Windows 10: Free Up Space from Locally Available OneDrive Files in Windows 10

Discus and support Free Up Space from Locally Available OneDrive Files in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How I understand it you have 3 status. [img] These are (from the top) 1. Online (a file which has not been downloaded). This is a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by lx07, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Free Up Space from Locally Available OneDrive Files in Windows 10

Those 3 works great for me. No issues at all.

slicendice, Aug 2, 2017
  2. hgscott Win User

I have recently updated to Win 10 v 1703, mainly to get this feature to free up space. The option is available but when I select Free up Space it does not do anything, files and folders remain as local copies. Any suggestions?

hgscott, Sep 12, 2017
  3. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello hgscott, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

How large is the file size? It may take a bit if it's real large.

Brink, Sep 12, 2017
  4. hgscott Win User

Free Up Space from Locally Available OneDrive Files in Windows 10

Have only tried to get it to work with test files and folders. Around 9Mb total size.

hgscott, Sep 12, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Sep 12, 2017
  6. hgscott Win User
    Here are 2 screenshots context menus, one at folder lever, and one at individual file level. Notice three different status columns have been selected but none of them show OneDrive file status as per your screenshots in article. Trust images are clear enough.

Free Up Space from Locally Available OneDrive Files in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Free Up Space from Locally Available OneDrive Files in Windows 10 [​IMG]

hgscott, Sep 12, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yep, your screenshots still show the green check mark for the files.

You might see if toggling the folder view to large icons and back to details may sort the column issue. You should only have one "Status" column.

Does clicking on "Free up space" on the files themselves instead of the parent folder do anything?

Brink, Sep 12, 2017
  8. hgscott Win User

Have tried opening two ways, fromOneDrive icon in the notification area, and also through Windows Explorer. FYI I am signed into OneDrive for Business using a Work account.

If I try and open from apps in start menu then it just asks me what library I want to sync when I am already logged into the app.

hgscott, Sep 12, 2017
  9. hgscott Win User
    Have toggled view to a few different options and back to Details. Have also tried clicking Free up Space on individual files. Nothing works though to change their status.

hgscott, Sep 12, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Sep 12, 2017
  11. hgscott Win User
    Had tried that before but did it again. No luck. However when I turn files on demand off, OneDrive shuts down totally. Had to restart to get it back up again.

hgscott, Sep 12, 2017
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Sep 12, 2017
  13. hgscott Win User

OK, thanks. I'm still on 16281 so will wait for update and see if that fixes it.

hgscott, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Free Up Space from Locally Available OneDrive Files in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Free Space Locally

2. free up space in onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    free up space in onedrive: OneDrive is using up most of the storage on my HDD and I'd like to change that. I've already done "free up space" in the OneDrive app and that didn't do anything. I uninstalled the OneDrive app, but it still left the OneDrive folder on the pc and I no longer had the OneDrive...
  3. free up space in onedrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    free up space in onedrive: OneDrive is using up most of the storage on my HDD and I'd like to change that. I've already done "free up space" in the OneDrive app and that didn't do anything. I uninstalled the OneDrive app, but it still left the OneDrive folder on the pc and I no longer had the OneDrive...
  4. How to undo deleted "Free up Space" local OneDrive Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to undo deleted "Free up Space" local OneDrive Folder: I mistakenly deleted onedrive folder on my local computer by choosing "Free up Space" from folder properties. The folder is no longer present on local computer. I do have a 2nd computer that still shows the the original folder local, and in onedrive cloud. Both computers show...
  5. How to undo deleted "Free up Space" local OneDrive Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to undo deleted "Free up Space" local OneDrive Folder: I mistakenly deleted onedrive folder on my local computer by choosing "Free up Space" from folder properties. The folder is no longer present on local computer. I do have a 2nd computer that still shows the the original folder local, and in onedrive cloud. Both computers show...
  6. How to undo deleted "Free up Space" local OneDrive Folder

7. Onedrive won't free up space

Onedrive won't free up space: I have been using Windows 11 on a Surface Pro 7 for several months. As the C drive is only 120gb I have set 'Save space and download files as you use them' on Onedrive thus keeping 40gb or so free. However recently OneDrive is constantly being synced to the device using all...
  8. Onedrive won't free up space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive won't free up space: I have been using Windows 11 on a Surface Pro 7 for several months. As the C drive is only 120gb I have set 'Save space and download files as you use them' on Onedrive thus keeping 40gb or so free. However recently OneDrive is constantly being synced to the device using all...
  9. Onedrive and Free up space

Onedrive and Free up space: Hello,Using Onedrive to back up folders on my W10 desktop.In order not to double up storage usage on my desktop, I am right clicking on the Onedrive folders and selecting Free up space which then grays out that option.But the next day when I go back to those folders, the Free...
  10. Onedrive Free up space

Onedrive Free up space: Hi I wanted to Free up laptop space so I selected my Photos folder onedrive and hit free up. PC grinds away and hey presto blue cloud next to all my photo folders, Job done. However....About an hour later I get a notification saying I had deleted a large number of files...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. free-up-space-locally-available-onedrive-files-windows-10