Windows 10: File listed on desktop does not show in desktop

Discus and support File listed on desktop does not show in desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I search my computer for a file, it shows up in the found list with a bunch of numbers and letters after it that mean nothing to me. When I open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ken Lichtsinn, Oct 17, 2018.

1. File listed on desktop does not show in desktop

When I search my computer for a file, it shows up in the found list with a bunch of numbers and letters after it that mean nothing to me. When I open it and try to save it to the desktop, I'm told that it is already on the desktop. I look for it and its not there. When I click on the desktop binder and look for it there, it isn't there either.

:)

Ken Lichtsinn, Oct 17, 2018
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Oct 17, 2018
  3. sturpe Win User
    Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer

My Desktop is showing icons as normal. But if I try to find what is on my desktop by using file manager, I cannot find the icon. I also checked under C;\user my name, public, default and no desktop listed on any of them. Any suggestions?

sturpe, Oct 17, 2018
  4. File listed on desktop does not show in desktop

No icons on desktop after startup only

EagleEye,

Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried toggling the Desktop icons on and off?

• Right-click on an open area of the Desktop
    • Click: View
    • If Show Desktop icons is already checked, uncheck it.
    • Repeat the above steps a time or two.
    • Check: Show Desktop icons

Desktop Icons - Hide or Show in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

If no go on the above, right-click on the empty Desktop, and create a file.

Let us know if they come back on.

cottonball, Oct 17, 2018
Thema:

File listed on desktop does not show in desktop

1. File listed on desktop does not show in desktop - Similar Threads - File listed desktop

2. Some Desktop icons showing on the desktop but they do not in the Desktop folder in File...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Some Desktop icons showing on the desktop but they do not in the Desktop folder in File...: i started experiencing this issue of my software icons showing on desktop and not on desktop folder in explorer ive tried everything but nothing as changed...
  3. desktop files do not show

in Windows 10 Gaming
    desktop files do not show: "Hi there! I hope you are having a wonderful time . I wanted to ask, when I download anything and it gets saved on my desktop, it does not show up until I refresh my desktop. How can I fix this? Thank you!...
  4. desktop files do not show

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    desktop files do not show: "Hi there! I hope you are having a wonderful time . I wanted to ask, when I download anything and it gets saved on my desktop, it does not show up until I refresh my desktop. How can I fix this? Thank you!...
  5. My desktop does not show the documents in the desktop folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My desktop does not show the documents in the desktop folder: My desktop does not display the documents & files in the desktop folder. This happened after a factory reset.Operating system is Windows 11. Computer is a Lenovo IdesPad 3. Syncs with OneDrive * Moved from Community Center...
  6. My desktop does not show the documents in the desktop folder

My desktop does not show the documents in the desktop folder: My desktop does not display the documents & files in the desktop folder. This happened after a factory reset.Operating system is Windows 11. Computer is a Lenovo IdesPad 3. Syncs with OneDrive * Moved from Community Center...
  7. restore taskbar desktop list button, not the show desktop button

in Windows 10 Gaming
    restore taskbar desktop list button, not the show desktop button: So far, I like 11 with one exception. I like a clean desktop and, in the past, have hidden desktop icons and used a button on the taskbar that showed a list of them. I would then click on the one I wanted. Very clean and neat. That button seems to be gone. I am not referring...
  8. restore taskbar desktop list button, not the show desktop button

restore taskbar desktop list button, not the show desktop button: So far, I like 11 with one exception. I like a clean desktop and, in the past, have hidden desktop icons and used a button on the taskbar that showed a list of them. I would then click on the one I wanted. Very clean and neat. That button seems to be gone. I am not referring...
  9. how to show or list all items on Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to show or list all items on Desktop: All items show on regular desktop, but not listed under File Explorer. Question is, how to get all listed under File Explorer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-show-or-list-all-items-on-desktop/d32f5701-77f1-4452-95cb-36bf43add0a3
  10. Desktop does not show all file icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop does not show all file icons: My Win10 Desktop seems to have problems. I can copy a file to the desktop but no icon show for it. But pressing WindowsE shows it as present. Is there any way to ensure the icon always appears ? Thanks. 66529