Windows 10: Firewall blocking most internet connectivity, except MS Edge

Discus and support Firewall blocking most internet connectivity, except MS Edge in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I installed the most recent Win 10 update, and now have the most odd issue that I can't figure out. Windows Defender firewall seems to block everything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by drdansinger, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Firewall blocking most internet connectivity, except MS Edge

I installed the most recent Win 10 update, and now have the most odd issue that I can't figure out. Windows Defender firewall seems to block everything except Windows Edge, from within my private home network

When the firewall is on:
    • Firefox and Chrome do not work at all. Neither do internal internet functions like Windows update. For some reason, MS Edge connects to the web just fine
    • From CMD, I'm able to ping 127.0.0.1 and my router (192.168.1.1), but I can't ping out (for example, 8.8.8.8). The response is just "general failure" with 100% loss.
    When I switch the firewall off, everything is fine and connects without hesitation

I am only running Windows firewall, no other antivirus or firewall software. I'm connected only to the wifi router, though IPconfig shows that the Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface is also running.

Looking at the configuration through Netsh, the only oddity I can see is that the Teredo service is configured as such:

set state type=client servername=win1710.ipv6.microsoft.com. servervirtualip=0.0.0.0

The only things I've done of late were the windows updates and running a new VPN client (SmartDNSProxy). I've tried to disable Teredo, and I've turned off and rebooted without the VPN running, but it doesn't seem to fix the issue. Somewhere a setting changed somewhere, and I'm going insane trying to get back to full functionality. All thanks for any sage advice.

:)

drdansinger, Feb 9, 2018

2. Internet Problem

I have the same issue. It doesn't seem to relate to network driver or internet setting, because Edge can get to everything.

It seems to be firewall has blocked everything except the apps go with Win10. I checked the firewall setting but got no clue. It's got to be something with Win10 base settings.

Can't do anything except waiting for MS to solve it.

James_bond_73, Feb 9, 2018
  3. SamShippy Win User
    How to fix random blocking of websites in Windows 10

I've recently upgraded to Windows 10 and have found that some normal/safe (ie. govenerment ) websites are randomly being blocked.

I had Norton antivirus which I blamed it on and uninstalled but the problem is still persisting.

I have no other antivirus, only windows firewall.

Even when I turn off windows firewall it still comes up that my internet access is blocked and that my firewall or antivirus may have blocked it. It happens in both Chrome and Edge. I do not believe it's related to my internet connection/service provider
    as the sites will open fine on my phone (connected to home internet).

SamShippy, Feb 9, 2018
  4. Firewall blocking most internet connectivity, except MS Edge

Caledon Ken, Feb 9, 2018
  5. Thanks so much. That fixed it. (I'm typing in Firefox). I exported the firewall policy before resetting it since I'm guessing I'll need to restore some settings to get all my apps working.

Thanks for your help

drdansinger, Feb 9, 2018
  6. Good idea. I think most should work and you will want to watch that your VPN software didn't already alter them.

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Firewall blocking most internet connectivity, except MS Edge

1. Firewall blocking most internet connectivity, except MS Edge - Similar Threads - Firewall blocking internet

2. Internet Access is Blocked, except for MS Teams Work Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet Access is Blocked, except for MS Teams Work Account: Hi,I'm on Windows 10 Pro, with my personal desktop computer that I enrolled to my work organization and "allowed my organization to manage my computer".This problem device now has almost zero internet. Using MS Edge or Chrome, I'm getting:Hmmm... your Internet access is...
  3. Internet Access is Blocked, except for MS Teams Work Account

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet Access is Blocked, except for MS Teams Work Account: Hi,I'm on Windows 10 Pro, with my personal desktop computer that I enrolled to my work organization and "allowed my organization to manage my computer".This problem device now has almost zero internet. Using MS Edge or Chrome, I'm getting:Hmmm... your Internet access is...
  4. firewall blocking internet to Microsoft edge help fix

firewall blocking internet to Microsoft edge help fix: unblock internet to Microsoft edge https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firewall-blocking-internet-to-microsoft-edge-help/f33b92a5-5978-4770-8121-622ffea5a4b2
  5. Windows Firewall blocking MS Edge

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Firewall blocking MS Edge: I asked this question on the Edge forum too, but I have additional questions about this blocking thing A. Uh, why do keep getting a message that Windows Firewall is blocking "some aspects" of Microsoft Edge. I am using beta now, but it did it with the plain old "new Edge"...
  6. firewall is blocking internet

firewall is blocking internet: how do ifix firewall blocking internet https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firewall-is-blocking-internet/b1ac89ea-96dd-4476-b7d3-292a5793a415
  7. Nothing can connect to the internet except Edge

Nothing can connect to the internet except Edge: So I got a new computer and whenever I try to access anything that isn't Edge it won't work. This includes Steam and Google Chrome. It is Really annoying as I can not use anything except Edge. I tried using netsh commands (as a administrator) but to no avail. Did anyone have...
  8. Firewall Blocking Internet

Firewall Blocking Internet: I am running Windows 10 Version 1809 Build 17763.292... After updating to this version my internet connection is blocked. What needs to be allowed through through the firewall for my internet to run? It is only having issues when the firewall for private networks is on....
  9. MS Edge does not connect to the internet.

MS Edge does not connect to the internet.: MS Edge does not connect to the internet whilst MS Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox does. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-edge-does-not-connect-to-the-internet/df481d11-8584-4b7c-813c-c619cd37a497
  10. MS Edge does not connect to the internet.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    MS Edge does not connect to the internet.: MS Edge does not connect to the internet whilst MS Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox does. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/ms-edge-does-not-connect-to-the-internet/b6ecb954-037f-405b-87f1-ed5ec6c0f28e