Windows 10: Generic Taskbar Icons and Blank File Explorer Thumbnails

Discus and support Generic Taskbar Icons and Blank File Explorer Thumbnails in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; After randomly restarting my system, not after an update, all the icons on my taskbar except UWP apps were replaced with this generic icon: [ATTACH]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MethJaya, Feb 1, 2020.

1. MethJaya Win User

Generic Taskbar Icons and Blank File Explorer Thumbnails

After randomly restarting my system, not after an update, all the icons on my taskbar except UWP apps were replaced with this generic icon:

Generic Taskbar Icons and Blank File Explorer Thumbnails 545d2526-f756-4400-bed2-e4d6011af165?upload=true.png

Also, all the icons/thumbnails everywhere on File Explorer are completely blank, no matter the size the icons are set to:

Generic Taskbar Icons and Blank File Explorer Thumbnails 51c5fc0c-879b-441e-b09c-a551fbd12f0f?upload=true.png

Also, when i try to open the Properties Window for any file or folder, nothing opens at all. I think this is related because it happened at the same time.

I have tried pretty much every solution for similar problems on the internet, including sfc /scannow on Command Prompt no integrity violations showed up, deleting icon and thumbnail caches did nothing, unchecking the "Always show icons, never thumbnails" option on File Explorer it was never checked in the first place, and many other things. The thing is, I could not find any case posted on the internet of the exact problem I am having right now. It's either the thumbnails are only showing something wrong, not completely blank, or a different icon on the taskbar.

I also tried creating a new user account, and it had the same issue. I think something is corrupted but I have no idea how to fix it without resetting the device, which I do not want to do.

Any help would be appreciated as soon as possible, thanks.

:)

MethJaya, Feb 1, 2020
  2. sirrus Win User

Blank Thumbnails on Taskbar and Paper white images icon

Hi, After the recent update 1709 -- (The fall update I think) I've encounter issues with thumbnail previewer. I does not show thumbnail images but default icon instead

Generic Taskbar Icons and Blank File Explorer Thumbnails [​IMG]

it wasn't my first time I've encountered this, It happened same thing on every updates. So knew I'd need to rebuild icon and thumbnail cache once again so I following this steps...

Rebuild Icon Cache in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials
    Clear and Reset Thumbnail Cache in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials
    After Creators Update 2 thumbnails cache keeps auto-deleting Solved - Windows 10 Forums

After few restart, it did not solve my issues issues, It did not rebuild cache but went for worst. Now I got I got a blank icon/thumbnails on taskbar (left of screen) and it seem to happen only on windows store app (i.e. calendar, mail, photo previewer and etc..) not the third party programs.

I also have issues with images (almost most image format) showing paper white thumbnails, instead of previewer or default icon.

I cannot fathom how this happen. I've spend hours goggling for solution, done many different methods on rebuilding icon and reboot pc 50+ times. Went through recovery and rollback version. sfc /scannow DISM. virus screening, disk cleaning and etc none of it detect my issues and its driving me nuts.
    Instead of having to reset windows and reinstall many of 3rd parties program again I was hoping there are solution. Would anyone by any chance know what the issues are? Thanks in advance.

sirrus, Feb 1, 2020
  3. jackin Win User
    How to fix taskbar showing generic blank icons on Windows 7 professional?

How to fix taskbar showing generic blank icons on Windows 7 professional?

Generic Taskbar Icons and Blank File Explorer Thumbnails 67d2b65a-a526-42eb-baec-6b5480451d19?upload=true.jpg

These icons correspond to Windows Explorer, IE and Office 365 programs.

Steps i took to resolve issue, but did not help are:

1. In order to fix generic blank icon issue on taskbar i killed explorer.exe and restarted it but this did not resolve issue.
    2. Ran quick repair on Office 365 & restarted Windows.

jackin, Feb 1, 2020
  4. O0mix0O Win User

ALL icons missing/blank (desktop, taskbar, explorer)

Hi all,

• - Had the laptop hooked up to the TV last night via HDMI
      - Unplugged, then closed lid - putting it to sleep
      - Turned on today, no icons whatsoever.

- Tried restarting the laptop
      - Tried restarting 'explorer.exe'

Any tips for getting them back? It's annoying the hell out of me!

Thanks in advance!

Also:
    When I open the explorer when uploading or downloading something, the icons are there..

Here's a pic:

O0mix0O, Feb 1, 2020
Thema:

1. Generic Taskbar Icons and Blank File Explorer Thumbnails - Similar Threads - Generic Taskbar Icons

2. Taskbar icons for File Explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar icons for File Explorer: I've always kept File Explorer (Windows Explorer) pinned to my taskbar, and the familiar 'folder' icon made it quick and easy to find and click. With Windows 10, this icon now changes, depending on what kind of folder I'm looking through. For example, if I'm looking at my...
  3. File Explorer icon on TASKBAR

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer icon on TASKBAR: I clicked "something" and the File Explorer icon has disappeared. Can't find how to reactivate and pin it to the taskbar. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-icon-on-taskbar/aa43e35f-8e49-4f9f-b66b-7465e1862762
  4. some icons show blank generic icon

in Windows 10 Support
    some icons show blank generic icon: i have a problem with my windows 10 desktop (1903 built 18362.952) where the icons will be blanked (see the attachement with the red squares) - how do i reset it? it also appears in file explorer. it does not effect my programs operation however. 149110
  5. generic application icons in taskbar

generic application icons in taskbar: Hi, just two days ago I did a fresh installation of windows 10 v. 1809 and reinstalled all the applications that I use on a regular basis. I've run in to a strange issue where some of the icons in the task bar appear as generic icons as you can see in the screenshot. The...
  6. File Explorer Showing Blank Thumbnail on Medium/Large Icons Option.

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Showing Blank Thumbnail on Medium/Large Icons Option.: this happened outa know where and havent found anyone else like this. ive tried every method out there http://prntscr.com/l2cgoh Already tried this method and also tried cleaning thumbnail files in my ssd and it just messes up my computer after i wipe then my computer gets...
  7. file explorer icon on taskbar

file explorer icon on taskbar: My "file explorer icon" has disappeared from my taskbar. don't know how or when. where do I find it or how do I put it back there? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_taskbar/file-explorer-icon-on-taskbar/393db9be-718c-4052-92b0-e76ac3d3052c
  8. File Explorer Icons blank

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Icons blank: After reinstalling Windows 10 my Word and data file icons were blank. I found in C:\windows\SHELLNEWthat the WINWORD8.DOC icon was blank so I changed it to the correct icon and itfixed my problems! See image: 90226
  9. Blank Thumbnails on Taskbar and Paper white images icon

in Windows 10 Support
    Blank Thumbnails on Taskbar and Paper white images icon: Hi, After the recent update 1709 -- (The fall update I think) I've encounter issues with thumbnail previewer. I does not show thumbnail images but default icon instead [img] it wasn't my first time I've encountered this, It happened same thing on every updates. So knew...
  10. Icon for cmd.exe blank in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Icon for cmd.exe blank in File Explorer: The icon for cmd.exe is a blank file as in the image. [img] You can see the icon is correct in the properties window. [img] This is a recent clean install of windows about a week ago. Not sure when they changed but I do remember having the icon correct after the...