Windows 10: Hard Disk Drive external all of the sudden not reading on Surface book Pro 6

Discus and support Hard Disk Drive external all of the sudden not reading on Surface book Pro 6 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Computer = surface Book Pro Hard Disk Drive: WD Western Digital My Passport Ultra It seems that many are having this problem and didn't even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DannyDZimmermann, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Hard Disk Drive external all of the sudden not reading on Surface book Pro 6

Computer = surface Book Pro

Hard Disk Drive: WD Western Digital My Passport Ultra

It seems that many are having this problem and didn't even realize this was a thing CLEARLY otherwise I would've had taken my data off drive.

My drive once plugged in make a sound as if it is trying to wind up and slows, unsure if it is even spinning however after a couple of those sounds very low - with NO beeps it stops making those low level sounds and the light maintains lit and on!

Went into the computer management and then into disk management.

There it shows up under

Disk 0

Basic

238.35GB

Online.

Along with three partitions.

Disk 1

Unknown

Not initialized

I have done plenty and at this point looking what this means.

-Looked at drivers and updated them

-Disabled drivers and scanned for changes

-Even went into Power management in the UEFI so the computers fast -start up wasn't messing with the USB power.

-Unchecked the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" inside the USB controller and USB Root Hub.

-I have a WD My passport not ultra Similar USB 3.0 connection and the Cable works for that Drive and that Drive shows up. Cable is working- both of them.

I have not attached this to another windows but if it doesn't show up on another Windows computer please advise what this could mean and steps i would have to take considering under a month ago it was.

:)

DannyDZimmermann, Jan 22, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

Updates for Surface Pro and Surface Book - Feb. 13

Source: Updates for Surface Pro and Surface Book (13 February 2018) Surface

See also:

Brink, Jan 22, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Updates for Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 - April 5th 2017

Source: Updates for Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 (05 April 2017) Surface

See also:

Brink, Jan 22, 2020
  4. twynog Win User

Hard Disk Drive external all of the sudden not reading on Surface book Pro 6

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Jan 22, 2020
Thema:

Hard Disk Drive external all of the sudden not reading on Surface book Pro 6

1. Hard Disk Drive external all of the sudden not reading on Surface book Pro 6 - Similar Threads - Hard Disk Drive

2. surface pro 6 - two external monitors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    surface pro 6 - two external monitors: I am using a surface pro 6 - connected to a docking station 2 - several years lately having trouble recognizing both monitors - many attempts and then successful - the last two days - only recognizing one external monitor - - notification - "display maybe limited" - happend...
  3. surface pro 6 - two external monitors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    surface pro 6 - two external monitors: I am using a surface pro 6 - connected to a docking station 2 - several years lately having trouble recognizing both monitors - many attempts and then successful - the last two days - only recognizing one external monitor - - notification - "display maybe limited" - happend...
  4. surface pro 6 - two external monitors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Can’t read external hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can’t read external hard drive: Hey guys so i have an external hardrive that i use for my mac and has about 700gb of data. I need to transfer a 30gb file from my mac to windows with the external, but when i insert the drive into my pc, it gives the sound that a usb has been inserted but i can’t see the...
  6. Reading External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reading External Hard Drive: How do I open the files on my external hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reading-external-hard-drive/54ea6c70-619c-40b0-bd81-d9778007ec97
  7. External Hard Drive Only Reads as "Local Disk"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Hard Drive Only Reads as "Local Disk": Hello, I was able to fix one of my hard drives with a simple step, hopefully, I can fix another! I have a WD Easystore HDD that has a lot of good graphic design material I can't lose. However, when I plug it in, the File Folder freezes up, and Disk Management hasn't loaded...
  8. External Hard drive disk

External Hard drive disk: Shown as access denied. Location unavailable[IMG] Cannot open my Seagate external HARD drive disk of 1.5TB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-disk/d12073f2-eb0d-4add-bfb1-2f9e4cff21de
  9. 2018 Surface Pro not working with external hard drives

2018 Surface Pro not working with external hard drives: Hi there So problem is I bought a surface pro with Windows 10. Had a brand new WD 4TB hard drive that just stopped working as it was started to be recognized as a Local Disk. So I tried all the fixes these threads could tell me with no luck. So I purchased a Toshiba 2TB...
  10. Unable to read external Hard Drive

Unable to read external Hard Drive: I have Windows 10. I am trying to retrieve data from a Western Digital hard drive which has worked on this system in the past. I now find that the system is unable to recognise the drive and I get a message "incorrect parameter" Some help would be apreciated. Regards...