Windows 10: Backup Files and Folders with File History in Windows 10

Discus and support Backup Files and Folders with File History in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Backup Files and Folders with File History in Windows 10 How to Manually Create a File History Backup in Windows 10 [img] Information... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, May 20, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Backup Files and Folders with File History in Windows 10

How to: Backup Files and Folders with File History in Windows 10

How to Manually Create a File History Backup in Windows 10

Backup Files and Folders with File History in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10.

You can use File History to automatically back up versions of your files on a schedule to a location you select to save to. You can select to save backups to an internal hard drive, externally connected drive (ex: USB drive), or you can save to a drive on a network. You can add, remove, and exclude folders to be backed up by File History.

The default folders in your "C:\Users\(user name)" profile folder are added by default to be backed up by File History.

Over time, you'll have a complete history of your files. If the originals are lost, damaged, or deleted, you can restore them. You can also browse and restore different versions of your files.

When you your files on demand.

This tutorial will show you how to manually create a back up of your files and folders on demand with File History in Windows 10.

Warning Making new backups with File History is no longer supported starting with Windows 10 build 16215.

You can still restore files from an existing File History backup though.

File History will eventually be replaced by a new feature called Timeline.

Update: File History is back in Windows 10 build 16226.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Manually Create File History Backup in Settings
    • Option Two: To Manually Create File History Backup in Control Panel

OPTION ONE [/i] To Manually Create File History Backup in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Update & security icon.

2. Click/tap on Backup on the left side, and click/tap on the More options on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the Back up now button. (see screenshot below)

4. File History will now create a new backup version of your files from your added folders. (see screenshot below)

5. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Manually Create File History Backup in Control Panel
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the File History icon.

2. Click/tap on the Run link under your selected drive. (see screenshot below)

3. File History will now create a new backup version of your files from your added folders. (see screenshot below)

4. When finished, you can close the File History control panel if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, May 20, 2015
  2. Leen76 Win User

Backup These Folders in File History

My Pictures and My Videos folders are inside the My Documents folder. In File History all three folders are listed in the Backup These Folders list. Does this mean that because of this, files in Pictures and Videos are backuped twice? Once when backing up
    My Documents and once when backing up My Pictures and My Videos (included in My Documents)

Leen76, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Bree Win User
    Backup files that Windows creates with file history

You should be able to use File Explorer to browse the folder on the NAS share that you selected. You can find out the share that's in use in:
    Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More options.

Select Drive for File History in Windows 10 | Tutorials

But to see what is held in File History and (if necessary) restore the files, see 'Step 3. To Open File History and Restore Previous File Version from Control Panel' in this tutorial.

Restore Files or Folders from File History in Windows 10 | Tutorials

4. Backup Files and Folders with File History in Windows 10

How to remove folders from File History

• I had the same problem, and I solved in this way:
      Control Panel -> System and Security-> File History -> Turn off
      Settings -> Update & Security -> Backup -> More options -> Stop using this drive
      Delete the File History folder in your external drive.
      Start using File History again.
      After performing these steps, I can easily add folders to "Excluded Folders" and they remain excluded. I checked in the actual files and folders saved on the external disk, and it works.
      I did not modify the default settings about how often and how long backup is saved, File History is working ok now. So I guess it is important to click "Stop using this drive" in order to reset File History.
      Hope this will be helpful

mila parker, Oct 26, 2019
  5. file history folder

Hi Carolyn,

There are many factors we can consider on why the file history folder is missing. The cause will vary on how you created your backup. For better assistance, please answer the following questions.

• Is this the first time that you're trying to create a backup? If yes, how are you trying to perform the task?
    • If not, how did you create your last backup?
    • Was the external drive removed?

In the meantime, you may follow the steps provided in this
    article
    to try backing up your files again.

Feel free to contact us if you need assistance with Windows.

Dennis Mop, Oct 26, 2019
  6. ALN
    ALN Win User
    How to remove folders from File History

That did it - Thank you Mila!

Thema:

Backup Files and Folders with File History in Windows 10

1. Backup Files and Folders with File History in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Backup Files Folders

2. File History backup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History backup?: If I move a file from folder A already backedup in file history to a USB PenDrive to folder B, will it show up in folder B in FileHistory in the next backup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup/2135cd57-4a9e-4e43-9fd9-d1bbff65e057
  3. File history backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history backup: I am planning to upgrade my notebook. Ques is, I have my data saved as file history in an external drive. Will I be able to restore data into new notebook from this file history?...
  4. Files/backup/File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files/backup/File History: I have an external hard drive for backups and files history, I went to storage and directed the files to its drive, so how do I stop 10 from sending it to onedrive and my external drive? Now that the program files are not on my C drive do I have to reinstall 10 again?...
  5. File History for Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History for Backup: Are there any complete instructions how File History works and how one is to retrieve documents when needed. Also how to eliminate files when File History back up drive is full. Thanks.... RDH...
  6. file history, adding folders to backup

file history, adding folders to backup: How do you backup file history? windows 10 pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-adding-folders-to-backup/b3568a24-a3c3-48dd-a5c6-e625870bcd15
  7. File History/File Backup

in Windows 10 Customization
    File History/File Backup: What is the best way to back up my computer using Windows 10. I was using File History and it is not completing the process. [ATTACH] The screen capture shows a backup on 10/15/2019 but there are no updated files showing up on my external drive....
  8. File History Backup and Appdata folders

File History Backup and Appdata folders: I have two home computers both on an Office 365 subscription, Windows 10. Many ‘C:\...User’ folders are included in ‘File History, Backup’ by default but the ‘User\AppData’ folder is not. Is it a good idea to include any of the AppData folders in backups? For example,...
  9. windows 10 file history backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 file history backup: will windows 10 File History backup copy program or app files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-file-history-backup/308458e8-34a9-403c-86e6-7b3049c8b24c"
  10. Window 10 backup (File History)

Window 10 backup (File History): I am backing up my data on an external drive, 74,5 GB. I did change the folders I wanted to be backed up, and the file explorer shows about 38 GB free space, but the Backup options of the settings shows the size of the backup as 74,8 GB and the total space on the drive as...