Windows 10: Clear and Reset Thumbnail Cache in Windows 10

Discus and support Clear and Reset Thumbnail Cache in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Clear and Reset Thumbnail Cache in Windows 10 How to Clear and Reset the Thumbnail Cache in Windows 10 Windows keeps a copy of all your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Doverboy, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Doverboy Win User

Clear and Reset Thumbnail Cache in Windows 10

How to: Clear and Reset Thumbnail Cache in Windows 10

How to Clear and Reset the Thumbnail Cache in Windows 10

Windows keeps a copy of all your folder, picture, video, and document thumbnails in a cache so they can be reused to quickly display when you open a folder instead of having to manually scan and slowly load them each time.

The thumbnail cache can sometimes become corrupted causing thumbnails to display incorrectly or distorted. When this happens, the thumbnail cache needs to be deleted to reset it and automatically recreate as needed.

This tutorial will show you how to clear and reset the thumbnail cache for your account in Windows 10.

*note The thumbnail cache .db files for each user is located in the hidden folder below.

%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    (C:\Users\{user-name}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer)

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Clear and Reset Thumbnail Cache in Disk Cleanup
    • Option Two: To Clear and Reset Thumbnail Cache using a BAT file

OPTION ONE [/i] To Clear and Reset Thumbnail Cache in Disk Cleanup
    1. Open Disk Cleanup.

2. Check the Thumbnails box, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

Clear and Reset Thumbnail Cache in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Click/tap on Delete Files to confirm. (see screenshot below)

4. When finished, restart the computer to fully apply.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Clear and Reset Thumbnail Cache using a BAT file
    1. Close and save anything that you are working on before proceeding. The next steps will involve restarting explorer.

2. Do step 3 or step 4 below for which .bat file you would like to use.

3. To Use a .bat file to Instantly Clear and Reset Thumbnail Cache without Prompting
    A) Click/tap on the download button below to download the file below.
    Instant_Clear_and_Reset_Thumbnail_Cache.bat

Download
    B) Save the .bat file to your desktop, and run the .bat file.

C) If prompted, click/tap on Run to approve. If you like, you can unblock the .bat file to no longer get the Run (Open File - Security Warning) prompt.

D) You will now notice your screen flash as a command prompt opens and closes to kill explorer, delete your thumbnail cache, and restart explorer.

E) When finished, restart the computer to fully apply.

4. To Use a .bat file to Clear and Reset Thumbnail Cache with Prompting
    A) Click/tap on the download button below to download the file below.
    Prompt_to_Clear_and_Reset_Thumbnail_Cache.bat

Download
    B) Save the .bat file to your desktop, and run the .bat file.

C) If prompted, click/tap on Run to approve. If you like, you can unblock the .bat file to no longer get the Run (Open File - Security Warning) prompt.

D) Follow the instructions in the command prompt to rebuild your thumbnail cache. (see screenshot below)

E) When finished, restart the computer to fully apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Doverboy, Jan 18, 2016
  2. auggy Win User

Explorer.exe keeps restarting/crashing whenever I try to right click something on windows 10?

There may be an issue with the thumbnail cache.

Can you clear and reset the thumbnail cache and see if it helps any:

Also, try installing the recent Windows KB3163018 cumulative update available via Windows Update.

auggy, Jan 18, 2016
  3. How do I see photos and not the icon in my pictures files?

If you click the View tab in the Pictures folder, you can choose Large or Extra large icons.

If you are not seeing the actual photo, you will need to reset the icon cache:

Rebuild Icon Cache, Clear Thumbnail cache in Windows 10

Andre Da Costa, Jan 18, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello DB, *Smile

The only problem with that is Windows will also no longer be able to update the thumbnail cache after using the method you posted.

Brink, Jan 18, 2016
  5. Doverboy Win User
    Ugh. That's not going to work, then. Any solution or should I just deal with the cache reloading every time? Thanks!

Doverboy, Jan 18, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It depends on how often you add to the folder. If often, then you'll be better to not use the method you posted.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend the method for that very reason.

Brink, Jan 18, 2016
  7. Doverboy Win User
    Thanks, Brink. Much appreciated...

I'm hoping you keep a side journal to track issues like this!

Be well!

Doverboy, Jan 18, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jan 18, 2016
  9. Hi, I tried the first .bat file but nothing changed, so I tried the second and now everything is an icon. Is there a way to change it back to thumbnails? I may have driven myself into a hole, I'm not great with computers and these icons are pissing me off.

yoyopowerranger, Mar 5, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello yoyopowerranger, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Both .bat files essential do the same thing, but one prompts and the other doesn't.

If you haven't already, restart the computer.

In addition, please post a screenshot showing the icons to see what may be wrong.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...en-forums.html

Brink, Mar 5, 2016
  11. Ok, ok... I'll start with my initial problem. I generally use the mp4 video file on my computer, as it's simple. I downloaded a file onto my computer on a torrent app (not pirating, it's a project for my film course, a short film I made), and it was an icon, not a thumbnail. I tried a few apps to change this, such as Icaros and MetaX, but none worked. This was back in WIndows 8. I then went into a folder of mp4s, and all but 2 were icons now. I updated to Windows 10, and that folder was fixed. However, others began having the same problems. I found this .bat way to go on here. I just realised I did the second option twice, without prompts. Point is, first time I did it nothing changed, second time now everything is an icon. I did restart after both. I think there is a possibility the original file may have been corrupted in some way, though I could still play it. I have also uninstalled the torrent application. Some of these files are also m4v.

Each of my shorts have a poster I and a friend designed, and the thumbnails make it easier to identify quickly. The icons are irritating and I have OCD. If there's a way to reverse the .bat's effects, that may help firstly. Thanks for your help though, it really is appreciated,

12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The .bat files only affect the thumbnail cache. The icons appear to be from setting VLC Media Player as the default program for .mp4 files instead.

If you like, you could download and merge the .reg file for the listed mp4 item in the table of OPTION TWO in the tutorial below to restore the default association of .mp4 files.

Default File Type Associations - Restore in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Brink, Mar 5, 2016
  13. Clear and Reset Thumbnail Cache in Windows 10

Oh my god, thank you so much, that worked perfectly. There's no m4v option, but I can definitely live with that. Again, thank you, I've been trying various sites for a week and you're the only one that has given clear, working answers. You are a guru.

14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. I'm glad it could help. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clear and Reset Thumbnail Cache in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Clear Reset Thumbnail

2. Cleared Thumbnail Cache Creates Error in Thumbnail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cleared Thumbnail Cache Creates Error in Thumbnail: I recently cleaned the thumbnail cache on my computer. However, an error occurred in my thumbnail, previously the thumbnail showed my laptop icon, and it is black now. How to fix it ?...
  3. Cleared Thumbnail Cache Creates Error in Thumbnail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cleared Thumbnail Cache Creates Error in Thumbnail: I recently cleaned the thumbnail cache on my computer. However, an error occurred in my thumbnail, previously the thumbnail showed my laptop icon, and it is black now. How to fix it ?...
  4. How to clear the Cache in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to clear the Cache in Windows 10: [ATTACH]There are times when users must make efforts to clear their Windows 10 cache, […] This article How to clear the Cache in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  5. clear cache

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    clear cache: How do I clear cache in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clear-cache/88e77c48-6176-469c-815c-2c825048c7fe
  6. How to Rebuild Icon Cache, Clear Thumbnail cache in Windows 10

How to Rebuild Icon Cache, Clear Thumbnail cache in Windows 10: Hi, I am facing problem as the Progress Bar keep running green after the optional windows update of KB455094 though I have deleted it but the problem remain same. Even Explorer can not be open unless I reboot computer whenever I have to access folders in Explorer....
  7. Clearing cach - windows 10

Clearing cach - windows 10: How do I clear cache? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clearing-cach-windows-10/42366b1a-40dd-4395-b170-b5137b4f0bd7
  8. Clearing cache

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Clearing cache: How do I clear cache on Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clearing-cache/1b4043d8-15be-4402-8bac-078d8b32570c
  9. Clear and Reset External Display Cache in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Clear and Reset External Display Cache in Windows 10: How to: Clear and Reset External Display Cache in Windows 10 How to Clear and Reset External Display Cache in Windows 10 The display cache in Windows 10 helps the computer to remember what mode and resolution to use when a particular display output is detected from a...
  10. Clear and Reset Store Cache in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Clear and Reset Store Cache in Windows 10: How to: Clear and Reset Store Cache in Windows 10 How to Clear and Reset the Store Cache in Windows 10 The Microsoft Store app in Windows 10 offers various apps, games, music, movies & TV, and books that users can browse through, purchase, or get for free to download...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. delete and rebuild thumbnail cache bat

2. Instant_Clear_and_Reset_Thumbnail_Cache.bat

3. instant_clear_and_Reset__

4. if i clear and reset thumbnail cache will my files be deleted windows 10,
  5. Is it safe To Clear & Reset The Thumbnail Cache In Windows 10