Windows 10: HELP! No BIOS at bootup, PC only shows mobile display

Discus and support HELP! No BIOS at bootup, PC only shows mobile display in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; These are my PC Specs: CPU: 5960X Mobo: ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME GPU: GTX 980 RAM: 16GB 2800 XMP Strange behavior. I booted up my PC and not only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JOSHSKORN, Oct 4, 2015.

1. JOSHSKORN Win User

HELP! No BIOS at bootup, PC only shows mobile display

These are my PC Specs:
    CPU: 5960X
    Mobo: ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME
    GPU: GTX 980
    RAM: 16GB 2800 XMP

Strange behavior. I booted up my PC and not only did it not display the BIOS, but the post beep did not sound. I hear another beep normally, but I think that's related to an overclocking error when applying the XMP profile for my RAM. When my computer gets into Windows 10, my resolution is a 640x480 and it doesn't display my GPU, instead it displays a mobile PC display. How did this happen? I have a 27" monitor at 60 hz. It literally changed overnight, and I can't seem to find System Restore. I don't think I'm automatically booted into safe mode.

:)

JOSHSKORN, Oct 4, 2015

2. Only "Mobile PC Display" showing under Display

How are you making out
    on the Lenovo forums
    ? This would be another good detail to mention there. ; )

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, Oct 4, 2015
  3. Only "Mobile PC Display" showing under Display

Hello Jay,

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted touch screen drivers.

In order to understand the issue more clearly, We would request you to kindly provide us with the following information.

• Do you see any exclamation mark in Device Manager?
    To check for any exclamation mark in Device Manager,
    please follow the steps given below.

• Press Windows key + X.

• Click on Device Manager.

• Select Human Interface Devices.

• Check if you see any errors.

We would suggest you to try the following the methods below:

Method 1:

Run Inbuilt Hardware and Device troubleshooter. Follow the steps given below.

Note:
    If your computer is having problems with a recently installed device or other hardware, try using the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter to fix the problem. It checks for common issues and makes sure that any new device or
    hardware attached to your computer was installed correctly.

• Press Windows Key +R, type
      Control Panel.

• Type troubleshooting
      in the search bar, click on troubleshooting.

• Click on Hardware and Devices.

• Follow the steps from the wizard to run the troubleshooter.
    If the issue persists, follow method 2.

Method 2:

Step 1:

To diagnose whether this issue occurs in
    “Safe Mode”
    , let’s reboot the computer in safe mode and check if the issue appears there as well.

Safe mode is a diagnostic mode for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. This helps us in identifying whether the issue is due to some
    third party programs conflict. The word Safe mode appear in the concern of your monitor to identify which windows mode you are using.

Follow the steps given below:

• Type settings in search and click on Settings.

• Click Update and recovery, and then tap or
      click Recovery.

• Under Advanced startup, tap or click Restart now.

• Once your PC restarts, on the Choose an option screen, tap or click
      Troubleshoot.

• If you don't see the Startup Settings option, tap or click
      advanced options.

• Tap or click Startup Settings.

• Tap or click Restart.

• On the Startup Settings screen, choose the
      Safe Mode.

• Sign in to your PC with a user account that has
      administrator rights.
    Step 2:

If the issue does not appear in safe mode, place the computer in clean boot state and check if the issue reappears.

Placing your system in “Clean Boot” state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

If the issue does not occur in “Clean Boot”, then you may determine which application/service on the computer is causing this issue. This can be done by following the instructions for
    “Windows 8.1 and Windows 8” given in the section “How to determine what is causing the problem by performing a Clean Boot” from the same given link.

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Let us know what happens.

Anthony Cato, Oct 4, 2015
  4. bobkn Win User

Have you tried clearing the CMOS?

That's what is recommended if you can't get into the BIOS (really UEFI, I imagine) settings because fast boot was enabled.

bobkn, Oct 4, 2015
  5. JOSHSKORN Win User
    Can Fast Boot be disabled in Windows?

JOSHSKORN, Oct 4, 2015
  6. bobkn Win User
    The Fast Boot that I'm thinking of is controlled by the BIOS settings. I guess that's likely to be the root of your problem.

There's a hybrid boot in Windows, but I have not used it. (Saves some information to disk, as for hibernation.)

bobkn, Oct 4, 2015
  7. JOSHSKORN Win User
    I Google it and turned off Fast Boot within Windows. That didn't work, now my computer won't work at all. CMOS battery reset my only option or should I take a stab at the Safe Mode button on my motherboard?

JOSHSKORN, Oct 4, 2015
  8. HELP! No BIOS at bootup, PC only shows mobile display

alphanumeric, Oct 4, 2015
  9. bobkn Win User
    Is clearing the CMOS a major issue for you? The Rampage V Extreme has a button on the IO panel to do that. You don't even need to open the case.

I know that it's possible that you're using a large number of custom settings with an advanced motherboard like that, but I hope that you have notes on what they are, just for this sort of contingency.

bobkn, Oct 4, 2015
  10. JOSHSKORN Win User
    I read that this option is only available with a clean install of Windows 10, NOT an upgrade like I have. I checked into it, and I do not have this option, probably because my Windows 10 is an upgrade from Windows 7.

On a similar note, I did download a full installation file of Windows 10. If I were to reformat and do a clean install, do I use the same key that is currently on my Windows 10 install or will it provide me with a different key? If I don't get an answer now, I'll ask again at a later time, as I plan on doing a clean install, anyway when I upgrade my hard drive in a few months.

JOSHSKORN, Oct 4, 2015
  11. Looey Win User
    I upgraded from 8.1.1 and was able to format and install 10 numerous times. Just bypass entering a key and it will lead on through the installation.

Looey, Oct 4, 2015
  12. bobkn Win User
    The requirement is that the Windows 10 installation be a UEFI one. I imagine that if your Win 7 installation wasn't UEFI, then the upgrade also wouldn't be. (I'm not in a position to verify that at the moment.)

The free Win 10 installation doesn't give you a unique key. If you install it as an upgrade and activate it, a hardware hash code is retained on Microsoft's activation servers. (That has basically been true since XP, I think.) The big change with Win 10 is that you can clean install and activate online if you do it on the same hardware. A new HD is probably OK. A new motherboard is certainly not. I expect that you could activate by phone if a new HD put you over the top as regards hardware changes.

bobkn, Oct 4, 2015
  13. HELP! No BIOS at bootup, PC only shows mobile display

*Ditto If it's not a UEFI install you won't see that opt. As you mentioned, the upgrade from a non UEFI install is likely why it's MIA.

14. Once you do the free upgrade and activate Windows 10, your hardware ID is stored on the activation server. You now have a digital entitlement for that version of Windows 10 on that PC. Clean install that same version and you can skip entering a key. It should activate just fine. I've done it a couple of times. You can enter the key if you want, but don't have too. Google the last 5 characters and you'll likely find out its a generic key. My 4 PC's here at home that I did the free upgrade to 10 Pro all have the same generic key that's been posted here on the forums.

15. I've seen this issue of not being able to access the BIOS on boot up posted numerous times. Usually, turning off Windows Fast Startup fixes it. Fast Startup puts the PC in a hybrid sleep mode instead of a full shut down. One way around it is as follows. Shut down windows. Unplug the power plug and remove the battery if its a laptop. Then press and hold down the power button for say 5 seconds. This drains any residual power and forces a cold start. Plug the power cord back in and boot up while pressing the BIOS access key.

Thema:

1. HELP! No BIOS at bootup, PC only shows mobile display - Similar Threads - HELP BIOS bootup

2. pc only work in bios

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    pc only work in bios: I tried to restart my whole pc, using the option to remove everything, after doing it it stopped and said undoing changes and booted back up flashing the searchbar and a white screen. I tried to fix it and now when i start my pc it automaticly turns off after the chance to...
  3. Show bios screen on a different display.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Show bios screen on a different display.: I want to install windows 10 and Uninstaller chrome os with this but the problem is the bios ONLY displays on the built in display. And not the plugged in display. I really need help because the built in display is broken. And the plugged in display isn't. I am using an Evoo...
  4. Show only on .. not showing in Multiple displays

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Show only on .. not showing in Multiple displays: As shown below, I'm missing the Show only on [Display number] option in the Multiple displays setting. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/show-only-on-not-showing-in-multiple-displays/b9ee1026-b13e-4024-b5e9-37bc7ef16d7e
  5. Show only on .. not showing in Multiple displays

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Show only on .. not showing in Multiple displays: As shown below, I'm missing the Show only on [Display number] option in the Multiple displays setting. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/show-only-on-not-showing-in-multiple-displays/b9ee1026-b13e-4024-b5e9-37bc7ef16d7e
  6. Show only on .. not showing in Multiple displays

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. PC Help! I’m Stuck! Only Booting to Bios!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC Help! I’m Stuck! Only Booting to Bios!: Pc Help! Only Booting to Bios! Hi all, I built my first PC two years ago now. Today, I upgraded my motherboard and cpu (i7-10700k and MSI- MPG z490 Gaming edge WiFi). I am no computer genius; and I realized on my first build that I would need to download the OS to a...
  8. Windows Help keeps showing up at bootup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Help keeps showing up at bootup: I have a fresh install of Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17763) (17763.rs5_release.180914-1434) only about 5 days old. What irritates me is that the Windows Help is driving me up to the wall. Sometimes I boot up the computer and my browser won't even load it....
  9. BIOS only shows on TV

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    BIOS only shows on TV: I have an ASUS GTX 1070 which is connected to an ACER monitor by DVI and my TV via HDMI. Displays are set to duplicate. When I want to enter the BIOS, it only shows on my TV, my monitor shows no signal. In the display settings, the TV is set to display number 1, so I'm...
  10. Only "Mobile PC Display" showing under Display

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Only "Mobile PC Display" showing under Display: I don't know what happened to my display, but once I reinstalled Windows 10, the display (under Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Pen and Touch -> Display tab -> Display Options -> Display drop-down box) only shows that I have a mobile pc display. But I know that is not...