Windows 10: Flash drive not being detected.

Discus and support Flash drive not being detected. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Having some trouble with a 16GB flash drive not being detected, it has data on it. It shows as used space 0 Bytes, free space 0 Bytes in My Computer.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Kol12, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Kol12 Win User

Flash drive not being detected.

Having some trouble with a 16GB flash drive not being detected, it has data on it. It shows as used space 0 Bytes, free space 0 Bytes in My Computer.

Has what I think happened or can be hopeful for something else?

Flash drive not being detected. [​IMG]

:)

Kol12, Jul 23, 2017

2. system reset

Also I can't download the windows 10 installation media to my USB flash drive it can't detect that its there. The windows 10 installation media says that no usb flash drive is detected. IT seems to be detecting my flash drive as another hard drive instead
    of a flash drive,

thanks,

thedarknight_433, Jul 23, 2017
  3. Windows 10 media creation tool can't find USB

Yes. I did.

The Media Creation tool didn't detect the USB drive. But Rufus did. (both running on the same machine). I downloaded ISO, used Rufus to create bootable USB. Moved the flash drive to a different machine and completed a clean Win 10 Pro install

p.s. This SAME USB drive was used before and detected before by an earlier version of the Media Creation Tool on the same machine where it now wasn't being detected by the Tool (yet Rufus was detecting it). Which is why I also suspect it's a bug
    in the Tool

/* EDIT */

I also verified the USB boot drive was detected and bootable from the same machine it was created by Rufus (but not detected by Media Creation Tool)

So, again, I believe this is a tool bug. HOWEVER, i also believe problems with SanDisk (or any other flash drive that's listed as "WinToGo" compatible) is a
    different issue. WinToGo compatible flash drives appear to Windows as Hard Drives so they won't be recognized by Creation Tool as removable USB

LookinAround, Jul 23, 2017
  4. Kol12 Win User

Note: I was having an issue with this thumb drive in saving Bios profiles in which the Bios would say "USB flash drive with NTFS or exFAT format is not supported" then just the other day the profiles saved normally again to the drive.

Kol12, Jul 23, 2017
  5. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Sound like a bad USB stick.

Did you ever format this drive as NTFS or exFAT?

You should try and recover the files if you need them before starting potential fixes and testing.
    You might try a Disk Check using Tools on the Properties window.
    You might try rebuilding the MBR (File Table) using Minitool Partition Wizard, or Easeus, or equivalent disk management program.
    But if neither fix solves it then it is usually best to just toss the stick.

6. Kol12 Win User
    I think it came pre-formatted like most do these days...

I've tried Piriform Recuva and EaseUS data recovery but they cannot detect the drive so I can't even attempt a recovery.

Right clicking the drive in File Explorer and clicking Format results in error: There is no disk in drive F:

It's a Silicon Power and I came across some related repair tools but most had a high virus detection rate on Virustotal.com so I decided against running them...

Kol12, Jul 24, 2017
  7. LMiller7 Win User
    Flash drives are among the least reliable of modern storage media. Add to that the possibility that they may be lost, stolen, or physically damaged. They should not be used as primary storage of important files.

All files, regardless of the media they are stored on, should have at least 1 backup copy, 2 or more backup copies if the files are of particular importance. Recovery methods cannot be relied on.

LMiller7, Jul 24, 2017
  8. Kol12 Win User

Yeah I hear ya. This had my Macrium Reflect recovery console on it (needed to restore system image's...) some Bios profiles and some other bit's and bobs but I can't remember what they were. Maybe I should have Macrium Reflect recovery console on cd too.

Yes I thought I had this stick backed up but now can't find it! From now on I will take backups with every new change made to the drive...

The stick feels looser than normal so maybe some inside has broken causing this?

Kol12, Jul 24, 2017
  9. Kol12 Win User
    Could bootrec /fixboot and bootrec /fixmbr have the potential fix anything?

Kol12, Jul 24, 2017
  10. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    You can't attempt any repair until the drive can be recognized in the OS.
    See if it works in another port, or try jiggling it. Sometimes you might have to apply constant slight pressure in one direction.
    And yes, if one of the metal contacts inside the port of the stick is loose or broken then that would be game over.

11. jumanji Win User
    Your 16GB Flash drive has a drive letter but File System reported as Unknown.

Please post a full screenshot of Windows Disk Management ( with only the Flash drive plugged in) with all info clearly visible. Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of

Also try the flash drive on another working PC, check and report.

jumanji, Jul 24, 2017
  12. Kol12 Win User
    Kol12, Jul 25, 2017
  13. jumanji Win User

Removing other external drives will reduce clutter, facilitate increased focus on the problem device and make life easy for the one helping you *Smile.

1. Please upload your screenshots to Ten forum servers. No redirection to third party websites. How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files at Ten Forums

2. Now plug your flash drive to another working PC and post a screenshot of Windows Disk Management. This will help isolate the problem - whether it is your PC or your Flash drive.

jumanji, Jul 25, 2017
  14. Kol12 Win User
    Is the last Disk Management screenshot not suitable? I've uploaded the same image to Ten Forums this time...

I tried plugging the drive into another machine (laptop) yesterday and it appears exactly the same in Disk Management as it does on my machine (as per screenshot) Only exception being that I had the option to change the drive letter on laptop but not on my machine...

Flash drive not being detected. [​IMG]

Kol12, Jul 25, 2017
  15. jumanji Win User
    I am afraid you now have no option except try SP USB Flash Drive Recovery Software SP USB Flash Drive Recovery Software

Note: Even if it succeeds in bringing your Flash drive alive, as with all such manufacturer's repair software, you will lose all data in it. ( Silicon Power does not explicitly say so unlike other manufacturers, but I believe the same applies here.)

Do it on your laptop which seems to be a shade better ( you were able to change the drive letter) than your desktop. ( In some cases changing the drive letter brought back the "no media" drives to life. I would have advised it next had you not done it already *Smile)

Always my advice: When you want to do any critical operation on an external storage device, plug out all other external storage devices. Otherwise, accidents can happen - disaster.

jumanji, Jul 25, 2017
Thema:

1. Flash drive not being detected. - Similar Threads - Flash drive being

2. USB flash drive not detected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB flash drive not detected: A USB flash drive is no longer detected on one of my Windows 10 systems even though it worked for many years without issue. However it does work on another system also with Windows 10 on it. I have tried all of the possible solutions mentioned here, but neither solved the...
  3. USB flash drive not detected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB flash drive not detected: A USB flash drive is no longer detected on one of my Windows 10 systems even though it worked for many years without issue. However it does work on another system also with Windows 10 on it. I have tried all of the possible solutions mentioned here, but neither solved the...
  4. USB flash drive not detected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. 8GB Flash drive detected as a RAW Flash Drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    8GB Flash drive detected as a RAW Flash Drive.: Hello, so I need help, and it's very hard, so if there's a master at this, try to help me. Anyway, I need help, and somehow when I plug in my red flash drive, which is an 8 gig one, it shows up and it says that directory B: is not found. I tried to check it out in disc...
  6. 8GB Flash drive detected as a RAW Flash Drive.

8GB Flash drive detected as a RAW Flash Drive.: Hello, so I need help, and it's very hard, so if there's a master at this, try to help me. Anyway, I need help, and somehow when I plug in my red flash drive, which is an 8 gig one, it shows up and it says that directory B: is not found. I tried to check it out in disc...
  7. Flash drive/usb not detected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Flash drive/usb not detected: Hello guys i have a 16gb flash drive. The problem is it's hardly detected everytime i plugged it in pc. Sometimes after i plugged it in, the drive letter was shown up in my computer but when i clicked it the inside is empty and it become not responding until i plugged it out....
  8. Flash drive/usb not detected

Flash drive/usb not detected: Hello guys i have a 16gb flash drive. The problem is it's hardly detected everytime i plugged it in pc. Sometimes after i plugged it in, the drive letter was shown up in my computer but when i clicked it the inside is empty and it become not responding until i plugged it out....
  9. Usb 3.0 Flash Drive isn't being detected.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Usb 3.0 Flash Drive isn't being detected.: The drive i use to install windows with will not be detected in any of my usb ports or on my wifes pc or my sons pc. Bios don't even see it. Any program i can use to at least get the files off it and then pitch it in the garbage. I ordered a new one a sandisk solid state...
  10. Recovery Drive not being detected

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovery Drive not being detected: I'm having to reinstall windows on my PC, but I've been having endless issues with the recovery USB. At first, it worked fine, but the drive I wanted to install to was GPT. So, I turned the computer off, removed the drive, and reformatted it on another computer to MBT. When I...