Windows 10: Find Product Key in Windows 10

Discus and support Find Product Key in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Hello , *Smile If this is for a free Windows 10, then you will not have a product key available for it. Instead, the PC gets registered on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Friction, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Find Product Key in Windows 10

Thanks! Yes, I got it through the free upgrade. So what has become of my Windows 7 key? If I do a clean install, Win 10 will activate itself again, right?

blackbirdabhi, Oct 30, 2015
  2. Brink
    Brink New Member

Correct, as long as Windows 10 is installed on the same PC.

Your Windows 7 product key is still valid, but you have agreed to no longer use it to activate Windows 7 with unless you uninstall the free Windows 10 first. It's an agreement in exchange for the free Windows 10.

Brink, Oct 30, 2015
  3. Dari Win User
    Thanks so much

4. Find Product Key in Windows 10

If you should decide to keep the previous version running the alternative option of course would be to buy a separate key for 10 and run with a dual boot. This however is usually an option for the desktop where extra drives can be added when necessary especially for anyone wanting to keep each version on a separate drive as a stand alone install.

(While some will dual boot OSs on the same drive if something comes up? then they get stuck without any OS! being the main reason for that.)

Night Hawk, Nov 22, 2015
  5. jb0nez Win User
    I know this thread is a bit old but I want to add important info.
    First if you upgraded, as mentioned, your product key is the generic one. Don't bother with Belarc or any other key finder they will be useless

I had to RMA my mobo. Win 10 booted fine. Also replaced gpu, OS SSD (Macrium Reflect cloned), data drives, and RAM and it still booted activated. Only original component is cpu.

And my ***** mobo died again but this time no RMA and can't be bought anymore. Grrrrrr. That's why I'm here!

jb0nez, Jan 12, 2016
  6. Hello jb0nez Welcome to the Ten Forums!

This is a guide thread here so the answer would need to be added to the support thread you posted a weeks back when first arriving which saw the advice to contact MS directly if you can by phone to speak with a live operator. Since the second replacement board failed and you now need a substitution as far as model if not both make and model you would either speak directly to someone at MS or end up needing to purchase a key unless you have a retail key for one of the previous versions not presently in use.

Even if you have the media for the previous version to see a clean install that install would need to be activated by MS in order to go with the key or GenuineTicket.xml file option seen in another guide for a clean install of 10. Otherwise the 3rd board being a change would be seen as a new pc. Unfortunately if you are not able to call into MS on their toll free number you are likely going to be looking at the need to buy a key. The guide for seeing a clean install of 10 without first upgrading provided you can see a previous version activated is seen at: Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums

Night Hawk, Feb 2, 2016
  7. jb0nez Win User
    So weird, I changed every component but my cpu and windows didn't blink. Bought a used identical mobo while mine is being RMA'd and THIS time win 10 complained. I got a chat open and they basically offered to sell me a real product key for Windows 10 Pro for $40. I did it. I like having a real key. Why it worked before but not this time I have no idea--as mentioned the mobo identical make and model!

jb0nez, Feb 2, 2016
  8. Find Product Key in Windows 10

The first swap was for the exact same make and model board only with a different serial number but due to the MS ease on activation to a degree in order to get people to upgrade even out of bogey Windows installs into a legit 10 you saw a slight leave way allowing that to slide for the moment until that board failed.

You may want to start looking closely as to just why the replacement went in case you have something not connected properly? The company may have simply discontinued the board due to a fault they realized was easier(and cheaper) to fix by putting out a totally different model. The change in model and if change in brand was also seen would be a major change as you saw requiring you to buy the license likely OEM for that low a price.

Here keeping 7 on along with 10 I simply invested in a Black Friday discount to be able to keep both versions running on the present build and once this main build has to be redone if not replaced entirely 7 will of course be retired likely since the driver support may no longer be available when that time comes.

With this now being the 3rd of February and for anyone who hasn't seen the 10 app removed and the OS upgrade feature put out of commission 10 will now come in as the recommended update since the 10 app will no longer see the opt out option. The February 1st deadline for the change had been announced in the Windows Blog back in October as a note to add here. But that won't be any concern you there! *Smile

Night Hawk, Feb 2, 2016
  9. Hi Shawn,

I tried to run ShowKeyPlus, but my AV sw declares it unsafe. Instead. I used the "slmgr /dlv" command to get the info ....

Does the above provide the same info as ShowkeyPlus ?

thanks

Geoff

Geoff Daniell, Apr 24, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Geoff, *Smile

The command will only show you the last 4 digits of the product key you are currently activated with.

ShowKeyPlus is 100% sage if you would like to add it to the exception list of your AV program to allow it to run.

Brink, Apr 24, 2016
  11. showKeyPlus worked in one of my PC (upgraded from 8.1 retail to window 10)
    It can show the original Key of window 8.1

But showKeyPlus doesn't work on my another PC (upgraded from window 7 to window 8 to window 8.1 to window 10)
    The product Key that it shows is "BBBBB-BBBBB-BBBBB-BBBBB-BBBBB"

superfatball, Jun 5, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello superfatball, *Smile

Is the other PC activated?

Brink, Jun 5, 2016
  13. Find Product Key in Windows 10

Yes. it is activated. i just checked.
    I upgraded this PC from 8.1 to 10 a week ago. I should have used showKeyPlus before upgrading this PC

superfatball, Jun 5, 2016
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I notified the developer of ShowKeyPlus to see if he may have any ideas what could be causing this.

Brink, Jun 5, 2016
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jun 5, 2016
Thema:

Find Product Key in Windows 10

1. Find Product Key in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Find Product Key

2. Find windows product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Find windows product key: First, open Notepad by right-clicking anywhere on the desktop, hovering over “New,” and then selecting “Text Document” from the menu.Copy and paste this code into Notepad:Set WshShell = CreateObject"WScript.Shell"MsgBox...
  3. Find windows product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Find windows product key: First, open Notepad by right-clicking anywhere on the desktop, hovering over “New,” and then selecting “Text Document” from the menu.Copy and paste this code into Notepad:Set WshShell = CreateObject"WScript.Shell"MsgBox...
  4. Find Product Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Find Product Key: Hello,I have hard drive that has windows 10 installed and is failing to boot. Where can I find the product key on this drive using another computer to search in the Hdd.thanks...
  5. finding product key

finding product key: To whom it may concern,i have been dealing with this problem of my laptop constantly asking me to activate my windowsbut i havnt been able to find my product key i have been told to try windows key+X and then click on command promt and write this "wmic path...
  6. Finding product key

in Windows 10 Customization
    Finding product key: how can I get my product key to activate windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/finding-product-key/bcc8aefa-87af-401d-8c50-3fd4dfe61b6d
  7. Find Windows 10 product key

Find Windows 10 product key: Recently I have changed my HDD and replaced it with SSD. Because my old Windows 10 had slowed down I decided to freshly install Windows 10 on new SSD instead of upgrading it. So I searched Microsoft resources and found "Media creation tools" to make a USB installation media...
  8. Find Windows Product Key

Find Windows Product Key: I have two machines with two different editions of windows 10. The old one has Windows 10 Pro, and the new one has Windows 10 Home Single Language. I have lost the Windows 10 Pro key and Windows 10 Home Single Language came pre-installed on the machine, so I don't have key...
  9. finding product key

finding product key: I have a older Surface tablet that I bought used and it was upgraded to windows 10. I don't have the key and it wants me to activate the windows. How do I find the product key or digital license for the windows 10 on this thing?...
  10. Finding Product key

Finding Product key: How can i find my windows product key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/finding-product-key/8bc5f5cf-9a5f-48c4-9665-28fcb9b985ff"