Windows 10: File Sharing with Windows 10 Pro and Home mixed 5 PC's

Discus and support File Sharing with Windows 10 Pro and Home mixed 5 PC's in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have 5 pc's on my network. Only 1 of them can't share. When I try to access that pc from any of the other 4 pc's I get a message. windows cannot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CoolJeep-43, Feb 18, 2020.

1. File Sharing with Windows 10 Pro and Home mixed 5 PC's

I have 5 pc's on my network. Only 1 of them can't share. When I try to access that pc from any of the other 4 pc's I get a message.

windows cannot access \\XXXXX

you do not have permission to access \\XXXXX

contact your local network admin to request access

However, the pc that can't share, can access all of the other pc's

:)

CoolJeep-43, Feb 18, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 18, 2020
  3. GFR
    gfr Win User
    Share Files and Folders Over a Network with Win10Home & Pro & Win7Pro

@Brink,

I followed Option 1 with the following exceptions:
    • Windows 7 Pro: SMB 1.0 CIFS File Sharing Support, Automatic Removal, Client and Server and SMB Direct are not options.
    • Windows 10 Home: SMB 1.0 CIFS File Sharing Support, Automatic Removal, Client and Server are checked and SMB Direct is not an option.
    • Note: Windows 10 Pro: SMB 1.0 CIFS File Sharing Support, Automatic Removal, Client and Server and SMB Direct are checked.
    Clearly the problem is sharing with Windows 10 Pro...

Sharing with Windows 10 Pro
    • Windows 10 Pro can reach files and folders on Windows 7 Pro
    • Windows 10 Pro cannot reach files and folders on Windows 10 Home; Message: Windows cannot access...
    • Windows 10 Home cannot reach files and folders on Windows 10 Pro; Message: Enter your credentials
    • Windows 7 Pro cannot reach files and folders on Windows 10 Pro; Message: Enter your password
    Sharing Between Windows 10 Home and Windows 7 Pro
    • Windows 10 Home can reach files and folders on Windows 7 Pro
    • Windows 7 Pro can reach files and folders on Windows 10 Home
    Any thoughts on what I should do?

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I followed Option 2 without exceptions and received the same results as above.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I with much help, I solve my networking problem!

The first step was to follow Option 1 and Option 2 from the first post of this thread/tutorial.

The second step was to create a new password-protected local (user) account with administrator privileges and without using an email or phone number when creating the new user account on the Windows 10 Pro machine.

The third step was to create a new password-protected user account with administrator privileges on the Windows 7 Pro machine with the exact same username and password as the new local account on the Windows 10 Pro machine.

When I attempted to share/access a file on the Windows 10 Pro machine from the Windows 7 Pro machine, I simply entered the new username and password from above when asked for my network credentials and puff, it worked.

A similar process was followed for networking the Windows 10 Pro and Home machines.

4. File Sharing with Windows 10 Pro and Home mixed 5 PC's

SHARING FILES WITH WINDOWS 7

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Have you made any changes on your PC?
    • Did you perform any Windows update recently?
    • Are you connected to Domain network?

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if that helps.

1. To share files over file explorer refer the following

article
    2. Refer article for
      file sharing
      over a network.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking, Yes or No.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Feb 18, 2020
Thema:

File Sharing with Windows 10 Pro and Home mixed 5 PC's

1. File Sharing with Windows 10 Pro and Home mixed 5 PC's - Similar Threads - File Sharing Pro

2. Share files Win 10 Pro to Win 11 Home?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Share files Win 10 Pro to Win 11 Home?: I have a new laptop with Win 11 Home, and I need full access to files and drives on my Win 10 Home Desktop.1 Both computers on the same network: If I upgrade the Desktop to Win10 Pro, will I have full read/write access to those using the Win 11 Home Laptop or do I have to...
  3. Share files Win 10 Pro to Win 11 Home?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Share files Win 10 Pro to Win 11 Home?: I have a new laptop with Win 11 Home, and I need full access to files and drives on my Win 10 Home Desktop.1 Both computers on the same network: If I upgrade the Desktop to Win10 Pro, will I have full read/write access to those using the Win 11 Home Laptop or do I have to...
  4. Share files Win 10 Pro to Win 11 Home?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File Sharing on Windows 10 Home

File Sharing on Windows 10 Home: Hi, I already have PC with Windows 10 Home and i plan to buy another PC with Windows 10 Home. Both PC will be connected using LAN cable. Can I share file between the this both PC ? If Yes, how do it ? Thanks in advace. Yusufdeen...
  6. File sharing between windows 10 home and windows 10 pro.

File sharing between windows 10 home and windows 10 pro.: I am trying to share complete drives and not just a media folder between two computers. After following the procedures as seen on Youtube. The windows 10 pro computer can open the folders on the windows 10 home computer with no issues. However, the windows 10 home computer...
  7. Sharing Files - Home Network - Window 10

Sharing Files - Home Network - Window 10: I have a a TP-Link router that I have a hard drive (HHD) connected. Within my home network, my Smart TVs, Android Tablets, and Windows 8 Laptops can see the HHD no problem. My Windows 10 machine is not able to see it. The Win 10 machine file explorer: - Under Computer it...
  8. Windows 10 home network / file sharing

Windows 10 home network / file sharing: This is an extension of a thread of the same name in Feb 2019. I've been away for the last 2 weeks and now find I cannot reply on the earlier thread. So I'll start again with an expanded version of the problem. I have 3 Windows 10 computers connected over a wifi...
  9. File Sharing Windows 10 Home

File Sharing Windows 10 Home: I have 2 windows 10 Home PC connected via an Ethernet switch. Comp A can see ComB and read and write files to a public folder but not any other locations. ComB can see Comp A but can access any files. The message Windows cannot access \\Compx keeps popping up when you try to...
  10. File sharing having trouble mixed XP, XP virtual, and Windows 10

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    File sharing having trouble mixed XP, XP virtual, and Windows 10: I have a Hyper-V virtual instance of Windows XP running under Windows 10. The network share from the Windows 10 side is failing to be usable under the XP instance due to a "you lack permission to access". I have a few other XP machines on the network that are able to...