Windows 10: Turn On or Off OneDrive Files On-Demand in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off OneDrive Files On-Demand in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off OneDrive Files On-Demand in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off OneDrive Files On-Demand in Windows 10 At Build 2017, Joe... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by swarfega, Jun 21, 2017.

1. swarfega Win User

Turn On or Off OneDrive Files On-Demand in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off OneDrive Files On-Demand in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off OneDrive Files On-Demand in Windows 10

At Build 2017, Joe Belfiore announced that the new OneDrive Files On-Demand feature will be delivered with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.

OneDrive Files On-Demand is available starting with Windows 10 build 16215 and OneDrive app build 17.3.7064.1005 or later.

OneDrive Files On-Demand helps you access all your files in OneDrive without having to download all of them and use storage space on your device.

When you turn on Files On-Demand, youll see all your files in File Explorer and get new information about each file. New files created online or on another device appear as online-only files, which dont take up space on your device. When youre connected to the Internet, youll be able to use the files like every other file on your device.

Youll know that Files On-Demand is turned on if you see the status icons next to your files in File Explorer:

Turn On or Off OneDrive Files On-Demand in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Online-only files dont take up space on your computer. You see a cloud icon for each online-only file in File Explorer, but the file doesnt download to your device until you open it. You cant open online-only files when your device isnt connected to the Internet.

When you open an online-only file, it downloads to your device and becomes a locally available file. You can open a locally available file anytime, even without Internet access. If you need more space, you can change the file back to online. Just right-click the file and select Free up space.

Only files that you mark as Always keep on this device have the green circle with the white check mark. These files download to your device and take up space, but theyre always there for you even when youre offline.

Starting with Windows 10 build 16226, Microsoft wanted to make sure that you are in control of all file downloads from the cloud. When you use OneDrive Files On-Demand (or another cloud provider), and an app (like a photo editor) tries to download files that you have stored only in the cloud, itll show a message displaying: whats being downloaded, which app is requesting the download, and options to dismiss the message, cancel the download, or block the app from downloading. (Microsoft also added a way to unblock apps in Settings > Privacy > App-requested downloads, in case you change your mind.)

Starting with Windows 10 build 17093, Microsoft updated the OneDrive Files-on-Demand state icon in File Explorers navigation pane so they now display closer to the file icon.

For more information about OneDrive Files On-Demand, see:
    This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off OneDrive Files On-Demand for your account in Windows 10.

*tip Why don’t I see the Files On-Demand options in OneDrive settings?

If you aren't seeing the Files On-Demand options, the latest version of OneDrive hasn't rolled out to you yet. Here's how to get the latest version of OneDrive.
    1. Make sure you're running (version 16299.15 or later).
    2. Download and install the latest version of OneDrive that's rolling out with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.
    3. Restart your computer.
    4. After your computer restarts, select the Start button, search for “OneDrive”, and then select the OneDrive desktop app.
    5. When OneDrive Setup starts, enter your personal account, or your work or school account, and then select Sign in.
    6. Follow the instructions below to Turn on Files On-Demand.

CONTENTS:

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On OneDrive Files On-Demand
    1. Click/tap on the OneDrive
    icon in the taskbar notification area, click/tap on the menu (3 dots) button, and click/tap on the Settings. (see screenshot below)

*note If OneDrive is currently not running to show this icon, then run: %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe

2. In the Settings tab, check the Save space and download files as you use them box under Files On-Demand, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note If you are not currently signed in to OneDrive with your Microsoft account, the Files On-Demand settings will not be available.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn Off OneDrive Files On-Demand
    1. Click/tap on the OneDrive
    icon in the taskbar notification area and click/tap on the Settings (gear) icon, OR right click on the OneDrive
    icon in the taskbar notification area and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshots below)

2. In the Settings tab, uncheck the Save space and download files as you use them box under Files On-Demand, click/tap on OK in the confirmation prompt, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshots below)

*note If you are not currently signed in to OneDrive with your Microsoft account, the Files On-Demand settings will not be available.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

swarfega, Jun 21, 2017

2. File History & OneDrive on Demand

Disable on demand by following the steps from this website Turn On or Off OneDrive Files On-Demand in Windows 10 then start backin up your files. on demand files are not being saved on your hard drive it is incloud only.

5a5d6cb6-7934-4184-8f8b-e1d16573aa87, Jun 21, 2017
  3. What is the meaning of the Status icons in File Explorer?

The Status column icons are part of MS's OneDrive Files On Demand feature that was rolled out last fall. Here's a good article that explains the meaning of the status icons, and how to turn on/off and control the Files On Demand feature:

Learn about OneDrive Files On-Demand

Wade O'Brien (wobrien), Jun 21, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hey Nick, *Smile

It looks like you'll need to download and install it first then. It still hasn't automatically rolled out to everyone yet.

Brink, Jun 21, 2017
  5. swarfega Win User
    Thanks Shawn, installing now.

swarfega, Jun 21, 2017
  6. Thanks a lot for this quick tutorial! Will be very useful for many!

slicendice, Jul 21, 2017
  7. How do I block apps from doing App-Requested Downloads??? It's driving me mad!

Doctor Clutch, Jul 23, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Doctor Clutch, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Turning off OneDrive files on demand will stop the App-requested downloads messages since they will automatically just download.

Brink, Jul 23, 2017
  9. Eagle51 Win User
    I updated One Drive with the link provided here, but still missing the new On Demand features .... so is this new One Drive (On Demand) working on Non Insider Preview ?
    Win10 Home x64
    Version 1703 (Build 15063.483)
    One Drive
    Version 2016 (Build 17.3.6944.0627)

Eagle51, Jul 23, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Eagle51, *Smile

I'm afraid the OneDrive Files On-demand feature is not available until build 16215 instead. Even if you downloaded and installed the newer OneDrive file.

Brink, Jul 23, 2017
  11. Eagle51 Win User
    Figure that was the case and that sucks ... I like the new features.
    Thanks *Smile

Eagle51, Jul 23, 2017
  12. Not long to wait until build16xxx-series Windows 10 gets officially released. I find the latest Insider build quite stable and very useful. Has it's small glitches still though, so I suggest you patiently wait until all annoyances are fixed. *Smile

slicendice, Jul 23, 2017
  13. AnimaliX Win User

well I testing build 16299.15 which is probably RTM and OneDrive (v. 17.3.6998) missing this feature also

AnimaliX, Oct 3, 2017
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello AnimaliX, *Smile

The Files-On-Demand feature is still available for me in build 16299.15. I have OneDrive version 2017 (build 17.3.7010.0912).

You might see if installing the OneDrive client linked in the green info box at the top of the tutorial may help.

Brink, Oct 3, 2017
  15. AnimaliX Win User
    "green box" link referring to version 17.3.6963 ...

AnimaliX, Oct 3, 2017
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off OneDrive Files On-Demand in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off OneDrive

2. OneDrive Files-On-Demand not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive Files-On-Demand not working: I use OneDrive on several devices, all of which work as intended, apart from one, my Surface Go 2 with W10. Files-On-Demand is checked in settings, but it constantly attempts to download everything until the disk is full. Free up space briefly works, but then the removed...
  3. OneDrive Files-On-Demand not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive Files-On-Demand not working: I use OneDrive on several devices, all of which work as intended, apart from one, my Surface Go 2 with W10. Files-On-Demand is checked in settings, but it constantly attempts to download everything until the disk is full. Free up space briefly works, but then the removed...
  4. OneDrive Files-On-Demand not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. OneDrive, files on demand, and thumbnails

OneDrive, files on demand, and thumbnails: When "Files on demand" is enabled, I can't see the file thumbnails in folders inside OneDrive, even if the file is actually downloaded. How can I fix this?...
  6. cannot turn off files on demand for one drive

cannot turn off files on demand for one drive: i go into one drive settings, go under files on demand and uncheck it ,when i hit ok, it automatically checks it again.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-turn-off-files-on-demand-for-one-drive/ff15dd9b-b300-4114-b317-cd5acc850780
  7. Turning on "Files on Demand" in OneDrive

Turning on "Files on Demand" in OneDrive: Hi I've just read a useful article on the "Files on Demand" feature of OneDrive: https://www.brucebnews.com/2017/11/the-confusing-story-of-onedrive-files-on-demand-2/ It instructs me to "Right-click on the OneDrive icon in the taskbar and click on Settings" to get the...
  8. I turned off files on demand in onedrive, onedrive downloaded them, but can not any of them.

I turned off files on demand in onedrive, onedrive downloaded them, but can not any of them.: the onedrive icon on task bar showed it was downloading over 6gig, when I look in the Onedrive directory all, all directories have green circle with white check mark but I can not find any of the using the file explorer, opening the my pc section on the left. any idea how...
  9. OneDrive's Files On-Demand not working?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive's Files On-Demand not working?: Hello, So I just clean installed the Fall Creators Update without any problems. I wanted to try out the OneDrive's File On-Demand feature. I noticed that I had to update OneDrive manually for that feature option to appear in OneDrive's Settings so I got the update from...
  10. OneDrive Files On-Demand For The Enterprise

in Windows 10 News
    OneDrive Files On-Demand For The Enterprise: OneDrive Files On-Demand has been designed from the ground up for enterprises. Files On-Demand leverages the Windows Fall Creators update to simplify the user experience with cloud storage and sync, bring the power of the cloud into Windows File Explorer, and dramatically...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. turn on one drive on demand

2. turn off files on demand

3. how to turn off files on demand in one drive

4. Onedrive Turn off Files On-Demand in bulk,
  5. disable files on demand windows 10,
  6. onedrive turn off files on demand windows 7,
  7. turn off file on demand onedrive,
  8. onedrive files on-demand turn off windows 10