Windows 10: Find Product Key in Windows 10

Discus and support Find Product Key in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Yes I ran that vbs... and it says not in bios... that is what is confusing me all up! Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Friction, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Find Product Key in Windows 10

Yes I ran that vbs... and it says not in bios... that is what is confusing me all up!

TeleFragger, Jul 31, 2016
  2. NavyLCDR New Member

Then there may not be a product key stored in bios. I recently purchased a factory refurbished Asus laptop with Windows 10 installed from the factory and no product key stored in UEFI because it was refurbished with a motherboard replacement.

NavyLCDR, Jul 31, 2016
  3. TeleFragger, Jul 31, 2016
  4. tfwul Win User

Find Product Key in Windows 10

AFAIK Showkeyplus, Produkey, they all show the generic key in VM, starting with VK7JG.
    Regretfully not the original key. I have various legitimate Windows licenses and two pc's, but lost track which product key has been used where.
    Obviously uninstall the key (slmgr.vbs -upk) and re-install Windows may be the solution, but it would have been nice if a tool could produce the original key when Windows is installed on a VM.
    Ah well ...

BTW does showkeyplus connect with Internet?

Emsisoft reporting . . .
    =

=
    Find Product Key in Windows 10 [​IMG]

tfwul, Aug 19, 2016
  5. Superfly Win User
    The original key is only available after an upgrade install - on clean installs it get removed with everything else and thus can no longer be retrieved - except from a backup of the previous Windows installation.

It does not matter whether a physical or virtual machine the functionality is the same. - I do most my development testing in VM's and they always provide the same functionality.

ShowKey accesses the releases page on GitHub to check for newer releases... thus the false positive by Emsisoft.

Superfly, Aug 21, 2016
  6. manav1984 Win User
    Hi,
    Just have a query, I have a computer running Windows 10 Pro, which i had upgraded to from Windows 7 during the free upgrade time, and my version of Windows is activated and linked to my Microsoft Account email id. Now I am going to be upgrading my PC (Motherboard, RAM, CPU, HDD) and I already downloaded a Windows 10 ISO from the Microsoft website and created a Windows 10 Install CD. Will I be able to do a fresh install using the old cd key ?
    I have attached an image of what my key looks like.
    Find Product Key in Windows 10 [​IMG]

manav1984, Apr 21, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello @manav1984, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Since your digital license for the PC is linked to your Microsoft account, you could skip entering the product key during a clean install, and setup Windows with the same Microsoft account during installation on the same PC to have Windows automatically activated on the PC.

If for some reason it doesn't activate, you can use the Activation troubleshooter to get it activated.

Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Brink, Apr 21, 2017
  8. manav1984 Win User

As i mentioned, I am upgrading my PC so my hardware will change-including motherboard.

manav1984, Apr 26, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 26, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    You will have to install Windows 10 on the "new" computer, skip entering the product key. Sign in with your Microsoft Account login. Windows 10 will not be activated. Then you use the Activation Troubleshooter that @Brink linked to to move the digital license for Windows 10 from the "old" computer to the "new" computer.

NavyLCDR, Apr 26, 2017
  11. manav1984 Win User
    Well I upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7. As far as I can remember it was OEM, but that doesnt matter anyways cause all versions upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 are automatically OEM windows 10 right ?......atleast that is what i hear people saying.

manav1984, Apr 26, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    They would be incorrect. There was initially some confusion about how a person could transfer the Windows 10 digital license, but assuming that Windows 10 "became OEM" was erroneous. Microsoft then responded to that and provided the method to transfer a digital license by linking it to a Microsoft Account and being able to transfer it that way. Previous to that (and still presently) you were still always able to transfer a Windows 10 license by just installing Windows 10 and entering a retail Windows 7/8/8.1/10 product key to activate it - until the Windows 7/8/8.1 retail product key was used too much and it got blocked from automatic online activation. If your Windows 7/8/8.1 retail product was blocked from automatic online activation due to using it too many times, then you would have to actually install Windows 7, 8 or 8.1, activate that with it's product key using phone activation, then upgrade that to Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, Apr 26, 2017
  13. indisch Win User

Keys are showing in my HP laptop's Windows 10 Home Single Language x64 upgraded to latest Creators Update. *chuckle

indisch, Aug 29, 2017
  14. Superfly Win User
    Wow.. those screenshots of ShowKeyPlus in the OP brings back memories.. LOL - nice to see *Biggrin

I think in those days it was a 50KB download or something, now it's ... uhmmm, well not...

...but hey, bigger is always better, right?

Superfly, Aug 29, 2017
  15. cereberus Win User
    Nice things come in small packages ;-).

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Find Product Key in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Find Product Key

2. Find windows product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Find windows product key: First, open Notepad by right-clicking anywhere on the desktop, hovering over “New,” and then selecting “Text Document” from the menu.Copy and paste this code into Notepad:Set WshShell = CreateObject"WScript.Shell"MsgBox...
  3. Find windows product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Find windows product key: First, open Notepad by right-clicking anywhere on the desktop, hovering over “New,” and then selecting “Text Document” from the menu.Copy and paste this code into Notepad:Set WshShell = CreateObject"WScript.Shell"MsgBox...
  4. Find Product Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Find Product Key: Hello,I have hard drive that has windows 10 installed and is failing to boot. Where can I find the product key on this drive using another computer to search in the Hdd.thanks...
  5. finding product key

finding product key: To whom it may concern,i have been dealing with this problem of my laptop constantly asking me to activate my windowsbut i havnt been able to find my product key i have been told to try windows key+X and then click on command promt and write this "wmic path...
  6. Finding product key

in Windows 10 Customization
    Finding product key: how can I get my product key to activate windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/finding-product-key/bcc8aefa-87af-401d-8c50-3fd4dfe61b6d
  7. Find Windows 10 product key

Find Windows 10 product key: Recently I have changed my HDD and replaced it with SSD. Because my old Windows 10 had slowed down I decided to freshly install Windows 10 on new SSD instead of upgrading it. So I searched Microsoft resources and found "Media creation tools" to make a USB installation media...
  8. Find Windows Product Key

Find Windows Product Key: I have two machines with two different editions of windows 10. The old one has Windows 10 Pro, and the new one has Windows 10 Home Single Language. I have lost the Windows 10 Pro key and Windows 10 Home Single Language came pre-installed on the machine, so I don't have key...
  9. finding product key

finding product key: I have a older Surface tablet that I bought used and it was upgraded to windows 10. I don't have the key and it wants me to activate the windows. How do I find the product key or digital license for the windows 10 on this thing?...
  10. Finding Product key

Finding Product key: How can i find my windows product key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/finding-product-key/8bc5f5cf-9a5f-48c4-9665-28fcb9b985ff"