Windows 10: Graphics card crashing, nothing in Event Viewer

Discus and support Graphics card crashing, nothing in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Since 3 days ago I have been experiencing intermittent video card crashes/oddities. Sometimes the display goes black, sometimes it displays a weird... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by herrshaun, Sep 16, 2017.

1. herrshaun Win User

Graphics card crashing, nothing in Event Viewer

Since 3 days ago I have been experiencing intermittent video card crashes/oddities. Sometimes the display goes black, sometimes it displays a weird pattern. The audio also stutters rapidly, like what happens with a BSOD, but then goes silent after about 4 or 5 seconds. At this point, the computer becomes completely non-responsive and I must reboot.

Sometimes after rebooting from a crash, the screen goes black whenever I try to open certain windows (alt-tabbing brings the display back until I switch back to it).

This has mostly happened while playing intensive PC games, but being on Skype video chat has also caused it to act up.

I have tried:
    • Making sure the fans are spinning (they are)
    • Updating to the latest graphics drivers
    • Blowing my fans and case clean
    • Testing my RAM (it caused problems like this before)
    • Setting my graphics card fans to 100% duty

As I said in the title, Event Viewer shows no errors or anything, so I know it's not a BSOD.

I want to use my computer but I'm scared to. Please help Tenforums!

:)

herrshaun, Sep 16, 2017

2. can't start CSGO with build 14352

Hello,

This game just crashed with nothing showed up, and I have do nothing with my graphic card drive.

Also I tried csgo on my friend's PC today, it worked very well.

Also I have asked this question on Tieba and Reddit, they told me nothing wrong.

What I should do next?

lIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII, Sep 16, 2017
  3. Intermittent BLACK SCREEN On monitor happens once then display is frozen on black screen!

Have you checked the event viewer? Open even viewer go to Windows logs and check system. Look for anything graphics related. How are your temps for the video card?

MikeSnyder61704, Sep 16, 2017
  4. Psychocyr Win User

What video card are you using? Nvidia or AMD? Also if you can post which drivers you are currently using for your video card. This would give a better indication as to what direction we need to go to try to resolve the issue.

Psychocyr, Sep 18, 2017
  5. herrshaun Win User
    I am using an AMD R7 250x. If you need to know more info, I have attached a DxDiag dump.

I am using a slightly less recent driver because of an Overwatch bug the new ones have. However, even when I had the newest drivers, this also happened.

herrshaun, Sep 21, 2017
  6. herrshaun Win User
    It seems the problem does not have to do with overheating, as it happened a couple of times at a safe temperature.

Downclocking my card also didn't help.

Any other suggestions?

herrshaun, Sep 24, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
    VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED
    This is the DM log collector that is used in the BSOD forum. It will collect msinfo32, dxdiag, event log, etc.
    Please post a zip into the thread.

zbook, Sep 29, 2017
  8. herrshaun Win User

Thank you for responding zbook. Here is the ZIP you asked for.

herrshaun, Sep 29, 2017
  9. zbook New Member
    Post #5 displayed bugcheck 141 VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED
    The logs displayed problems with crashes.
    The crashes were not properly producing BSOD and this needs to be troubleshooted.
    Problems with the drive were noted in the event log.

Perform the following steps:

1) Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    2) sfc /scannow
    3) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    4) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread

5) Open administrative powershell and type or copy and paste:
    6) Get-PhysicalDisk | Select -Prop DeviceId,FriendlyName,SerialNumber
    7) Get-Partition | Format-List > $home\Desktop\partitions.txt
    8) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread
    9) Post a share link for the txt file into the thread using one drive or drop box

10) Run HDTune on your drives:
    http://www.hdtune.com/
    to check the health,
    scan for errors, no quick scan but full scan
    run a benchmark.

It may take some time, but please take the time you need to perform it properly.
    When above is done please make screenshots of the following
    the health,
    the error scan,
    the benchmark incl. following
    transfer rate,
    access time,
    burst rate,
    cpu usage.
    Take Screenshot in Windows 10 Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

11) Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste:
    chkdsk /x /f /r
    (This may take many hours so plan to run overnight)
    12) Post the chkdsk results into the thread using the information in this link:
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

13) In the left lower corner search type: system > open system control panel > on the left pane click advanced system settings > in startup and recovery click settings > post an image into the thread

14) After posting the image into the thread please make the following changes
    a) system failure > un-check automatic restart
    b) write debugging information change to automatic memory dump
    c) change dump file to %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP

15) Download and install Whocrashed
    Resplendence Software - WhoCrashed, automatic crash dump analyzer
    16) Above analyze click on tools > crash dump test > type: ACCEPT
    17) click analyze
    18) post the whocrashed analyze results into the thread
    19) post a new zip after the whocrashed steps above
    BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums

20) read these links on Windows driver verifier:
    Driver Verifier-- tracking down a mis-behaving driver. - Microsoft Community
    Enable and Disable Driver Verifier in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

21) Turn off windows fast startup:
    Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

22) Run Sea tools for windows on your drives using SMART, short and long generic tests:

How to use SeaTools for Windows
    http://www.seagate.com/support/downl...ls-win-master/
    How to use SeaTools for Windows
    http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/
    Take Screenshot in Windows 10 Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

Code: Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC00000D4.[/quote] Code: The IO operation at logical block address 0x2aef3990 for Disk 1 (PDO name: \Device\00000030) failed due to a hardware error.[/quote] Code: Crash dump initialization failed![/quote] Code: Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.[/quote] Code: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.[/quote] Code: Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.[/quote] Code: amdkmdap amdkmdap c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\c0316467.inf_amd64_3d8fbd78102e53d7\atikmpag.sys Kernel Driver Yes Manual Running OK Ignore No Yes[/quote] Code: Name ASUS R7 250X SeriesPNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_683D&SUBSYS_300B1043&REV_00\4&14E8F4CB&0&0010Adapter Type AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x683D), Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. compatibleAdapter Description ASUS R7 250X SeriesAdapter RAM (2,147,483,648) bytesInstalled Drivers aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,amdxc64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,amdxc32,atiumd64,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64Driver Version 22.19.662.4INF File oem7.inf (ati2mtag_R575ADS section)Color Planes Not AvailableColor Table Entries 4294967296Resolution 1280 x 1024 x 60 hertzBits/Pixel 32Memory Address 0xC0000000-0xFFFFFFFFMemory Address 0xFEA00000-0xFEA3FFFFI/O Port 0x0000E000-0x0000E0FFIRQ Channel IRQ 4294967294I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003DFI/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DFMemory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFFDriver c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\c0316467.inf_amd64_3d8fbd78102e53d7\atikmpag.sys (22.19.662.4, 536.91 KB (549,800 bytes), 7/26/2017 7:05 PM)[/quote]

zbook, Sep 29, 2017
  10. herrshaun Win User
    Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.15063](c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannowBeginning system scan. This process will take some time.Beginning verification phase of system scan.Verification 100% complete.Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repairedthem. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Forexample C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently notsupported in offline servicing scenarios.C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealthDeployment Image Servicing and Management toolVersion: 10.0.15063.0Image Version: 10.0.15063.0[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.The operation completed successfully.

It says it found corrupted files and fixed them. Should I try playing a game or something to see if it worked?

herrshaun, Sep 29, 2017
  11. herrshaun Win User
    Windows PowerShellCopyright (C) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-PhysicalDisk | Select -Prop DeviceId,FriendlyName,SerialNumberDeviceId FriendlyName SerialNumber-------- ------------ ------------1 WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 WD-WCC4N2KR38YJ0 WDC WD3200AAJS-65VWA0 WD-WCARW3898729PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-Partition | Format-List > $home\Desktop\partitions.txtPS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

herrshaun, Sep 29, 2017
  12. herrshaun Win User
    Graphics card crashing, nothing in Event Viewer [​IMG]

herrshaun, Sep 29, 2017
  13. zbook New Member

Scannow found operating system corruption and was able to fix it.
    Run hd tune and chkdsk /x /f /r on all drives.

Please update the system specs in the "My Computer" section:

How To Fill Out Your System Specs
    How To Fill Out Your System Specs
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums:
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials
    In the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'.
    After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs.
    System Info - See Your System Specs - Windows 7 Help Forums

Please include PSU, cooler, case, peripherals and anything attached to the computer by wireless or wired (mouse, keyboard, printer, headset, xbox, etc.)

zbook, Sep 30, 2017
  14. herrshaun Win User
    HD tune screenshots are in my previous post. Here is the result of my chkdsk /x /f /r:

Checking file system on C:The type of the file system is NTFS.A disk check has been scheduled.Windows will now check the disk. Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ... 353280 file records processed. File verification completed. 11975 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ... 439848 index entries processed. Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found. Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...Cleaning up 2965 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.Cleaning up 2965 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.Cleaning up 2965 unused security descriptors.Security descriptor verification completed. 43285 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 34767736 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed.Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ... 353264 files processed. File data verification completed.Stage 5: Looking for bad, free clusters ... 16583412 free clusters processed. Free space verification is complete.Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.No further action is required. 101358591 KB total disk space. 34440772 KB in 149110 files. 118552 KB in 43286 indexes. 0 KB in bad sectors. 465615 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 66333652 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 25339647 total allocation units on disk. 16583413 allocation units available on disk.Internal Info:00 64 05 00 84 ef 02 00 41 9d 05 00 00 00 00 00 .d......A.......c3 00 00 00 15 5b 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 .....[..........Windows has finished checking your disk.Please wait while your computer restarts.

herrshaun, Sep 30, 2017
  15. zbook New Member
    Model WDC WD3200AAJS-65VWA0
    Model WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0
    The testing may take longer on the larger drive and this can be run overnight.

zbook, Sep 30, 2017
Thema:

1. Graphics card crashing, nothing in Event Viewer - Similar Threads - Graphics card crashing

2. Graphics card crashing?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Graphics card crashing?: Hello, So I've come here today to try and figure out what's going with my computer, I have installed several games onto my computer and some of them decide they want to crash and not appear. Whenever I run these games most of the times I am using steam, when I launch the game...
  3. Graphics card crashing?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Graphics card crashing?: Hello, So I've come here today to try and figure out what's going with my computer, I have installed several games onto my computer and some of them decide they want to crash and not appear. Whenever I run these games most of the times I am using steam, when I launch the game...
  4. Graphics card crashing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. FSX Crashes Event Viewer

FSX Crashes Event Viewer: Greetings,Yesterday I wrote to you about problems with FSX SP2 that I have installed on my PC with Windows 10 64 bit.There are times when FSX doesn't boot up or if it does then it crashes in flight. I checked the event viewer and saw these errors:fsx.exe 10.0.61472.0...
  6. Graphics Card Crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Graphics Card Crash: It made this dump -https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EhO5tAn9wYtkh5NPu5CC9B4OrTfAzno9/view?usp=sharing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/graphics-card-crash/9ccf873f-89a6-44f7-81e9-ee97a39408ce
  7. Graphics Card Crash

Graphics Card Crash: It made this dump -https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EhO5tAn9wYtkh5NPu5CC9B4OrTfAzno9/view?usp=sharing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/graphics-card-crash/9ccf873f-89a6-44f7-81e9-ee97a39408ce
  8. Graphics Card Crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. graphics card crashing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    graphics card crashing: Hello for awhile now I've noticed that my computer will sometimes go into a grey screen and then come back to my desktop but on some occasions it completely freezes up my computer to the point where I have to restart it physically. this is the error I get: "Display driver...
  10. Nothing in Event Viewer

in Windows 10 Support
    Nothing in Event Viewer: Hello, My computer crashes at random times (e.g., while watching Netflix, etc.) at infrequent intervals. However, I am able to get my computer to consistently crash while playing Max Payne 3 every few minutes. The non-Max Payne 3 crashes happen infrequently at random...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. graphics crash in event viewer