Windows 10: File History not running

Discus and support File History not running in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; [img] Greetings, I already tried asking this in Microsoft Answers. I see someone else has this problem. How do I get on again doesn't help.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Shanester, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Shanester Win User

File History not running

File History not running [​IMG]

Greetings,

I already tried asking this in Microsoft Answers. I see someone else has this problem.

How do I get on again doesn't help.

Settings shows the drive letter H: listing twice, which is weird.

A tutorial says you can reset File History without losing data. This is not the case. After resetting it I lost my settings. The data was still there, but clicking "Backup up now" begins backing up everything to a separate folder.

When I click Control Panel > System and Security > File History > Advanced settings > Open File History event logs to view recent events or errors, I get an error message saying:

End Snap-in
    This snap-in is not responding.
    To return to MMC and check the status of the snap-in, click Cancel.
    If you choose to end the snap-in immediately, you will lose any unsaved
    data. To end the snap-in now, click End Now.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
    Shane.

:)

Shanester, Feb 11, 2020
  2. #Jon# Win User

File History not backing up any files

Hello Victor

Thank you for the response. I had already checked that thread, but it hasn't helped me:

• The thread deals with Windows 8's implementation of File History, which is somewhat different to that of Windows 10.
    • Most of the thread deals with setting up File History (which I have already done, precisely following the recommended steps). The third link in the thread might have been useful since it appears to link to a page that deals with troubleshooting File History
      (as opposed to setting it up), but unfortunately the link is dead.
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#Jon#, Feb 11, 2020
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    File History restart

Hi Jim,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

To change the backup drive for File History, the current process should be stopped. I suggest you to try the steps listed below to stop file history on an older drive and restart it on a new drive:

Change File History backup drive:

• Open Settings and navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click on More Options, scroll down to locate
      Backup to a different drive section, and choose Stop Using Drive.
    • Plug in the new storage drive, navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Backup,
      and choose Add a Drive.
    • Restart File History and configure it by referring to the article

File History in Windows

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Feb 11, 2020
  4. Pavan_N Win User

File History not running

File history won't detect external HHD

Hi Simon,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have tried to resolve your issue,

What is the make and model of your computer and hard drive?

Follow the Methods below and check if that helps.

Method 1: Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with the Bluetooth adapter. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select
      Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

• Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

Method 2: I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the latest USB drivers from manufacturer's website.

Follow these steps to un-install the drivers:

• On the search bar type “ Device Manager
    • On the left pane locate “Universal Serial Bus Controllers” and expand by clicking on it.
    • Right on all the USB adapters and click “Uninstall’
    • Download the latest USB adapter setup file from the manufacturer’s website and install it.

Refer the Microsoft articles below and perform the steps suggested.

What if something goes wrong in File History?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-something-goes-wrong-file-history

Set up a drive for File History.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/set-drive-file-history

Applies to Windows 10.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Feb 11, 2020
Thema:

File History not running

1. File History not running - Similar Threads - File History running

2. file history will not run. "unusual condition encountered" with CONFIG file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file history will not run. "unusual condition encountered" with CONFIG file: Windows 10Unusual condition was encountered during finalization of a backup cycle for configuration C:\Users\JohnB\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\ConfigFile History will not do a back up of my files....
  3. file history will not run. "unusual condition encountered" with CONFIG file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file history will not run. "unusual condition encountered" with CONFIG file: Windows 10Unusual condition was encountered during finalization of a backup cycle for configuration C:\Users\JohnB\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\ConfigFile History will not do a back up of my files....
  4. Does File History run while the computer is sleeping?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Does File History run while the computer is sleeping?: 20H2 .867 We put our computers to sleep after 1 hour of no use. Every Friday morning I look at the File History drive to make sure it's still working. My wife gets into Quicken on a daily basis, so it's easy to see if her files are being backed up. This morning I looked and...
  5. Run command history

in Windows 10 Support
    Run command history: Hi! I recently noticed that if I insert a slash to my run command, it gives some old paths for a folder or file. I was unable to clear this even though I followed this tutorial: Clear File Explorer and Run Dialog Box History in Windows 10 If it's not a recent history, then...
  6. Windows + Run history

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows + Run history: Hoping to get some help. My issue: When I access the run function (my preferred method is Windows Key + R) it does not remember any of the commands I enter in it. It does however, seem to pull history from other places. e.g. If I type winver to check my version/build, the...
  7. File History-Not running auto cleanup of old versions.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History-Not running auto cleanup of old versions.: I use File History set to backup file versions daily and to keep for one month. The problem is file versions older than one month are not being cleaned up automatically. I have to manually clean up versions to remove the old ones. Does anyone know of a fix for this? 135477
  8. Run History

in Windows 10 Support
    Run History: How do I enable the "Run History"? I have a bad memory and like commands like "regedit" or "services.msc" to stay in the history so I can just select them from a drop down. It was working until one of the updates, how can I re-enable it again? 128369
  9. windows 10 file history not running but it says it is

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 file history not running but it says it is: My Windows 10 File History is set to run every 30 minutes, and it says it's connected to a working external drive. Everything seems as if it should be working, but it says the last update was done 3 months ago! File history folder on external drive has not changed size in...
  10. On Windows 10 when does file history run?

in Windows 10 Support
    On Windows 10 when does file history run?: Hello, On Windows 10 when does file history run? I have file history turned on and I have "Save copies of files" set to daily. When does Windows determine that it is time to run? I know that it is daily but when? Looking at the backed up file, they appear to have made...