Windows 10: Manage Virtual Memory Pagefile in Windows 10

Discus and support Manage Virtual Memory Pagefile in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Manage Virtual Memory Pagefile in Windows 10 How to Manage Virtual Memory Pagefile in Windows 10 Paging is a memory management scheme by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Manage Virtual Memory Pagefile in Windows 10

How to: Manage Virtual Memory Pagefile in Windows 10

How to Manage Virtual Memory Pagefile in Windows 10

Paging is a memory management scheme by which a PC stores and retrieves data from secondary storage for use in main memory. In this scheme, the operating system retrieves data from secondary storage in same-size blocks called pages. Paging is an important part of virtual memory implementations in modern operating systems, using secondary storage to let programs exceed the size of available physical memory.

For simplicity, main memory is called "RAM" (abbreviated from "random-access memory") and secondary storage is called "disk" (a shorthand for "hard disk drive"), but the concepts do not depend on whether these terms apply literally to a specific computer system.

Virtual memory is a memory management technique that is implemented using both hardware and software. It maps memory addresses used by a program, called virtual addresses, into physical addresses in computer memory. Main storage as seen by a process or task appears as a contiguous address space or collection of contiguous segments. Windows manages virtual address spaces and the assignment of real memory to virtual memory. Address translation hardware in the CPU, often referred to as a memory management unit or MMU, automatically translates virtual addresses to physical addresses. Software within Windows may extend these capabilities to provide a virtual address space that can exceed the capacity of real memory and thus reference more memory than is physically present in the computer.

The primary benefits of virtual memory include freeing applications from having to manage a shared memory space, increased security due to memory isolation, and being able to conceptually use more memory than might be physically available, using the technique of paging.

Basically, a paging file is an area on the hard disk that Windows uses as if it were RAM in addition to the install RAM.

References:
    By default, Windows automatically manages the pagefile settings for you, but there may be times you may need to manually manage your pagefile. For example:
    • If the C: drive that Windows is installed on is small in size, you may wish to remove the pagefile from that drive, and add a paging file to another drive with more space instead.
    • If you use a lot of memory, then you may wish to add a pagefile to another drive to have available if needed.
    • If you don't use a lot of memory and your pagefile is large in size, you may wish to use a smaller custom size.
    • If you are getting a BSOD PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA or KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR or Low Memory type error, you may need to use a larger custom size for the pagefile.
    This tutorial will show you how to manage the virtual memory paging file for each drive on your Windows 10 PC.

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to make changes to the pagefile.

EXAMPLE: pagefile.sys on Windows C: drive

Manage Virtual Memory Pagefile in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Here's How:

1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the System icon.

2. Click/tap on the Advanced system settings link on the left side in System, and close the System window. (see screenshot below)

*note You can also press the Win+R keys to open Run, type SystemPropertiesPerformance.exe, and click/tap on OK to directly open Performance Options at step 4 below.

3. In the Advanced tab, click/tap on the Settings button in the Performance section. (see screenshot below)

4. In the Advanced tab, click/tap on the Change button in the Virtual memory section. (see screenshot below)

5. Do step 6 (custom size), step 7 (remove), step 8 (system managed), or step 9 (all system managed) for how you want to manage the paging file on your drive(s).

6. To Set a Custom Size for Paging File Size on a Drive
    A) Uncheck the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives box. (see screenshot below step 6F)

B) Select a drive (ex: C: ) you want to either set a custom size or add a paging file. (see screenshot below step 6F)

C) Select (dot) Custom size. (see screenshot below step 6F)

D) Enter the Initial size (minimal) you want in MB (1024 MB = 1 GB) for the paging file on the selected drive. (see screenshot below step 6F)

E) Enter the Maximum size you want in MB (1024 MB = 1 GB) for the paging file on the selected drive. (see screenshot below step 6F)

F) Click/tap on the Set button. (see screenshot below)

G) Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

H) Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

I) Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below step 4)

J) Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below step 3)

K) Click/tap on Restart Now to restart the computer to apply your changes. (see screenshot below)

7. To Remove (disable) Paging File on a Drive
    A) Uncheck the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives box. (see screenshot below step 7D)

B) Select a drive (ex: C: ) you want to remove a paging file from. (see screenshot below step 7D)

C) Select (dot) No paging file. (see screenshot below step 7D)

D) Click/tap on the Set button. (see screenshot below)

E) Click/tap on Yes to confirm. (see screenshot below)

F) Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

G) Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

H) Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below step 4)

I) Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below step 3)

J) Click/tap on Restart Now to restart the computer to apply your changes. (see screenshot below)

8. To Set Size of Paging File on a Drive to be System Managed
    A) Uncheck the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives box. (see screenshot below step 8D)

B) Select a drive (ex: C: ) you want to have its paging file size system managed. (see screenshot below step 8D)

C) Select (dot) System managed size. (see screenshot below step 8D)

D) Click/tap on the Set button. (see screenshot below)

E) Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

F) Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below step 4)

G) Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below step 3)

9. To Set Size of Paging File on All Drives to be System Managed
    A) Check the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives box, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

B) Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below step 4)

C) Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below step 3)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jan 26, 2018

2. Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10

Hi,
    Nice one Shawn
    What's the listing above about is that to help with the new fake shut down features ?

ThrashZone, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Clear Pagefile on Shutdown

I've been looking into clearing the pagefile, and I found the following steps at a somewhat dated webpage:
    1. In the registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
    2. Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown to the REG_DWORD value of 1.
    3. Restart Windows.
    I'm just wondering whether those steps are still valid, and, if so, does clearing the pagefile work as advertised?

gregyurkon, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Manage Virtual Memory Pagefile in Windows 10

increasing of virtual memory

Hi,

You should let Windows handle the Virtual Memory as it will increase or decrease its size on the fly (as needed). Increasing virtual memory "might" allow some programs to run more efficiently (large memory consuming programs such as Photoshop). However setting
    the virtual memory too high can significantly slow down your computer.

How to Manage Virtual Memory Pagefile in Windows 10

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Brink Win User
    Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Brink Win User
    Brink, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Manage Virtual Memory Pagefile in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Manage Virtual Memory

2. Virtual memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual memory: Hello all hope every one is having a good Day/Night I have a Asus IntelR CoreTM i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz with 24 gig of ram With a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 TiI Play Games mostly on my pc like The Witcher series, Fallout series, Borderlands Series & Red Dead Redemption 2 ....
  3. Virtual memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual memory: Hello all hope every one is having a good Day/Night I have a Asus IntelR CoreTM i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz with 24 gig of ram With a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 TiI Play Games mostly on my pc like The Witcher series, Fallout series, Borderlands Series & Red Dead Redemption 2 ....
  4. Virtual Memory

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Virtual Memory: I have a SSD 128gb and 1TB HDD.Should i set more VM on HDD does it make the pc run better or should i check the AUTOMATICALLY MANAGE PAGING FILE FOR ALL DRIVES Currently, i set Virtual memory like this :...
  5. Windows 10 virtual memory

Windows 10 virtual memory: So I've got 32GB of RAM, 38% of it is used, still Windows thinks it necessary to wreak havoc on my poor HDD instead? That poor baby's moaning and groaning away at 100% while running some memory intensive programs, meanwhile my RAM which is specifically designed for that task...
  6. Virtual memory

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Virtual memory: Hi guys, I'm trying to clear up some space on my SSD to install some games and I've noticed that my virtual memory is taking up 244GB !! I feel like this is highly irregular as all I can find online is about upping the virtual memory size. I'd like to reduce this, but I'm not...
  7. Logical bad sectors in the disk of virtual memory pagefile

Logical bad sectors in the disk of virtual memory pagefile: Dear community, My laptop is having frequent UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION issue. A previous question related to that:...
  8. Pagefile does not grow / increase - crashes because I run out of virtual memory

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pagefile does not grow / increase - crashes because I run out of virtual memory: [ATTACH] I have constant crashes in the new Flight Simulator (and had them with the shader compilation when starting Horizon Zero Dawn the first time or updating GPU drivers). I have 16 GB physical RAM and the pagefile is set to the recommended Automatic + System managed...
  9. Enable or Disable Virtual Memory Pagefile Encryption in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Virtual Memory Pagefile Encryption in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Virtual Memory Pagefile Encryption in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Virtual Memory Pagefile Encryption in Windows 10 Encrypting the pagefile prevents malicious users from reading data that has been paged to disk, but also adds processing...
  10. Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10: How to: Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10 How to Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10 Virtual memory support uses a system pagefile to swap pages of memory to disk when they are not used. On a running system, this pagefile is...