Windows 10: Help Decrypting EFS encrypted files without the backup certificate/private key

Discus and support Help Decrypting EFS encrypted files without the backup certificate/private key in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I had a windows 7 laptop in which I had stored all the photographs EFS encrypted, without really knowing how it helps or otherwise. I stored these... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sameerg66, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Sameerg66 Win User

Help Decrypting EFS encrypted files without the backup certificate/private key

I had a windows 7 laptop in which I had stored all the photographs EFS encrypted, without really knowing how it helps or otherwise. I stored these important files in an external hard disk. Subsequently, the laptop stopped working and I have trashed it and bought a new laptop which is Windows 10. When I connect my new laptop to external hard drive, I am unable to see these encrypted files. I just see locked signs on those file folders. Can I retrieve these files.

:)

Sameerg66, Feb 22, 2019
  2. desk77 Win User

Backup the EFS encryption key file

My IT support staff told me that it doesn't depend on them. So why did those message start to appear?
    Anyway, do you think I should make a copy of certificates on a external storage or try to decrypt all files?

desk77, Feb 22, 2019
  3. PolarNettles, Feb 22, 2019
  4. Help Decrypting EFS encrypted files without the backup certificate/private key

Windows 10 Encryption/Decryption of Folders/Files 'Certificate'

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

To understand the issue better, I suggest you to answer the below question.

• Were you able to Encrypt the data?
    • Did you get any error message?
    • What exact issue are you facing with Encryption and Decryption?
    Note: The first time you encrypt a folder or file, an encryption certificate is automatically created. You should back up your encryption certificate.
    If your certificate and key are lost or damaged and you don't have a backup,
    you won't be able to use the files that you have encrypted.

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Feb 22, 2019
Thema:

Help Decrypting EFS encrypted files without the backup certificate/private key

1. Help Decrypting EFS encrypted files without the backup certificate/private key - Similar Threads - Help Decrypting EFS

2. Decrypting EFS encrypted USB Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Decrypting EFS encrypted USB Drive: Dear All,Greetings of the day!I have encrypted a usb drive with EFS, then formatted the PC and reinstalled windows, now when I enter the USB I cannot decrypt its content because I did not backup the certificate, is it possible to recover the certificate using recovery...
  3. EFS Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key on BitLocker enabled computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    EFS Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key on BitLocker enabled computer: One of our staff get EFS popup prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key as per screenshot below.We are not using EFS on this computer instead we are using BitLocker to encrypt all volumes on this computer.Double checked and run "CIPHER.EXE /U /N" and result...
  4. Lost Private key to EFS certificate file -

Lost Private key to EFS certificate file -: Hi,I cannot access my encrypted files because the encryption certificate changed. I can still see it in the certificate manager but I cannot export it in Pfx file to install it again only in CER format....
  5. Decryption of an encrypted file without certificate.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Decryption of an encrypted file without certificate.: I wanted to format my device since it was a lagging and I was lazy to clean off all the apps, so I simply formatted it and updated it to the new windows 21H1. I was previously on 20H2, and I had some compressed files, which I added a password to encrypted and before...
  6. File Encryption and Decryption Problem With Certificate Private Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File Encryption and Decryption Problem With Certificate Private Key: Hi, so recently i had to do a backup and reset for my laptop and it is just after the reset that i realised that some of my files were encrypted. I had by luck been able to backup the certificates but cannot get access to the files still. It says that the private key is...
  7. Cannot Export / Backup my EFS certificate private key

Cannot Export / Backup my EFS certificate private key: Windows 10 Pro 1909 Hi Folks, I am trying to export my EFS certificate as a backup, however I am having no joy. Note: I can encrypt and decrypt files using EFS no problem using my account. Trying in Certificate Manger: certmgr.exe As Administrator Personal /...
  8. How to decrypt encrypted files created in an old windows without certification

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to decrypt encrypted files created in an old windows without certification: I had windows 8 in the first place. Then I upgraded it to windows 10. It worked well and I encrypted some of my files. After two years, having had problems with my windows 10, I decided to update it. However, my drivers stopped working. Therefore, I formatted my C Drive and...
  9. Encryption File System EFS decryption issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Encryption File System EFS decryption issue: Hello everyone, I have a huge problem and i need help. Windows encrypted my files with EFS and bit locker for the hard drive. I had to restore my computer after i noticed malicious program was running and causing problems. I was unable to restore from a known good point so...
  10. Backup the EFS encryption key file

Backup the EFS encryption key file: Yesterday I installed OneDrive app and linked it to my office 365 enterprise University account. Since then, every time I turn on my pc, I receive a warning about backup of the encryption key from EFS application. But I have never used bitlocker. I did some search online and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. decrypt efs without certificate