Windows 10: HAYELP! HAYELP! Issues with UEFI Win7 install

Discus and support HAYELP! HAYELP! Issues with UEFI Win7 install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I got a new PC for Christmas, Dell XPS8900 i7-6700 processor with 16GB of RAM 1TB HDD with Win10 installed. I had it setup and ready to go, turned it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RKg, Jan 6, 2016.

1. RKG
    RKg Win User

HAYELP! HAYELP! Issues with UEFI Win7 install

I got a new PC for Christmas, Dell XPS8900 i7-6700 processor with 16GB of RAM 1TB HDD with Win10 installed.
    I had it setup and ready to go, turned it on and kept getting BSOD's every 5 or 10 minutes... this is straight from the factory. I called Dell, they sent a tech, he switched out my HDD with a fresh copy of Win10. 2 days in, only 1 BSOD so far...

Obviously I am not comfortable having this as my primary OS, so I went out and bought a 2TB HDD with the intentions of dualbooting Win7 on my new machine. Installed the new HDD, booted into Win10 and initialized the new HDD GPT. I then booted into UEFI and disabled SecureBoot, created a bootable USB stick with OEM Win7 Home Premium disk image, stuck it in one of my USB 2.0 slots, rebooted, hit F12 for bootmenu, selected UEFI: SanDisk Cruzer Glide 1.26 (USB with bootable ISO on it) and get this...

HAYELP! HAYELP! Issues with UEFI Win7 install [​IMG]

If I try booting from the OEM Win7 Home Premium disk I get the "Press the any key button to boot from CD..." message and then automatically starts running diagnostics. Can someone please help me figure out how to dualboot an UEFI copy of Win7 to my brand new HDD on my brand new computer, this is driving me mad. Thanks

:)

2. kjl1956 Win User

Temporary Hide OS Partition

Some things to consider; type of bios- uefi or legacy or both, hard drive partition scheme-mbr or gpt.

Clone the win7 drive so if there is an issue with win10 and the win7 drive connected at the same time

you have some insurance; test the cloned drive.

The win10 install on fresh ssd; is this a full retail, oem, or upgrade from win7 ?

What win7 is installed, oem or retail ?

Hiding, deleting the win7 partition ( current boot ) may make the entire drive unusable because it

contains the drives boot layout information.

If the pc has uefi it supports drives above the 2tb os bootable from win8.1.

Remove win7 drive from pc, install ssd, install win10, get the os to current build.

Reconnect win7 drive, go into bios, make sure win 10 boot loader is first option,

then the physical drive windows is installed on, than other boot options;

if this is not done, win7 could still boot and the next win10 boot will find

corrupted data on the win7 drive.

Easybcd is a good program for modifying the boot loader.

kjl1956, Jan 6, 2016
  3. kjl1956 Win User
    Accidental deletion of UEFI partition

On my uefi bios there is an option to set it to load the bios configuration in legacy or uefi.

This also lets me choose how hardware is loaded and if both uefi, legacy or both load and the order.

What your issue here could be that the win7 disk is loading in the format that looks for the uefi partition on the hard drive because it was a uefi bios on win7.

Now this may not be true because win8 was the first native os that supported uefi bios, even though win7 could be installed on uefi bios under 2tb hard drives the drive format had to be mbr.

Another thing to look into is if your bios has a boot save order option that it is reverting back to even though you set the devices in a different order.

There is a program called disk part, it is a small iso base on linux that can check drive partition and status.,it can be run from the cd with no installation needed.

Being that the hard drive partition was deleted but attempted to be fixed could have caused more

effects because now the underlying data may have been recovered with 3rd party tools.

What is the size of the hard drive ?

Not being able to load the win7 disk or win10 disk sounds more like a corrupted bios or bios configuration.

Win10 has a habit of reporting incorrect information to the bios.

Pull the win10 backup hard drive and try to boot the pc with win7 or win10 disk.

What this would confirm is if it is something besides the win10 installton.

Being that there is an image of win10 and the other steps do not work; connect the drive with the backup on it, try to boot from the win7 or 10 dvd disk and run the restore from there.

Would be a good option to copy that backup first to another drive before hand.

The only other option is to delete all partitions on the win10 drive using another pc or gparted and start fresh.

On the drive connecting and disappearing, that could be a power management setting that the pc time out is set too low.

kjl1956, Jan 6, 2016
  4. RKG
    RKg Win User
    Thanks alphanumeric, but I just came from 2 of those pages and that's why I'm posting here, the 3rd is for installing Win10 on a Win7 machine, and I'm doing the opposite. I've done everything the other 2 pages instruct already, I actually used more detailed instructions from the sites below. Is there any setting I should check, anything else that may be causing error 00xc000000d?

Redirect
    Windows 7 Installation with Notes on UEFI and SecureBoot | The Unofficial Windows 10 Reinstallation Guide

5. I'd want to fix the BSOD first. That's usually a driver issue. I don't know what is causing the other issue in your screen shot. In a dual boot, normally you install the older OS first, Windows 7 then Windows 10. You can do it the other way around, it just makes it more complicated.

alphanumeric, Jan 6, 2016
  6. RKG
    RKg Win User
    The problem is that I didn't get a recovery disk from Dell if I wanted to do it that way.

7. NavyLCDR New Member

1. You can (and should) make a Windows 10 recovery disk from within Windows 10. You can also make a recovery disk by downloading a Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft.
    Recovery Drive - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

2. You can (and should) export all the Dell drivers on your computer by running the following command from an elevated ("run as administrator") command prompt in Windows 10:
    DISM.exe /online /Export-Driver /Destination:C:\destpath

the path in red would be where you want the driver files stored to.

NavyLCDR, Jan 7, 2016
  8. RKG
    RKg Win User
    I'll do that, and I appreciate the advice, but once I've done that do you suggest I do what alphanumeric suggested above? If so how would I go about that? Removing my original HDD and trying to install that way? Can anybody help me with my actual problem?

9. NavyLCDR New Member
    First, you stated in your OP that you "created a bootable USB stick with OEM Win7 Home Premium disk image, stuck it in one of my USB 2.0 slots, rebooted, hit F12 for bootmenu, selected UEFI: SanDisk Cruzer Glide 1.26 (USB with bootable ISO on it) and get this..."

The first question is what method did you use to create the USB stick and are you sure it supports UEFI booting? If you have the Windows 7 ISO, I recommend option 2 here:
    USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    It's the same procedure, just use the Windows 7 ISO instead of Windows 10 ISO.

You will have to figure out why your Windows 7 USB won't boot into setup with the UEFI option first, once you have the solved, I would connect only the HDD you want to contain Windows 7 and Windows 10.

Boot the Windows 7 USB with UEFI into Windows 7. Press Shift+F10 to get a command prompt. Then do option 2 here:
    Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk - Windows 7 Help Forums
    Stop after step 10 so you are left with an unallocated GPT disk.

Continue with a custom install of Windows 7, selecting the unallocated disk to install to.

Once you get Windows 7 installed and running, install MiniTool Partition Wizard Free and use that to shrink the Windows 7 partition and create a new, primary, NTFS formatted partition to hold Windows 10. Then you will boot the Windows 10 setup USB with UEFI, select custom install, point it to the blank NTFS formatted partition to install to and that should automatically set up dual booting with Windows 7.

NavyLCDR, Jan 7, 2016
  10. cereberus Win User
    I would be inclined to partition unallocated drive into two partitions first before installing windows 7 rather than shrinking later as that avoids the issue of only being able to shrink windows 7 partition by a certain amount due to unmoveable files.

cereberus, Jan 7, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    There are no unmoveable files when using MiniTool Partition Wizard, you can shrink any partition down to within a few MBs of the used space. You install the first OS to unallocated space so that it makes the system reserved and recovery partitions.

NavyLCDR, Jan 7, 2016
  12. cereberus Win User

Thanks. That is worth knowing about Minitool.

cereberus, Jan 7, 2016
  13. RolandJS Win User
    Doesn't UEFI have to set to Legacy? And, Secure Boot turned off?

RolandJS, Jan 7, 2016
  14. RKG
    RKg Win User
    Well, yes, I could - but what I want is a UEFI install of Win7, not a legacy install.

And I want both OS' on different drives, I specifically want 7 installed on a separate HDD.

Thema:

1. HAYELP! HAYELP! Issues with UEFI Win7 install - Similar Threads - HAYELP HAYELP Issues

2. UEFI Boot Issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    UEFI Boot Issue: Heyo: I have an issue with a Dell Inspiron 5767. Basically, I had a BIOS update and now the computer isn't booting to the OS. Upon restart , it loads to automatic repair. The only thing I did was the Dell assistant upgraded the BIOS to 1.2.8. it said it successfully...
  3. How install win7

in Windows 10 Customization
    How install win7: How to change bios on an HP ProDesk 400 desktop computer The computer supports Win 10 operating system so we can install Windows 7 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-install-win7/c100b2fa-0cdd-4e6a-befd-013359b1dd7a
  4. Install with UEFI or not?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install with UEFI or not?: Hi there, I'm building a Win10 system on an Intel NUC6i3syk. I'm planning to follow Brink's tutorial to create a USB stick for installation of Win10 Home (I purchased an OEM DVD for the license.) I'm not sure about UEFI, what is it, should I use it, etc.? Is there a page...
  5. Win7 Installation Issue on broken Win10 System. (Lenovo Notebook)

Win7 Installation Issue on broken Win10 System. (Lenovo Notebook): The situation: Expired Win10 Indsider upgrade installation, no longer booting (winload.exe / 0x0000605) Attempted solution: Reinstalling Win7 from DVD Problem: Win10 ignores the boot sequence, always boots from HDD. Changed boot sequence to select DVD ROM and tried from...
  6. MBR/UEFI issues

MBR/UEFI issues: My motherboard is UEFI compliant, however it was set up in MBR mode, I'm now receiving messages from Microsoft saying my PC will not be updated after 10 April because it is not set up in UEFI mode. I understand that to set up in UEFI mode all data on HD will be lost. I...
  7. BIOS and UEFI issue

BIOS and UEFI issue: I have a brand new Asus K555 laptop running core i5 5th gen. But though it is new, it seems to be running BIOS. It is old fashioned cursor less one. But it supports secure boot, GPT disk and it boots in CSM mode. So I think I can install UEFI. Please advise. Thank you 38752
  8. UEFI installation on non-UEFI system

UEFI installation on non-UEFI system: Hi there, I wanted to boot an existing Windows 10 install taken from a UEFI notebook into an older non-UEFI notebook and I only get a flashing cursor. Booted with an installation media and the automatic startup repair did not work. Browsing online I tried re-creating the...
  9. UEFI boot issues

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI boot issues: Hi Everyone i recently wiped my PC and reinstalled the most recent ISO from Microsoft, i changed from MBR to UEFI and i'm experiencing a few issues 1. turn pc on without monitor / pc on it turns on and posts but the screens are blank when i power my monitor on 2. if my...
  10. win7 install

in Windows 10 Support
    win7 install: Tried to install win7 on a new hdd but MS claims product code invalid, still have the original box that win7 came in. Have been using win10 for the biggest part of the year---what gives,. Is it after using win10 for a while MS no longer recognizes win 7? 56641