Windows 10: Enable or Disable SMB1 File Sharing Protocol in Windows

Discus and support Enable or Disable SMB1 File Sharing Protocol in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable SMB1 File Sharing Protocol in Windows How to Enable or Disable SMB1 File Sharing Protocol in Windows The Server Message... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Barman58, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Barman58 Win User

Enable or Disable SMB1 File Sharing Protocol in Windows

How to: Enable or Disable SMB1 File Sharing Protocol in Windows

How to Enable or Disable SMB1 File Sharing Protocol in Windows

The Server Message Block (SMB) Protocol is a network file sharing protocol, and as implemented in Microsoft Windows is known as Microsoft SMB Protocol. The set of message packets that defines a particular version of the protocol is called a dialect. The Common Internet File System (CIFS) Protocol is a dialect of SMB. Both SMB and CIFS are also available on VMS, several versions of Unix, and other operating systems.

Although its main purpose is file sharing, additional Microsoft SMB Protocol functionality includes the following:
    For security reasons, Microsoft recommends that you disable SMB1 immediately. Ransomware targets the vulnerabilities of the SMB service of the Windows operating system to propagate. To defend yourself against WannaCrypt ransomware it is imperative that you disable SMB1 as well as install the patches released by Microsoft.

When you use SMB1, you lose key protections offered by later SMB protocol versions:
    Starting in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and Windows Server, version 1709 (RS3), the Server Message Block version 1 (SMB1) network protocol is no longer installed (enabled) by default. It was superseded by SMB2 and later protocols starting in 2007. Microsoft publicly deprecated the SMB1 protocol in 2014.

SMB1 has the following behavior in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and Windows Server, version 1709 (RS3):
    • SMB1 now has both client and server sub-features that can be uninstalled separately.
    • Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Education no longer contain the SMB1 client or server by default after a clean installation.
    • Windows Server 2016 no longer contains the SMB1 client or server by default after a clean installation.
    • Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional no longer contain the SMB1 server by default after a clean installation.
    • Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional still contain the SMB1 client by default after a clean installation. If the SMB1 client is not used for 15 days in total (excluding the computer being turned off), it automatically uninstalls itself.
    • In-place upgrades and Insider flights of Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional do not automatically remove SMB1 initially. If the SMB1 client or server is not used for 15 days in total (excluding the time during which the computer is off), they each automatically uninstall themselves.
    • In-place upgrades and Insider flights of Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Education do not automatically remove SMB1. An administrator must decide to uninstall SMB1 in these managed environments.
    • Automatic removal of SMB1 after 15 days is a one-time operation. If an administrator re-installs SMB1, no further attempts will be made to uninstall it.
    • The SMB version 2.02, 2.1, 3.0, 3.02, and 3.1.1 features are still fully supported and included by default as part of the SMB2 binaries.
    • Because the Computer Browser service relies on SMB1, the service is uninstalled if the SMB1 client or server is uninstalled. This means that Explorer Network can no longer display Windows computers through the legacy NetBIOS datagram browsing method.
    • SMB1 can still be reinstalled in all editions of Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016.
    SMB1 has the following behavior change starting in Windows 10 Spring Creators Update version 1803 (RS4):
    • SMB1 will no longer be automatically disabled, but you will have to enable it (if wanted) and restart the computer to apply.
    *Arrow If you try to connect to devices that support only SMB1, or if these devices try to connect to you, you may receive an error message if SMB1 is disabled.

For more reference material about SMB1, see:
    This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support protocol feature in Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable SMB1.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Enable or Disable SMB1 in Windows 7 using PowerShell
    • Option Two: To Enable or Disable SMB1 in Windows 8 using PowerShell
    • Option Three: To Enable or Disable SMB1 in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 using Windows Features
    • Option Four: To Enable or Disable SMB1 in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 using Command Prompt
    • Option Five: To Enable or Disable SMB1 in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 using PowerShell

OPTION ONE [/i] To Enable or Disable SMB1 in Windows 7 using PowerShell
    1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Type the command below you want to use into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter.
    (Disable SMB1)
    Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters" SMB1 -Type DWORD -Value 0 –Force

OR

(Enable SMB1)
    Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters" SMB1 -Type DWORD -Value 1 –Force

3. Close the elevated PowerShell, and restart the computer to apply.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Enable or Disable SMB1 in Windows 8 using PowerShell

2. Type the command below you want to use into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter.
    (Disable SMB1)
    Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB1Protocol $false

OR

(Enable SMB1)
    Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB1Protocol $true
    3. Close the elevated PowerShell, and restart the computer to apply.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Enable or Disable SMB1 in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 using Windows Features
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Programs and Features icon.

2. Click/tap on the Turn Windows features on or off link on the left side. (see screenshot below)

*note This will open the C:\Windows\System32\OptionalFeatures.exe file.

Enable or Disable SMB1 File Sharing Protocol in Windows [​IMG]

3. Check (enable) or uncheck (disable) the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support feature for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note If you like, you could also only check CIFS Client or CIFS Server for what you want. It s recommended to uncheck Automatic Removal.

4. When ready, click/tap on the Restart now button to immediately restart the computer to apply. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Enable or Disable SMB1 in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 using Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated Command Prompt.

2. Type the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter to see if SMB1 is currently enabled or disabled. (see screenshots below)
    *Arrow Dism /online /Get-Features /format:table | find "SMB1Protocol"

3. Type the command below you want to use into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)
    (Disable SMB1)
    Dism /online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:"SMB1Protocol"

OR

(Enable SMB1)
    Dism /online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:"SMB1Protocol" -All
    4. When prompted and ready, type y to immediately restart the computer to apply.

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Enable or Disable SMB1 in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 using PowerShell

2. Type the command below into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter to see if SMB1 is currently enabled or disabled. (see screenshots below)
    *Arrow Get-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName "SMB1Protocol"

3. Type the command below you want to use into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)
    (Disable SMB1)
    Disable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName "SMB1Protocol"

OR

(Enable SMB1)
    Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName "SMB1Protocol" -All
    4. When prompted and ready, type y and press Enter to immediately restart the computer to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Barman58, Apr 7, 2018

2. SMB1 disabled; No longer have access to mapped network shares via File Explorer

As per Microsoft suggestion I disabled the SMB1 protocol to stave off Wcry type attacks. At the same time I made sure SMB2 protocol was enabled. Now, i can no longer access mapped network shares using File Explorer. To verify the situation I turned SMB1
    back on and was again able to use File Explorer successfully. The network drive is operating properly; I checked using the browser admin features over IP. At present SMB1 is still off and SMB2 is on.

What must I do short of re-enabling SMB1 to allow File Explorer to access the network drive?

M.B.

Config; Windows 10 Pro - latest, Synology DSM - latest

Major Bystander, Apr 7, 2018
  3. CarolLJ Win User
    Computer Browser Service Missing on Windows 10 version 1703

Yes, after seeing that I recalled disabling it on both my Win7 desktop and 10 notebook. So now I know 'why' I have no Computer Browser Service either. I guess I was right after all, it's not necessary.

Edit: Hmmm... Actually the SMB1 protocol was already disabled. I recall doing a registry edit, just to make sure.

CarolLJ, Apr 7, 2018
Thema:

Enable or Disable SMB1 File Sharing Protocol in Windows

1. Enable or Disable SMB1 File Sharing Protocol in Windows - Similar Threads - Enable Disable SMB1

2. smb1 disabled?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    smb1 disabled?: My NAS uses SMB1. The last time I restarted, Windows no longer allows connections to my NAS because they have decided that SMB1 is not safe enough for use in my local network. Is there a way around this?...
  3. smb1 disabled?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    smb1 disabled?: My NAS uses SMB1. The last time I restarted, Windows no longer allows connections to my NAS because they have decided that SMB1 is not safe enough for use in my local network. Is there a way around this?...
  4. Microsoft will disable the SMB1 client in Windows this year

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft will disable the SMB1 client in Windows this year: Microsoft announced plans to disable SMB1 (Server Message Block) in Windows this week. The SMB1 protocol was created in 1983 at IBM and Microsoft began to fade out support for the product in 2017 with the release of the Fall Creators Update for the company's Windows 10...
  5. The ms-appinstaller protocol has been disabled? Enable it.

in Windows 10 News
    The ms-appinstaller protocol has been disabled? Enable it.: [ATTACH]Enterprise admins can now re-enable the MSIX ms-appinstaller protocol handler that Microsoft earlier disabled after Emotet malware was used by threat actors to exploit the feature to deliver malicious Windows App Installer packages. This post describes how to enable...
  6. XP SP3 PC can't authenticate for shares on Windows 10 PC, SMB1 enabled

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    XP SP3 PC can't authenticate for shares on Windows 10 PC, SMB1 enabled: I just completed a fresh installation of Windows XP on an old laptop that I have. Service pack 3 has been installed and I can reach the internet without any issues. When I try to map a network drive to my Windows 10 computer (Version 20H2) I am told that the account is...
  7. need SMB1 protocol and drivers for obsolete NAS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    need SMB1 protocol and drivers for obsolete NAS: I have an old Western Digital World Book Network Attached Storage that uses SMB1 protocol. I have new Windows 10 Home computer that is post SMB1. Is there a simple way for me to add the SMB1 drivers so I can use my NAS. The Knowledge Base articles seem confusing and...
  8. Enabling/disabling file sharing with registry file

Enabling/disabling file sharing with registry file: A friend has a file sharing on with their box so they can play their media files on their WDTV. It's worked fine for years with 7 and 10 but in the last half year it seems to be turning off randomly although still on when i go to Advanced Sharing Settings. Is there a way to...
  9. SMB1 disabled, SMB2 enabled; Can no longer access network shares

SMB1 disabled, SMB2 enabled; Can no longer access network shares: Hey All, After the recent Wanncry attacks I disabled SMB1 protocol as per the cautionary suggestions from Msft et al. Now I can no longer access my network shares via File Explorer. I am still able to access the network device using IP address via browser. However, the...
  10. Enable or Disable Shared Experiences in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Shared Experiences in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Shared Experiences in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Shared Experiences in Windows 10 Microsoft has introduced a new Shared Experiences feature (formerly referred as Project Rome and Cross-Device Experiences) in Windows 10 Creators Update....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. smb1 file sharing feature

2. smb1 aktivieren win 10 1803 registry