Windows 10: Enable or Disable SMB1 File Sharing Protocol in Windows

Discus and support Enable or Disable SMB1 File Sharing Protocol in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Looking Good *Smile There is a change with the SCU on Windows 10 The feature set no longer contains "auto disable SMB1" Key which Is shown in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Barman58, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Barman58 Win User

Enable or Disable SMB1 File Sharing Protocol in Windows

Looking Good *Smile

There is a change with the SCU on Windows 10 The feature set no longer contains "auto disable SMB1" Key which Is shown in the Screenshots but not mentioned in the text *Wink

Also the fact that the SMB1 protocol is disabled, as well as preventing access to Linux shares (like a lot of NAS), can prevent the whole computers group showing under the Network tree in the File explorer, this is due to the file explorer still using the old Network "Master Browser" system from Windows NT, and the Homegroup system being removed *Eek You can still show them and access them via the FQDN, [Fully Qualified Domain Name] system - \\computer\share but not everyone will remember this, ( I took a while).

I tried a few different systems to see my shares but only the enabling of the SMB1 Server and Client (I used Windows Features route), worked.

The original Wanncry exploit has been closed and I run a decent AM system so I feel OK to run with it active but others would need to make their own mind up

:)

Barman58, Apr 7, 2018

2. SMB1 disabled; No longer have access to mapped network shares via File Explorer

As per Microsoft suggestion I disabled the SMB1 protocol to stave off Wcry type attacks. At the same time I made sure SMB2 protocol was enabled. Now, i can no longer access mapped network shares using File Explorer. To verify the situation I turned SMB1
    back on and was again able to use File Explorer successfully. The network drive is operating properly; I checked using the browser admin features over IP. At present SMB1 is still off and SMB2 is on.

What must I do short of re-enabling SMB1 to allow File Explorer to access the network drive?

M.B.

Config; Windows 10 Pro - latest, Synology DSM - latest

Major Bystander, Apr 7, 2018
  3. CarolLJ Win User
    Computer Browser Service Missing on Windows 10 version 1703

Yes, after seeing that I recalled disabling it on both my Win7 desktop and 10 notebook. So now I know 'why' I have no Computer Browser Service either. I guess I was right after all, it's not necessary.

Edit: Hmmm... Actually the SMB1 protocol was already disabled. I recall doing a registry edit, just to make sure.

CarolLJ, Apr 7, 2018
Thema:

Enable or Disable SMB1 File Sharing Protocol in Windows

1. Enable or Disable SMB1 File Sharing Protocol in Windows - Similar Threads - Enable Disable SMB1

2. Enable Cloud Sharing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enable Cloud Sharing: On my WIndows 10 PC playing simple Microsoft solitaire games and all the sudden everytime I sign on I get a message that I need to go to options and enable cloud sharing and I have no idea how to do that. Can someone please tell me how to do that?...
  3. Why enable file and printer sharing?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why enable file and printer sharing?: Why enable file and printer sharing ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/why-enable-file-and-printer-sharing/c186817e-7957-45d2-adab-aa9fa38ef923"
  4. Registry key for file and print sharing disabling

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Registry key for file and print sharing disabling: Hey can anybody help me find a script or a registry key that will uncheck it or disable the file and print sharing on windows 7. I been trying to find a way to do it but i cant find anything that works... 85160
  5. Enabling/disabling file sharing with registry file

Enabling/disabling file sharing with registry file: A friend has a file sharing on with their box so they can play their media files on their WDTV. It's worked fine for years with 7 and 10 but in the last half year it seems to be turning off randomly although still on when i go to Advanced Sharing Settings. Is there a way to...
  6. Network Protocols, which to enable/disable for my PC usage

Network Protocols, which to enable/disable for my PC usage: Which Network Protocols should I enable or disable for my PC? My PC usage and router set up: - file downloading while also browsing web or streaming video - I don't do any lan/network sharing - Torrent file sharing - QOS is disabled on my router - The PC is connected...
  7. SMB1 disabled, SMB2 enabled; Can no longer access network shares

SMB1 disabled, SMB2 enabled; Can no longer access network shares: Hey All, After the recent Wanncry attacks I disabled SMB1 protocol as per the cautionary suggestions from Msft et al. Now I can no longer access my network shares via File Explorer. I am still able to access the network device using IP address via browser. However, the...
  8. Enable or Disable SuperFetch in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable SuperFetch in Windows: If one wanted to fully disable superfetch on SSD shouldn't it also be disabled in the registry too?: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters\EnableSuperfetch (DWORD value doesn't exist by default and to disable...
  9. Enable or Disable Thumbnail Previews in File Explorer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Thumbnail Previews in File Explorer in Windows 10: I'm not sure whether to post here or someplace else, because I'm not sure whether the issue is with W10 and this tutorial, or with my specific installation of W10. In Option Four, Step 1, I followed the link to the W7 tutorial, but I got stymied at Step 1. My Run dialog can't...
  10. Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows: Hi Brink ,if I disable NTFS File Compression first,does Compact OS disabled too? 97780

Users found this page by searching for:

1. smb1 aktivieren win 10 1803 registry