Windows 10: Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen

Discus and support Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Okay if you have just upgraded to windows 10 and are sitting at a black screen for way too long here's the problem and how to fix it. If you have an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Darkmiss, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen

Nothing is working for me I have a black screen on my laptop but I'm been trying to fix it for weeks and nothing has worked

CulturedCrane7, Sep 22, 2015

2. Hey guys, I don't know if this will fix your issue but it fixed mine. Check your BIOS, and update it! My issue was not a driver issue but actually a BIOS issue all along. I spent ages trying to replace the drivers when that was not the problem. As it turns out, my BIOS version was dated at 2011, checking the intel website for a BIOS update for my laptop and installing it solved this issue. Check your BIOS. I hope this helps. Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen :p

DingdongJR, Sep 24, 2015
  3. tmwhalen Win User
    Morning Everyone. I found a fix on another website. You need to go into the settings for the brightness of your laptop screen. For whatever reason, windows 10 has reversed the settings. If you turn the screen settings to 0 on both battery and power, there is no longer a problem. Probably a glitch in the windows 10 environment and the video cards and drivers. Hopefully, Microsoft will be able to work out this bug.

Adjust Screen Brightness in Windows 10 Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

tmwhalen, Sep 26, 2015
  4. termaric Win User

Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen

I have a dell inspiron n4050 which I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 a week ago. It worked properly a couple of days and suddenly when it started showing blue screen with bad_system_config_info. I restarted my laptop but it didn't work and I tried restore point recovery, that too didn't work. Now it has got worsen, showing black screen on start up and nothing else. I have run BIOS and says everything is just fine. I can't get safe mode. Please anyone who knows how to solve the issue, i need your help.
    Regards

termaric, Sep 28, 2015
  5. Ander Win User
    None of this worked for me. I couldn't even boot to Safe Mode; I got the same black screen.

I was finally able to log onto Windows 10 by booting to a command line, creating a new account, and using that. So I suspect that something in my previous account—e.g. the graphics options I'd chosen, or some of the startup tasks I'd added—are conflicting with Win 10 and preventing the account from running.

I'm now trying to figure out how to use the new account to change my previous account's settings, in case that'll fix it. It would be a lot easier than starting over.

Meanwhile, I thought I'd contribute this solution in case anyone else found it helpful. I've included step-by-step details of what I've described in the forum topic I've started here: "Black screen after logon fixed, sort of, but..."

Ander, Sep 29, 2015
  6. Hey all, I just installed some Windows 10 Updates today on my MSI Laptop that came out today 10/02/2015.....
    When I went to reboot my computer to allow the Updates to install I got stuck a the "Black Screen of Death" LOL *Sad

I tried everything mechanical, reseat the battery, press various buttons, put in the Windows 10 disk.
    Tried to see if any internals were lose, I couldn't even boot to the BIOS.
    I hooked my mouse up to my other laptop and old one, and started trying to research, I then simply tried to restart again, waiting a bit, the computer started to start up finish installing the updates.

So, thought it was working for some reason, hooked the mouse up, situated the computer, and it wouldn't boot up again.
    I'm like WTH......! It then pops in my head, "mouse". So I unplug the mouse and guess what, the computer starts up.

Turns out the Windows Update today screwed something up so my mouse would stop it from booting.
    Don't know if it's a port or mouse related thing, or ports period, like any port with something in it would cause it to not start.
    So, don't know how I'm going to fix this, cause I'm not going to unplug my mouse when I want to start my computer and then plug it back in when starting up. We shall see what I do.... Maybe I have to find the drivers for the USB ports and update it. Not sure, anyway.

This is why I like to do Fresh Installs, have backup Disks, and control my own fn updates.
    Microsoft, anyone not it's like they progress in some ways but digress in others.

leeuniverse, Oct 2, 2015
  7. Cow2ez Win User
    Same thing happened to me you have to disable your video card in safe mode to get it back on......anytime you update the driver it happens all over again ....I don't think there is a solution just workarounds until they find a patch I guess ...I'm personally about to go back to win 7 where things work

Cow2ez, Oct 2, 2015
  8. Born2run Win User

Thanks Darkmiss, I followed your instructions for logging in blind and then pulled up the Project window using WindowsKey-P. It was a relief to at least get that far. I've tried all 4 options available and still cannot get the screen to come on. What should I try next? By the way, the malfunctioning computer is HP Pavillions.

Born2run, Oct 2, 2015
  9. xanscorp Win User
    Obviously not seeing as how several stated attempting with no luck. This is Microsoft we're talking about. There is no one size fits all to fix their cornucopia of screw-ups.

xanscorp, Oct 5, 2015
  10. If this helps anyone then great,

Had issues with black screens on windows 8.1 & Windows 10. It was caused by 2 graphics cards being installed at the same time, turning one off in device manager did not work as windows 10 turns it back on after boot.

The 1903 version of bios allows both the Intel on chip graphics card & the Primary graphics card to be seen in device manager at the same time. I think this was to allow the LucidLogix Virtu MVP to work which is kind of like a cheap SLI setup.

Flashing the bios back to 1803 removes the Intel graphics card from device manager & so fixes the problem.
    Now only my primary card is seen.

Primary card is Asus ROG R9 208X

rogerrocket, Oct 6, 2015
  11. I am still getting the black screen after boot. The only way I have reliably found to stop Win10 going black is to disable the Windows Fast Startup feature.

squawksarah, Oct 7, 2015
  12. That doesn't work for me..... My only solution is to unplug my Mouse before starting the computer, then plugging it back in once it at least get's to the login screen. This is really irritating, and why I always do Fresh Installs of an OS and like to control my Windows updates. I really don't understand why Microsoft progresses in some things, but digresses in others.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to reactivate my Office 2013 if I do a fresh install, I'm wanting to use my original OS key and OS, used another because I wasn't able to create a backup disk because it kept erroring out. So, don't know if my office will activate if I put it into another OS that I didn't originally activate it on. Still same computer, but for Windows 8 they combined Windows and Office activation, so ugh.... *Sad

leeuniverse, Oct 8, 2015
  13. AKaupys Win User

My pc is dell inspiron n5110. Was with os7, tried to upgrade to os10. And after everything i see only black screen without any mouse cursor or so. Please help me out.. *Sad

AKaupys, Oct 11, 2015
  14. I've seen this before. The way i solved it was to attacht an external monitor. You should have video then. Goto the dell support website and download and install the latest BIOS for this laptop. When you reboot after that you should have video on your laptop. There might be an issue with the laptop crashing because of the bluetooth stack installed in windows 7 before the upgrade. Only way i was able to fix that was to do a refresh install. This will remove all apps but will keep your data (docs,pics etc. )

good luck.

EdwinKlemann, Oct 15, 2015
  15. RCS
    RCS Win User
    Updated to Windows 10, Black Screen with cursor. Task Manager launches. Control Panel Launches, So I have full control of the PC, but no windows desktop visible. I've tried everything in this forum, but no success. A reinstall if Windows 10 hangs at "making sure you're ready to install". I've tried to roll back to 7, but I can't get the "settings" screen to display. It seems to launch just fine. Display controller is the standard Intel, on board supporting two displays. I've got a monitor plugged into both. Intel driver 10.18.10.4252, 7/10/15, but I've tried the later driver as well. Tried safe mode, safe mode with Networking, with and without ethernet connected. I updated a similar PC without issue. I'm sure I'm one click away!

Thema:

1. Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen - Similar Threads - Fix booting black

2. Trying to fix windows 10 (boots to a black screen, no login)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to fix windows 10 (boots to a black screen, no login): A friends wants me to fix their laptop, it boots to a black screen, and a moveable mouse cursor with a "loading" circle next to it, (login screen never loads) if I boot in safe mode I get a "the system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer" and also doesn't load the...
  3. Windows 10 Boots to Black Screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Boots to Black Screen: Hello, I installed my nvidia graphics for the nvidia nvs 3100M in my laptop, and ever since then, the computer would often boot up to the Windows logo, and show the loading circle, then it would dim and the screen would shut off. Yes, I downloaded the drivers from Nvidia's...
  4. Black screen on boot Windows 10

Black screen on boot Windows 10: Hi, I have been using a relatively old Samsung laptop as a PBX server with windows 10 without any problems for a few months now. Recently I found the machine stuck on a black screen, not responding to any inputs. I forced shutdown using the power button and tried to restart...
  5. Windows 10 black screen boot.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 black screen boot.: Hello all, I've been having some trouble with my Windows 10 desktop. It's upgraded from Windows 7 if this helps, though sadly due to my issue as described I can't get any information on the installation for you. How it works is as follows. 1.) I hold the power button. 2.)The...
  6. Windows 10 Boots to a black screen

Windows 10 Boots to a black screen: My current PC has given me tons of problems lately, all thanks to an update I plan to undo. Now it seems whenever I boot up my PC it's just a plain black screen. I can't log in, I can't do ctrl+alt+delete, I can't do anything besides stare at the black screen. I need some...
  7. Windows 10 black screen on boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 black screen on boot: Keeping things short, my pc froze hard and required a hard shutdown. It will not boot to the login screen and when booting from windows usb i have the screen simply fades to black and stays as such i have tried multiple hard resets to no avail and launching in safe mode has...
  8. Windows 10 boots to black screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 boots to black screen: Hi, I recently applied updates to my Windows 10 environment. The next time I booted, it would briefly show the Windows logo and then go to black screen. I could still login to safe mode no problems. After a week of trying different things and online advice, I stripped all...
  9. Booting to black screen - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Booting to black screen - Windows 10: Restarted to finish installing Windows 10 updates, booted into a black screen. Boots into a black screen now every time I try to boot into normal mode. Ran Windows 10 fine since it was released. Never had this problem before in five years of using this laptop. It boots into...
  10. Windows 10 boots to black screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 boots to black screen: Every time I power on my computer I get a black screen with a cursor. - I tried logging in blind, thinking the computer thought there was a second display, but it didn't work - I booted into a Windows 10 installation USB drive and selected "Repair Your Computer" I tried...