Windows 10: File name too long

Discus and support File name too long in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I run Win10: [img] And a browser save on the HDD disk, with filename counting 255 letters. And I cannot rename it, move it, or delete it. And I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mesajflaviu, Mar 30, 2020.

1. File name too long

I run Win10:

File name too long [​IMG]

And a browser save on the HDD disk, with filename counting 255 letters. And I cannot rename it, move it, or delete it. And I have enabled in the group policy Win32 long file names: Enable or Disable Win32 Long Paths in Windows 10

How can I get rid of it ?

Regards,
    Flaviu.

:)

mesajflaviu, Mar 30, 2020

2. Can't open or rename file (name is too long) WTF?

Thread necro...

When in doubt, use CMD.

1. Run CMD
    2. Use CD <path> to navigate to the directory where the file exists.
    3. Use the DIR command to get the list of files. DIR will likely abbreviate the ridiculously long named file with NAME~1.
    4. Use the MOVE <source> <destination> to give the file a new name. For example: move "NAME~1" "MyShortName"
    5. ...
    6. PROFIT!

CMD is always the answer. *Wink File name too long ;)

FordGT90Concept, Mar 30, 2020
  3. Patrick8 Win User
    Can't open or rename file (name is too long) WTF?

Hi Ramsey,

I suggest to try "Long Path Tool" program .

before I have problem cannot copy file because file name too long. and after I found long path tool and now my problem solved

Thanks

Patrick

Patrick8, Mar 30, 2020
  4. File name too long

IE favourites names too long to import - need to edit html

Hi Ford,

I appreciate you for providing the details of the issue.

I suggest you to perform below steps, if you are comfortable in editing html file.

Follow the steps below.

• Right Click on Favorites file and Click on Open with Notepad.
    • Edit and shorten Favorite name after the Url link.
    • Click on Save.
    To import file try the below step.

• Open Internet Explorer.

• Click on the Star > "Add to Favorites" drop-down > "Import and Export"

• Mark a box "Import from a file".

• Click the Next button.

• Mark a box "Favorites".

• On the next screen, using a Browse button find a file "bookmarks.html", highlight it, and click OPEN.

• Click on "Next" button.

• Click on "Import" button.

• Click on "Finish" button.
    Disclaimer: Make sure to backup Favorites file.

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Ashwin V S, Mar 30, 2020
Thema:

File name too long

1. File name too long - Similar Threads - File name too

2. File name too long

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File name too long: I still have an issue with the error "the file name is too long", although it is not. Ihave changed the value in the longpathsenable Keyloccalmachine using registry editor, restarted and same issue !Please advise !...
  3. File name too long

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File name too long: I still have an issue with the error "the file name is too long", although it is not. Ihave changed the value in the longpathsenable Keyloccalmachine using registry editor, restarted and same issue !Please advise !...
  4. File name too long for destination folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File name too long for destination folder: I have a parent folder containing multiple subfolders 100+ within. Every folder name is well under 256 characters. I need to transfer this particular parent folder regularly between my computer drives and have had no issue initially. However out of the blue I start receiving...
  5. File name too long for destination folder

File name too long for destination folder: I have a parent folder containing multiple subfolders 100+ within. Every folder name is well under 256 characters. I need to transfer this particular parent folder regularly between my computer drives and have had no issue initially. However out of the blue I start receiving...
  6. File name too long for destination folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Get-SmbServerConfiguration: The file name is too long

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Get-SmbServerConfiguration: The file name is too long: Every time in PowerShell I run the Get-SmbServerConfiguration utility I am unable to get any good results as PowerShell puts up a "file name is too long" error. Curiously this doesn't happen when I run Get-SmbServerNetworkInterface, for example, even though that command is...
  8. Get-SmbServerConfiguration: The file name is too long

Get-SmbServerConfiguration: The file name is too long: Every time in PowerShell I run the Get-SmbServerConfiguration utility I am unable to get any good results as PowerShell puts up a "file name is too long" error. Curiously this doesn't happen when I run Get-SmbServerNetworkInterface, for example, even though that command is...
  9. Delete files with [TOO] long file names .......

in Windows 10 Customization
    Delete files with [TOO] long file names .......: The only post I could find was one from this forum from AUGUST 23, 2017 WINDOWS 7/64, but not Windows 10. That dealt with my problem: DELETING FILES WITH NAMES TOO LONG.The instructions said to: Hi, Windows uses a naming convention called Long Filenames LFN. The LFN system...
  10. file name too long

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file name too long: how to resolve this issue in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-name-too-long/783521af-d0ec-410b-826e-67a50a90159c"