Windows 10: FileHistory says I've never done a backup..err

Discus and support FileHistory says I've never done a backup..err in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Having had a disaster meaning I had to rest my system, and stupidly not having backed up my files for sometime, I am now keeping an external drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by chipwood, Jul 24, 2017.

1. chipwood Win User

FileHistory says I've never done a backup..err

Having had a disaster meaning I had to rest my system, and stupidly not having backed up my files for sometime, I am now keeping an external drive connected to record FileHistory. However, on going to Settings>Update & Security>Backup> backup Options it seems I have never done a backup before. I'm confused, especially as Add or Remove Folders for File History in Windows 10 has a warning about FileHistory now being unsupported.
    My system details are attached.

Can you explain, please, and give me guidance as to how I should proceed with Backups, and why I am getting the confusing message?

:)

chipwood, Jul 24, 2017
  2. 'Mike P Win User

System image back up vanishes!

I've not experienced any issues with BackUp(FileHistory), but then again I've not had reason to actually try to restore from it. I really kind of need it for up to the moment backup on at least one file. But AOMEI has instant sync it says - so I may
    give that a go.

'Mike P, Jul 24, 2017
  3. Bug: Windows 10 (build 14393.693) FileHistory when using hidden network share as backup destination

Okay. Seems like it's impossible to report a bug as a standard consumer. I don't wanna call Microsoft supporter or anything - I just want to say that I've found a bug.

It's pretty simple to reproduce.

1. You have to have a FileHistory running using a network location as backup destination.

2. Disconnect the backup share (like move the folder so FileHistory cannot find it anymore).

3. Setup a new network share but make the new share hidden (so you have to use $ to browse it)

4. Enter FileHistory configuration

5. Configure FileHistory to use the new share - browse your way in \\someserver\share$\

6. FileHistory now asks you if you want to move previous FileHistory to the new location. Click Yes.

7. FileHistory now fails. Note that when you have clicked Ok to the fail dialog the screen shows your new network backup destination. BUT there's no $ in the path. The FileHistory process is kind of halted and you cannot start it, because the new destination
    does not exist (due to lack of $ in path).

8. To workaround, reproduce step 4-5 but in step 6 click No to move previous FileHistory.

9. Now the label has the new network path has the $ in its destination and the FileHistory is now working.

peteringemann, Jul 24, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jul 24, 2017
  5. RolandJS Win User
    +1 on Brink's suggestion. I may be wrong, however to me, File History is not a backup that would restore an OS partition or a data partition if hit by viri or malware strong enough to take out an OS partition, or if hit by ransomware, any/all internal and external storage media would be hit within minutes or hours.

RolandJS, Jul 25, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Roland, *Smile

You're correct. File History will only back up files in selected folders.

Brink, Jul 25, 2017
  7. Helmut Win User
    File History is for user files, a sort of Time Machine of changing files. Easily accessible from File Explorer History button.
    You cannot use it for system backup.

For System backup you can Image your drives.

I do both the above. File History on a 12 hour schedule, System Image roughly monthly, keeping the last three or so.

MS does not explain it properly, very confusing mess, munged with legacy stuff from Windows 7. Not exactly simple for a consumer user to sort out.
    On mine this legacy stuff says no backup (Windows 7 style) which is true. However this has nothing to do with File History which came in Windows 8/10.

I think it's this that has made you think File History is not working.
    If you open File Explorer with Home Tab selected and Ribbon showing you should see a History icon. This is normally greyed out, but go to a folder where File History is operating it lights up. Select that and you see the File History.

Helmut, Jul 25, 2017
  8. lx07 Win User

Exactly. A system image is not an alternative to File History - you can't browse through previous versions of a file using Macrium Reflect - you would have to load each image backup and have a look. This is both impractical and not what the software was designed for.

Neither though is File History an alternative to a system image as you can't rebuild your system from it.

Apparently File History is to be replaced with "Timeline" (which sounds like a copy of MacOS Time Machine which allows restoring both individual files and OS at a certain time) but as there is currently zero information as to when (or even if) this may happen, whether it will support importing File History or not we are stuck in limbo.

I would (and do) use both until it becomes clearer.

9. f14tomcat Win User
    Not entirely correct. You don't need to load/restore the image to look, or even copy a file. Simply mount the image thru Macrium. It assigns a drive letter, and you use the Explore function. Looks just like opening in Explorer.

f14tomcat, Jul 25, 2017
  10. lx07 Win User
    It is entirely correct (if you will forgive me using the word "load" to mean "mount" - I didn't mean "restore").

If I want to see the last few versions of my document though I'd rather use (the built in) File History than mount my last ten macrium backups and then separately browse to

G:\Users\Hali\Documents\Folder\Folder\folder\Document.doc
    H:\Users\Hali\Documents\Folder\Folder\folder\Document.doc
    I:\Users\Hali\Documents\Folder\Folder\folder\Document.doc
    J:\Users\Hali\Documents\Folder\Folder\folder\Document.doc
    K:\Users\Hali\Documents\Folder\Folder\folder\Document.doc
    etc

to compare them. That is what File History is for and it works very well.

Usually.

11. f14tomcat Win User
    Apologies. I took you literally....that you could not browse previous versions of a file.

f14tomcat, Jul 25, 2017
  12. lx07 Win User
    No worries - I use the wrong word sometimes...

I really hope File History isn't abandoned before there is something to replace it as it is excellent for what it is for.

13. f14tomcat Win User

*Smile...

f14tomcat, Jul 25, 2017
  14. RolandJS Win User
    To each their own, agreed! I've been making full images of my Data partition on my computers onto two dedicated HDs (per each computer), each such HD mostly has two Cs and two Ds. Not doing incremental or differential backups and not doing File History is simply my personal choice, not really making many changes to my data docs & texts, all ok so far for me. However, I enjoy learning a lot from you all because of the variety of experience and expertise I find in here!

RolandJS, Jul 26, 2017
  15. chipwood Win User
    FileHistory says I've never done a backup..err [​IMG]
    I hope I've achieved a full system back up. Here are the details with annotation of what is on the computer and the external drive. On the latter the second item is extra. Please, what would it be?
    From previous posts I am not sure about use of differential backups to keep data files u.t.d. or whether to continue with File History for that. Sorry to be so useless, but I think I need to keep it simple. Comments?

chipwood, Aug 25, 2017
Thema:

1. FileHistory says I've never done a backup..err - Similar Threads - FileHistory says I've

2. Pc is crashing, I've done everything

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Pc is crashing, I've done everything: It's every day that it happens. It's the problem with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION I'm so done with this. Every day when I'm playing games or doing work I always have the thought in my head that my PC's going to crash and I'm going to lose progress on the game or on the work that...
  3. I've never seen it, before?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I've never seen it, before?: My computer is a, Dell laptop.Running windows 10And for some reason, I get this message?I've never seen it, before?Is this something, to do with my rights?What do I, have to do. To, fix it?Thanks, for reading . . . Jerry...
  4. I've never seen it, before?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I've never seen it, before?: My computer is a, Dell laptop.Running windows 10And for some reason, I get this message?I've never seen it, before?Is this something, to do with my rights?What do I, have to do. To, fix it?Thanks, for reading . . . Jerry...
  5. I've never seen it, before?

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. WINDOWS 10 - FILEHISTORY BACKUPS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WINDOWS 10 - FILEHISTORY BACKUPS: Hi. Q. I have an external hard drive which I have been using to copy files from a laptop using FileHistory. I now have a second laptop and I would like to copy files from it to the same drive I've been using for my other laptop, also using FileHistory. I want to make sure...
  7. FileHistory backup

FileHistory backup: Regarding FileHistory backup drive, if I select "Stop using device" can I still use the same external hard drive by selecting "Add a drive"? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/filehistory-backup/23338f5f-61e8-4e31-bcce-25018f07f0f0
  8. Restoring not very old FileHistory backups

Restoring not very old FileHistory backups: I have an issue trying to restore files from Windows 10 FileHistory. For the first time, on May 27 2020, I used option : Settings Update & Security Backup Automatically back up my files I had 'file history' turned on. The backups are being written to an external drive....
  9. Filehistory retrieve backup

Filehistory retrieve backup: Hi all, I have set up a filehistory backup to backup specific folders from my hard drive to an external SSD. This has worked perfectly and it the backup shows on my SSD. All files are backed up and given a name extension with the date the files were backed up. So far so...
  10. No idea what I've done!

in Windows 10 Support
    No idea what I've done!: [img] Hi OK I am having File Explorer problems. Firstly under "This PC" I seem to have 2 Desktop folders (see pic) By default, I have downloaded files (music, movies etc) going straight onto the desktop. Tonight, however, I couldn't find my recently downloaded files...