Windows 10: Help I installed HOME instead of PRO - can I update without re-install

Discus and support Help I installed HOME instead of PRO - can I update without re-install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there I installed HOME instead of PRO by mistake on clean re-install Can I upgrade to PRO without doing another clean install --I have a digital... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jimbo45, Aug 2, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Help I installed HOME instead of PRO - can I update without re-install

Hi there

I installed HOME instead of PRO by mistake on clean re-install
    Can I upgrade to PRO without doing another clean install --I have a digital entitlement for it.

My error at the install prompt --I always tell other to READ the screen prompts when installing anything -- I've fallen into my own trap.

!!!

I need PRO --Language packs, RDP remote server and HYPER-V. Otherwise I would just leave it.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Aug 2, 2016

2. Upgraded to Windows Pro without my authorization, now can not activate it, because my computer has Home edition key!

I was running Windows 10 Home just fine (activated) until yesterday, when I got a message saying that my Windows needed to be UPDATED.

Instead of updating, I guess it ugraded me to Windows 10 PRO, and now I can not activate it, because the activation troubleshooter is telling me I have a Windows 10 Home key on my computer, but I am running Pro!

I never asked for Pro, was perfectly happy with Home, and got CHEATED by Microsoft, upgrading me without authorization.

I do not want to lose all my personal data and settings by re-installing Home again, is there any other solution to this issue?

Thank you in advance for your help!

SamSriLanka, Aug 2, 2016
  3. neilpzz Win User
    Move windows 10 product key to new HDD

I don't think you can go from Pro to Home without a re-install.

neilpzz, Aug 2, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 2, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    @Brink

Thanks Shawn
    Entered the default key (it wanted a key) and then installed OK. On Boot Activated OK.

Thanks

I didn't fancy re-installing a whole slew of stuff again --Had some VM's and whatever -- I inly noticed when I couldn't find HYPER-V or get RDP working as well as problems with Language pack installs.

Cheers
    and thanks. !!

Jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 2, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome mate. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Help I installed HOME instead of PRO - can I update without re-install - Similar Threads - Help installed HOME

2. Can I re-install Windows 11 by re-installing as if I were updating to avoid having to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I re-install Windows 11 by re-installing as if I were updating to avoid having to...: Can I re-install Windows 11 by re-installing as if I were updating, to avoid having to re-install all my apps? I am trying to get Spotlight to work. Every solution offered so far has failed to fix the Spotlight problem, and there is only so much more I am willing to go...
  3. Why can I not re-install Win 10 Pro???

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Why can I not re-install Win 10 Pro???: I bought win 10 pro from microsoft store, I had to reload PC, now I cannot restore to Win 10 Pro.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-can-i-not-re-install-win-10-pro/1d3ffc74-81f2-4125-962c-485f0a7a2450
  4. i seem to have installed pro instead of home

i seem to have installed pro instead of home: hi all me again i had a problem with an update and the kind person from microsoft sorted it but to cut a long story short,he advised me to run the repair programme which i did . i could have sworn i hadd pro installed when i bought this pc so i chose pro. now win10 wont...
  5. i seem to have installed home instead of pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    i seem to have installed home instead of pro: i was unable to install an update so a kind guy from microsoft helped me out. after he told me to go to below which i did.but the link you gave me installed home edition.works fine but.... i purchased pro way back in 2016. still have receipt but no activation code given ???...
  6. Can I Use Windows Dual Boot instead Of Grubb Without Re-Installing OS?

Can I Use Windows Dual Boot instead Of Grubb Without Re-Installing OS?: So, Im using Windows 10 Home & Linux Lite. At the moment, my pc boots up Grubb Menu at the start. Is it possible to use windows Dual Boot Without Re-installing Windows Onto My PC? 170063
  7. Windows 10 Home installed instead of pro

Windows 10 Home installed instead of pro: My friend did a clean install of windows. He had windows 10 pro which was activated with his account linked to the key. He forgot that the media he used was fir windows 10 home. When he finished everything it said that windows was activated with a digital key linked to your...
  8. Installing Windows 10 Pro instead of Home

Installing Windows 10 Pro instead of Home: I purchased Windows 10 Pro directly from Microsoft. I downloaded and ran the Media Installation Tool. It did not give me an option to select Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro, it just had the option "Windows 10". I ran it from a computer that was already running Pro, and...
  9. Accidently installed pro instead of home

Accidently installed pro instead of home: HI all a complete newbie here, My problem is that I have installed Windows 10 pro instead of the Home edition, my laptop says I have the digital licence for the Home edition and I need to install Windows 10 Home but I cannot find anywhere for a free download etc, I haven't...
  10. Installation setup Home instead of Pro.

Installation setup Home instead of Pro.: Today I had to do a clean install of Win10 which I did from a USB with the Win 10 install software on it. When completed the installation I notice it is now running 10 Home. When I run ShowKey it seems that the installation has picked up the original 8.1 OEM key from...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 installing home instead pro

2. installed home instead of pro

3. windows installed home instead of pro

4. win10 installs home instead of pro,
  5. clean install of windows 10 but it installed home instead of pro