Windows 10: Give access to my public folder only on local network to a macos user

Discus and support Give access to my public folder only on local network to a macos user in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I used this method with SMB access, using Windows 10's folder credentians (which is really stupid, why would I be giving my admin's profile... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/triedgetech, May 15, 2020.

1. Give access to my public folder only on local network to a macos user

I used this method with SMB access, using Windows 10's folder credentians (which is really stupid, why would I be giving my admin's profile credentials?)

Then of course the client on Macos was able to access both my public profile and my userprofile, having r/w access too.

How do I allow client with MacOS to only access my public folder on my Windows 10 pc.

Windows 10 and macos client have local network connection.

submitted by /u/triedgetech
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/triedgetech, May 15, 2020

2. Network showing as public

Hi Connor,

By default, the public network location type is assigned to any new networks when they are first connected. A public network is considered to be shared with the world, with no protection between the local computer and any other computer. Therefore,
    the Windows Firewall rules associated with the public profile are the most restrictive.

To change settings from public to private, follow the steps below:

• Open the Locale Security Policy.
    • In the left pane, click/tap on Network List Manager Policies.
    • In the right pane of Network List Manager Policies, double click/tap on your network name
    • Click/tap on the Network Location tab.
    • Under Location type, select Private.
    • Under User permissions, select (dot) User cannot change location.
    • Click/tap on OK, and close Local Security Policy.

Note: You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to change the network location of a network adapter.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Martin Bar, May 15, 2020
  3. Kari Win User
    Local Acct user and MS account user - sync them or merge them

If the local account is the one where you have most of your personal data, this is how I would do it:

• Sign in to your Microsoft account
    • Copy all documents, pictures and other personal data from Microsoft account's user folders to corresponding folders in user Public (contents of MS account Documents folder to Public Documents folder and so on)
    • Sign out from Microsoft account
    Notice that above steps are only required if Microsoft account user folders contain data you want to keep. If its user folders are empty or do not contain anything worth saving, you can skip the above steps. Continue from below.

• Sign in to the local account
    • Delete the Microsoft account (Option One in this tutorial)
    • Switch your local account to a Microsoft account (tutorial)
    • Copy the data backed up from old Microsoft account to Public folders to new Microsoft account in corresponding folders

That's it. Using the Public folders as temporary storage you will have none whatsoever file owner / permission issues later on.

4. Frogger Win User

Give access to my public folder only on local network to a macos user

?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile Give access to my public folder only on local network to a macos user :)

Frogger, May 15, 2020
Thema:

Give access to my public folder only on local network to a macos user

1. Give access to my public folder only on local network to a macos user - Similar Threads - access public folder

2. Can't access the "public" folder of another computer connected to my local network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access the "public" folder of another computer connected to my local network: Hi,I am trying to access the ‘public’ folder located in C:\Users in computer H from another computer computer A connected to my local network. But I can’t access it because Windows is asking me for a username and password.I thought the ‘public’ folder was designed by...
  3. Can't access the "public" folder of another computer connected to my local network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access the "public" folder of another computer connected to my local network: Hi,I am trying to access the ‘public’ folder located in C:\Users in computer H from another computer computer A connected to my local network. But I can’t access it because Windows is asking me for a username and password.I thought the ‘public’ folder was designed by...
  4. Can't access the "public" folder of another computer connected to my local network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Wifi will connect to a local public network but not to my home network.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi will connect to a local public network but not to my home network.: My PC will connect to a local public network but not my home network, all my other devices will connect to my home network without issue. I have tried everything I can think of to try and fix the problem, I have reset my home network multiple times, I have reset and updated...
  6. Wifi will connect to a local public network but not to my home network.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi will connect to a local public network but not to my home network.: My PC will connect to a local public network but not my home network, all my other devices will connect to my home network without issue. I have tried everything I can think of to try and fix the problem, I have reset my home network multiple times, I have reset and updated...
  7. Wifi will connect to a local public network but not to my home network.

8. Missing user folder ... PUBLIC only

Missing user folder ... PUBLIC only: Home network shows 2 folders for EMATIC computer. Owner and Public. However, only PUBLIC shows whenever accessed by other machines. Has worked properly in the past. Advanced sharing shows 'everything' turned on except Password. The PUBLIC folder behaves normally. Only...
  9. Give access to specific apps for Local User

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Give access to specific apps for Local User: I'm the admin on my PC, but have my kids' accounts as Local accounts on the same machine: [img] When my kids log in, I'd like them to be able to launch and access only specific apps that I have installed and working for my account (e.g., IrfanView, Minecraft, Affinity...
  10. April Update Public User and Controlled Folder Access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    April Update Public User and Controlled Folder Access: Since installing the April Update I'm having a problem with the Public User on my system. I have four users - an administrative user, a standard user, the default user, and the public user. I generally use the public user for information that I would like to access from...