Windows 10: Go from Home to Pro?

Discus and support Go from Home to Pro? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Is it possible to upgrade a Windows 10 Home System to Pro without loosing all the installed software and customization? I like W10 OK but just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JJG10, Apr 11, 2017.

1. JJG10 Win User

Go from Home to Pro?

Is it possible to upgrade a Windows 10 Home System to Pro without loosing all the installed software and customization?

I like W10 OK but just absolutely detest the the Update scheme of Windows Home and understand I can defer updates for a long time under Pro. I am willing to pay the cost of Pro but am not willing to reinstall everything. I know that is a hard nosed position but that is the way it is.

Thank you.

:)

JJG10, Apr 11, 2017

2. Go back to Windows 10 Home from Windows 10 Home Insider Preview

That would be the DISM commands from
    Windows 10 Upgrade Performance Troubleshooting - Basics - Microsoft Community
    which pause at 20% during scan. So it sounds like he was doing typical troubleshooting. However I cannot imagine how he switched you to Insider build unless he had just been
    briefed that is a way to activate with the new build those Upgrades refusing the activate. Any chance yours wasn't activated?

I'm not sure there's a way to get out of the Insider build by Going Back to Previous Build in Recovery settings, although since permanently activated you can always

Clean Install Windows 10.

Let's wait to see what they suggest.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Apr 11, 2017
  3. TakseerH Win User
    Go back to Windows 10 Home from Windows 10 Home Insider Preview

The Insider Preview Builds is apparently on.

There's an option to stop the insider preview builds. I don't know if that would take it back to windows 10 home or not.

I can do a clean installation of windows 10 using the windows 10 upgrade media tool. However, when I get to "where to keep" windows, three options are provided. 1) Keep personal files and apps. 2) Keep personal files only. 3) Keep nothing.

And the only option that I can choose is the 3rd option. I can't select either 1 or 2.

I have many licensed apps on my laptop, and I really don't want to restore it to factory settings. This will be costly and time consuming, and all of this happened because a Microsoft support tech changed the edition without permission.

TakseerH, Apr 11, 2017
  4. bobkn Win User

Go from Home to Pro?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ng-home-to-pro

Choose "Upgrade using a Windows 10 Pro product key".

You shouldn't have to re-install anything.

I have never done it, but if it's like the last couple of Windows version, the upgrade may not require any downloads or a Windows install medium. I believe that al the components are already installed, awaiting activation when the license is upgraded.

bobkn, Apr 11, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 11, 2017
  6. pparks1 Win User
    As far as security updates and such goes, even with Pro you can only defer for around 1 month. Just want to make sure you know that you cannot defer for very long periods of time.

pparks1, Apr 11, 2017
  7. I've done it several times. I just go to the system page, click change product key, and enter my pro key. Upgrades to pro and keeps everything. Actually all it does is unlock/install the pro features for use.

alphanumeric, Apr 11, 2017
  8. Go from Home to Pro?

This. I do/did the exact same thing on two machines in the last three months. Just entered a Win7 pro key, and boom, Win10 Pro.

Bobby Phoenix, Apr 12, 2017
  9. JJG10 Win User
    Thanks to all who replied. That just seems too simple and thankfully it was.

JJG10, Apr 12, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Glad we could help. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Go from Home to Pro?

1. Go from Home to Pro? - Similar Threads - Home Pro

2. How do I update and activate Windows 11 Pro on a Windows 11 Home?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I update and activate Windows 11 Pro on a Windows 11 Home?: My old computer has a digital Windows 11 Pro license installed.I've recently acquired a new computer which came with Windows 10 Home already installed, which was then updated to Windows 11 Home.When I try to use my old key to activate it, it says the current OS is not...
  3. How do I update and activate Windows 11 Pro on a Windows 11 Home?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I update and activate Windows 11 Pro on a Windows 11 Home?: My old computer has a digital Windows 11 Pro license installed.I've recently acquired a new computer which came with Windows 10 Home already installed, which was then updated to Windows 11 Home.When I try to use my old key to activate it, it says the current OS is not...
  4. Windows 10 Home Single language to Windows 10 Home or Pro multilanguage upgrade without...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Home Single language to Windows 10 Home or Pro multilanguage upgrade without...: Hello. I need to change Windows 10 Home Single language to Windows 10 Home multi language upgrade without reinstall? Can i do it with Windows 10 Home product key? Also, can i upgrade it to Windows 10 Pro version with Windows 11 Pro product key?...
  5. Windows 10 Home Single language to Windows 10 Home or Pro multilanguage upgrade without...

Windows 10 Home Single language to Windows 10 Home or Pro multilanguage upgrade without...: Hello. I need to change Windows 10 Home Single language to Windows 10 Home multi language upgrade without reinstall? Can i do it with Windows 10 Home product key? Also, can i upgrade it to Windows 10 Pro version with Windows 11 Pro product key?...
  6. Windows 10 Home Single language to Windows 10 Home or Pro multilanguage upgrade without...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. key not recognize during windows 11upgrade from home to pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    key not recognize during windows 11upgrade from home to pro: key not recognize during windows 11 upgrade from home to pro ShowKeyPlus application show win10 RTM Professional Retail Retail:WAU:101;99;100 Key purchase from Best Buy Canada Microsoft Windows pro Pack 11 64-bit Bilingual Product Upgrade [Downloads ] Windows...
  8. key not recognize during windows 11upgrade from home to pro

key not recognize during windows 11upgrade from home to pro: key not recognize during windows 11 upgrade from home to pro ShowKeyPlus application show win10 RTM Professional Retail Retail:WAU:101;99;100 Key purchase from Best Buy Canada Microsoft Windows pro Pack 11 64-bit Bilingual Product Upgrade [Downloads ] Windows...
  9. key not recognize during windows 11 upgrade from home to pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    key not recognize during windows 11 upgrade from home to pro: key not recognize during windows 11 upgrade from home to pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/key-not-recognize-during-windows-11-upgrade-from/d6632b51-e96c-482d-9bda-a03667055253
  10. key not recognize during windows 11 upgrade from home to pro

key not recognize during windows 11 upgrade from home to pro: key not recognize during windows 11 upgrade from home to pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/key-not-recognize-during-windows-11-upgrade-from/d6632b51-e96c-482d-9bda-a03667055253