Windows 10: File sharing doesn't work in a private network

Discus and support File sharing doesn't work in a private network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, This problem has been bugging me for quite some time now and I just can't solve it by myself. I got two Windows 10 Pro 64-bit computers... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ari, Jul 22, 2017.

1. ARI
    Ari Win User

File sharing doesn't work in a private network

Hi,

This problem has been bugging me for quite some time now and I just can't solve it by myself. I got two Windows 10 Pro 64-bit computers connected to a Asus RT-N56U and I try to share files between them. File shng works sometimes (not very often) when I keep restarting my computers, but normally the computers cannot be accessed. I only see the other computer as a "media device".

File sharing doesn't work in a private network [​IMG]

From shng settings I've set full permissions to "everyone". I also modified the security tab so that everything is allowed to everyone.
    From the advanced shng options I have network discovery, file and printer shng and 128-bit encryption turned on. Password protection is off and so is public folder shng. I've tried to set some windows services like DHCP-server to start automatically, but it made no difference. I also disabled homegroup.

The last thing I tried was to use windows 10 feature "network reset" on both computers and when I first restarted my computers both computers were accessible! After another restart the problem came back and now I'm unable to access the other computer.

Any idea what's causing this and what could I do to fix this?

:)

2. mlg63 Win User

Windows Firewall Preventing Scanner

Open Network & Sharing Center and check and change if necessary the Advanced Sharing Settings to Private Network with File and Printer Sharing. The default is Public network which doesn't allow sharing.

mlg63, Jul 22, 2017
  3. mlg63 Win User
    While trying to access HOmeGroup, I get message "This computer cannot join group".

Open Network and Sharing Center on both computers and change to Private Network with File Sharing if it is not selected already. The Default is Public Network with no sharing.

Now you should be able to join the homegroup. If that doesn't work-- You might need to Leave the Homegroup on each computer you own and set up a new homegroup on only one computer and join from the others. That is the only way to correct some errors with
    a Homegroup.

mlg63, Jul 22, 2017
  4. Eagle51 Win User

Hey Ari,
    What Win10 version/build are your running ? (winkey + r > type winver > click ok)

Note: If you are running 1703...
    There is a known issue with Win10 (1703) Network Discovery/Master Browser where networked PC's don't show up. You should still be able to access the shares using \\COMPUTERNAME\SHARENAME or \\192.168.X.Y\SHARENAME ... Until MS fixes the issue there are a couple of workarounds ...

1. Map your network shares. Map Network Drive in Windows 10 Windows 10 Network Sharing Tutorials
    2. If your router has a USB port and supports File Sharing (you have a USB Stick or USB HDD). Connect the USB Stick or USB HDD to your router and setup File Sharing thru your routers admin, this should make your router the Master Browser. Shut Down ALL PCs, then start each one and they should show up.

Eagle51, Jul 22, 2017
  5. n2ubp Win User
    The only way I've found around this is to assign all PC's to the same Home Group. Once I did that Sharing any folder between any PC on my home network worked as I expected. I am no expert on the subject.. just know it worked for me. -Steve

n2ubp, Jul 23, 2017
  6. ARI
    Ari Win User
    Apparently I'm running version 1703
    You were right, I can access the other computer just using "\\COMPUTERNAME". This was a very easy workaround and works for me, thank you for your help!

Thema:

1. File sharing doesn't work in a private network - Similar Threads - File sharing doesn't

2. Network share doesn't work as intended

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network share doesn't work as intended: On my main PC, when I try to connect to my other pc I'll call it "SERVER" here through the network tab in file explorer I get the error "Windows cannot access \\SERVER" with the description of "You do not have permission to access \\SERVER".I know network sharing is working...
  3. Network share doesn't work as intended

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network share doesn't work as intended: On my main PC, when I try to connect to my other pc I'll call it "SERVER" here through the network tab in file explorer I get the error "Windows cannot access \\SERVER" with the description of "You do not have permission to access \\SERVER".I know network sharing is working...
  4. Cannot share drive on private network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot share drive on private network: Workstation is WIFI Windows 10-> I'm trying to share the drive from this computer. I added permissions including guest, my outlook account and Everyone. Network password is off. IPV6 is off. File and printer share are on.Computer I'm trying to map the driver to is Ethernet...
  5. File sharing over private network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File sharing over private network: How do I enable password protected sharing only for public networks? I want to achieve free sharing for all computers on the private network no passwords necessary, but prevent any sharing on public networks. Is this impossible?...
  6. How to share file access on private network

How to share file access on private network: Have 2 notebooks running Win 10 Pro wirelessly connected to an Xfinety Home F70A-5 gateway router. What settings do I need to configure to allow them to share file access on a private network. 165165
  7. problem sharing folder in private network

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    problem sharing folder in private network: hello, I try to share a folder in a private network. First strange thing is that in the Sharing dialog (that contains 3 sections: Network File and Folder Sharing, Advanced Sharing, Password protection) in the first section the 'Share' button is geyed and unaccessable....
  8. PC Networking/Sharing on Private Network

PC Networking/Sharing on Private Network: We have latest Windows 10 on 3 PC's in our home. They are all connected to the same wifi secure connection. I've configured all 3 for sharing over a private network but have not been able to access the other PC's. I can see one of the computers but it is saying that I...
  9. File sharing across my private network

File sharing across my private network: Quite suddenly (I presume after a Windows 10 update) both of my TV media players are unable to access files on my Windows 10 computer. Amongst other things I have tried to turn off password protected sharing, but this change does not save correctly....
  10. Sharing folders on a private network

Sharing folders on a private network: I've been trying to set up my family's private network so the individual computers can access shared folders on the other systems, however one system is not cooperating. In network sharing advanced, I've set the computer to recognize it's on a private network, turned on...