Windows 10: Freeing up space in Windows (C:)

Discus and support Freeing up space in Windows (C:) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am getting errors saying that I do not have any storage left, so I looked and my windows (C) drive is full ( 665MB free of 118 GB) but my DATA (D)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by emorymcdougald, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Freeing up space in Windows (C:)

I am getting errors saying that I do not have any storage left, so I looked and my windows (C) drive is full ( 665MB free of 118 GB) but my DATA (D) drive still has a lot of storage space (876 GB free of 913 GB). I have changed the defaults to now save new things to (D) but I still need to move some things out of (C). I am worried that if I just drag and drop certain things from (C) to (D) I might lose something. I just want to make sure that it is safe before I mess something up. Any help/advice is appreciated.

Thanks

:)

emorymcdougald, Feb 27, 2017
  2. voronnyc Win User

Freeing up space in C drive (to D?)

I've tried that but right clicking on the folder or file does not give me the option of moving them. Just copying them.

voronnyc, Feb 27, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Freeing up space in C drive (to D?)

In Windows File Explorer, if you click on 'This PC' in the left pane, then on the right hand pane, if you right click your library folders, this option should appear What version of Windows 10 are you running

Freeing up space in Windows (C:) [​IMG]

If these options do not appear, you might need to edit your registry

Navigate to these keys in your registry and see they are set correctly (Note Dave is my user name, replace it with yours . . .

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

DaveM121, Feb 27, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Freeing up space in Windows (C:)

Welcome to TenForums @emorymcdougald

One thing you could easily move from C: to D: is your pagefile, it's normally at least as large as your installed memory. Go to Control Panel\System and Security\System and click Advanced system settings. Create a system managed page file on D: and set 'none' on C: (you may need a reboot). More in this Tutorial.
    Virtual Memory Pagefile - Manage in Windows 10

Then you can have a look at what's using up the space on C: - if you haven't done so already, run Disk Clean-up and click its 'Clean up system files' button. Amongst other things, you'll probably find a lot of space can be released by cleaning 'Windows updates'.
    Disk Cleanup - Open and Use in Windows 10

Those two actions should regain several GB on C: - if that's not enough for you at least it will give you breathing space to move other things at your leisure.

5. I'm going to assume that your C drive is an SSD. If so, this would be a great time to upgrade to a larger one. You can find 256 GB ones very cheap, and even get a great deal on a 500-512 GB, if you wanted to jump t that size.

DeaconFrost, Feb 27, 2017
  6. spunk Win User
    You can move your personal files, (ie) Pictures, Music, Documents etc to the D: drive. This should free up a lot of space.
    Go to Start/Search and type diskmgmt.msc, Right click the diskmgmt results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Disk Management window, in the lower pane, attach a screenshot in your next post.
    If C: and D: are on the same disk (ie) Disk 0, Disk 1 etc, you may be able to increase the size of C: by using some of the D: drives space. If they are separate drives, then consider getting a larger SSD drive as suggested.

spunk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Freeing up space in Windows (C:)

1. Freeing up space in Windows (C:) - Similar Threads - Freeing space

2. I deleted a local account on my computer to free up storage space, but none of the space it...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I deleted a local account on my computer to free up storage space, but none of the space it...: I have been running low on storage lately, so I decided to remove one of the local accounts on my laptop Windows 10 to free up a good chunk of space. After pressing the button to remove the account, I simply watched to see if the account disappeared from the list of local...
  3. I deleted a local account on my computer to free up storage space, but none of the space it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I deleted a local account on my computer to free up storage space, but none of the space it...: I have been running low on storage lately, so I decided to remove one of the local accounts on my laptop Windows 10 to free up a good chunk of space. After pressing the button to remove the account, I simply watched to see if the account disappeared from the list of local...
  4. I deleted a local account on my computer to free up storage space, but none of the space it...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Mving files from C to D, still asks for free space on C?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mving files from C to D, still asks for free space on C?: Premise: this is not my issue, but of someone who asked me.He has 2 disks: C with little free space, and D, external ssd, with 750 Gb of free space.So, he wants to move some files from C to D, but Windows 11 doesn't allow it because "he doesn't have enough free space". Why?He...
  6. Mving files from C to D, still asks for free space on C?

Mving files from C to D, still asks for free space on C?: Premise: this is not my issue, but of someone who asked me.He has 2 disks: C with little free space, and D, external ssd, with 750 Gb of free space.So, he wants to move some files from C to D, but Windows 11 doesn't allow it because "he doesn't have enough free space". Why?He...
  7. If I want do delete one of those to free up some disk space will it delete the account data...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If I want do delete one of those to free up some disk space will it delete the account data...: So I have 2 different account of my computer that I can sign into whenever I start my computer and if I want do delete one of those to free up some disk space will it delete the account data of that user if all of the data is also on another user in my PC?...
  8. If I want do delete one of those to free up some disk space will it delete the account data...

If I want do delete one of those to free up some disk space will it delete the account data...: So I have 2 different account of my computer that I can sign into whenever I start my computer and if I want do delete one of those to free up some disk space will it delete the account data of that user if all of the data is also on another user in my PC?...
  9. Im installing windows from a bootable usb but its saying i must free up space in my primary...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Im installing windows from a bootable usb but its saying i must free up space in my primary...: I dont want to just delete all my files as im trying to have a folder with all my old files in it after my installation. What do i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-installing-windows-from-a-bootable-usb-but-its/89a6a1a8-8fee-4131-a77a-71fcad18c2d9
  10. Im installing windows from a bootable usb but its saying i must free up space in my primary...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Im installing windows from a bootable usb but its saying i must free up space in my primary...: I dont want to just delete all my files as im trying to have a folder with all my old files in it after my installation. What do i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-installing-windows-from-a-bootable-usb-but-its/89a6a1a8-8fee-4131-a77a-71fcad18c2d9