Windows 10: General Troubleshooting Advice

Discus and support General Troubleshooting Advice in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've got a desktop PC (Athlon 32bit, 2G Ram) that no matter the OS (I've tried 7SP3, 8.1U1 as well as 10TP) the machine will run for an indefinite... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by bbscruffybuck, Dec 20, 2014.

1. General Troubleshooting Advice

I've got a desktop PC (Athlon 32bit, 2G Ram) that no matter the OS (I've tried 7SP3, 8.1U1 as well as 10TP) the machine will run for an indefinite amount of time if in BIOS, or in the event of having booted from DVD (ie, Paragon, Hirens, even 10ISO) but as SOON as you boot to HDD or (as in the case of an OS Install) get to the part of entering USER NAME and other personal settings, the machine shuts off. ZIP. ZAP. No BSOD, no Tah Tah See ya Later, no nothin'! I'm seeing nothing in the event logs other than things I would expect (failed installation, etc--whatever it was actually DOING at the time but nothing leading to a cause. My first thought was thermal event but reseating the processor with a fresh coat of thermal paste and a nice shiny clean heatsink and fan produces nothing but a decidedly more quiet failure.

Using HD Sentinel, both HDD's are testing fine, as is just about everything else I've run diagnostics on from memory to system board to HDD's.

Any suggestions before it joins the other failed "fun restoration" projects that might or might not have been tossed into the ocean? (Kidding, of course I wouldn't do that!)

The machine isn't worth a lot of my time or effort--this is more of a last ditch attempt for someone to say have you checked _______ and I'll go, "Flick! No, I forgot about that." Otherwise, seriously, it's toast.

:)

bbscruffybuck, Dec 20, 2014

2. Next nokia n-series and general advice

I'm sorry , did I hurt your feelings because you've just bought a brand new phone with a dead OS on it? Out of interest how many of your 150 apps are actually useful or of a high quality? I'm betting not many.

Ray.

Ray Hipkiss, Dec 20, 2014
  3. Next nokia n-series and general advice

ok thanks il look in to them and see how they are, 1 more question. if you cant discuss my other questions are you able to tell us when we can expect some kind of announcement regarding n-series?

markantonysmith, Dec 20, 2014
  4. General Troubleshooting Advice

Slartybart, Dec 29, 2014
  5. Thanks, Bill--indeed a snapshot of the disk management console (or a few others even) would be most helpful, but I can't get it to stay on long enough to run anything under computer management. Same goes for Speccy--though a sidenote question: How/why do you choose Speccy over (my favorite) Belarc? I've not compared them really, Belarc was the first I installed, did what I needed so I stopped. Am I missing out?

As for the PC from Cupertino, as I have begun calling it, I've given up, parted it out and started testing each individual component as I remove it. So far, everything has tested good leading me more and more to believe it's the MoBo, specifically the onboard SATA controller. Once everything is off the board I'll give it a fresh PSU and HDD and see how it does as a complete barebones deal.

bbscruffybuck, Jan 1, 2015
  6. Belarc is great, but the output is not for public consumption (posting on a forum) as some keys are exposed. A savvy member can edit the HTML out to remove that sort of information, but not all members have the same experience level. If a member doesn't understand or forgets to edit the file, their license(s) are there for the world to see. An admin might take it down or I'll remind the member to remove the sensitive info and repost, but.... well you get the drift.

A PUBLISHED Speccy snapshot strips sensitive information out before hosting the file on Piriform servers. All a member has to do is paste the link Speccy gives them and we're golden.

Using Speccy is easiest for all involved.

Sounds as though you have the bases covered ... strip it down and build it back up to determine the point of failure.

Good luck, post what you find out.

Bill

Slartybart, Jan 2, 2015
  7. Thank you, Bill--I guess I'm the worst case scenario then--I'm perfectly happy editing HTML, but wouldn't have even thought about the software keys exposed in Belarc! Installing Speccy as we speak!

bbscruffybuck, Jan 2, 2015
  8. General Troubleshooting Advice

Try removing RAM from the computer. I've had issues like this and I was able to get around the problem due to RAM being different types and or a RAM stick is defective. I would try booting with only one stick, if it works, add another, and if it errs again, try a different stick. It has worked for me on numerous occasions. Good luck.

play2mefish, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

General Troubleshooting Advice

1. General Troubleshooting Advice - Similar Threads - General Troubleshooting Advice

2. Windows 11 BSOD multiple troubleshooting steps done looking for advice

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 BSOD multiple troubleshooting steps done looking for advice: Hey, Having trouble Narrowing down my pc problems , multiple times a day I get a BSOD sometimes it leads to the system not booting telling me my windows is corrupted I shut the system down and it starts again just fine . I Have went through multiple steps already to resolve...
  3. Windows 11 BSOD multiple troubleshooting steps done looking for advice

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 BSOD multiple troubleshooting steps done looking for advice: Hey, Having trouble Narrowing down my pc problems , multiple times a day I get a BSOD sometimes it leads to the system not booting telling me my windows is corrupted I shut the system down and it starts again just fine . I Have went through multiple steps already to resolve...
  4. Need some general advice on what kind of monitor I should be looking for

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Need some general advice on what kind of monitor I should be looking for: I don't play video games, the most important use of this monitor would be watching movies, apart from that I use it for typical desktop/internet browsing activity. I'm on a budget, so I'm looking to get off cheap here, say around $350-400. Now, I have a few questions: #1...
  5. Need some general advice on what kind of monitor I should be looking for

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Need some general advice on what kind of monitor I should be looking for: I don't play video games, the most important use of this monitor would be watching movies, apart from that I use it for typical desktop/internet browsing activity. I'm on a budget, so I'm looking to get off cheap here, say around $350-400. Now, I have a few questions: #1...
  6. How to troubleshoot general Remote Desktop connection issues on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to troubleshoot general Remote Desktop connection issues on Windows 10: [ATTACH]Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) is a proprietary protocol developed by Microsoft which provides a user with a graphical interface to connect to another computer over a network connection. The user employs RDP client software for this purpose, while the other computer...
  7. Advice ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Advice ?: I just want to start by saying I dont know much about computers at all. I just got an oculus rift s. When i plug it in it quickly recognizes it as being plugged into the usb 3 port, and then cuts all power to it. The driver (i think) is giving an error 43 code. The oculus...
  8. advice

advice: working from home, and my USB headset is playing up, everyone can hear me via my mic but no sounds coming through headphone, only option is to play it through the computer unit. Any ideas or help/ appreciated. ive tried restarting. the speaker option states my usb headset...
  9. Computer troubleshooting/advice?

Computer troubleshooting/advice?: So I booted up my computer today after about 12 days of inactivity. Everything seemed fine, itunes tried to update and I told it to "never check for updates" in the update pop up window, it asked for permission to write to computer and I granted it. Shortly after it crashed...
  10. General Scanner problems, troubleshooting tips and solutions

in Windows 10 News
    General Scanner problems, troubleshooting tips and solutions: [ATTACH] Nothing is worse than completing a project before time but submitting it late due to ‘Slow Scan or Print’ problem. Similarly, other issues with the scanner can cause frustration to the users. In today’s column, we’ve highlighted some major Scanner [...] This post...