Windows 10: Help: Non-existent user displayed

Discus and support Help: Non-existent user displayed in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Ok, I'm here and without any good news :'( I did all and now I have: 1) The whole partition F:\ is still considered as Pictures folder and if I... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Lio, Sep 13, 2015.

1. LIO
    Lio Win User

Help: Non-existent user displayed

Ok, I'm here and without any good news :'(

I did all and now I have:

1) The whole partition F:\ is still considered as Pictures folder and if I try to relocate it I have this "warning" as yesterday.

Help: Non-existent user displayed [​IMG]

2) The folder Pictures created yesterday with the batch file in partition F:\ is still there and is a system Pictures folder as before.

Look at the date and icon for both Hdd and folder

3) In User folder I have now another Pictures folder

And still I have TWO different User with different System Pictures folder (look the icon and name)

What could happen performing the move with the warning that I posted above ?
    It's seems the last chance I have....

2. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Sep 15, 2015
  3. LIO
    Lio Win User
    I'm getting mad!

Now the situation is worse than before.
    I've tried all without any changes so I decided to do something decisive.
    I've moved all the pictures in an external drive to backup them all.
    Then I formatted the partition F: \
    It did not do even that, it continued to remain as a folder and not as clean partition of HDD.
    Then I deleted the partition AFTER running the "Restore to default" of the entire partition still seen as the Pictures folder even if it is empty and formatted. And this time no warning at all.
    Actually I don't have a partition F:\ and I want to solve the problem before create newly and moving there system Pictures folder.

BUT:
    If I click on the Pictures folder on the taskbar, it opens a folder whose name is F:\ and not Pictures, but it seems to be in C:\Users\BigBear\Pictures\.
    But it is NOT there.
    I cannot only post screenshot because the reality is absolutely absurd.

Look the screen and tell me how I can have newly my Pictures folder if you can !! *Banghead*Banghead*Banghead*cry*cry

4. LIO
    Lio Win User

I've tried some trick founded on Reddit and now I have the right neme on the folder Pictures, with the right icon.

I have it in library, in the taskbar and in Quick access too.
    It seems back near normal except of one thing: the system Pictures folder is not in User folder!!
    Or, it's there but it's a hidden system file !!!

Now I have to understand why it's an hidden folder in User but it's visible as Pictures folder in explorer.
    And I need to make it visible.... The properties are the usual properties, with the Location choice, sharing, security and so on.
    But the "Hidden" attributes is checked and is grayed out.

5. LIO
    Lio Win User
    Can anyone offer me any advice for the above problem please?
    Dear Brink, are you completely exhausted by now about my problems?

I'm still with the Pictures folder grayed out and I don't want to proceed with the creation of the new/old partition and the relocation of the Pictures folder till I've solved that problem.
    I'm not even sure if I can move that folder in the new location *Confused

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hey Lio,

So far so good.

See if running the command below in an elevated command prompt will unhide your Pictures folder. *Smile

attrib +r -s -h "%USERPROFILE%\Pictures" /S /D

Brink, Sep 16, 2015
  7. LIO
    Lio Win User
    Shawn, you are so kind: thanks again for all.

OK, I did the xommand and the Pictures folder is now unhidden.
    But it's visible only if I enter in the User folder through C:\ --> Users --> BigBear and the folder is there and visible

but if I go there level by level (going up) I jump in BigBear and there the folder Pictures is still grayed out.
    And there are other difference between the two user's folder: the folders I moved in other location are not present in BigBear, but they are there in BigBear !

My concern now, is that If I move the visible Pictures folder where it should be (partition F: \ that I'm going to recreate) it will re-create the problem of duplicate folder Pictures precisely because of that double name BigBear and BigBear that despite being the same person, are perceived as two different user.
    As you told me BigBear is the user profile folder name and BigBear is the full name for that account, so the account is only one and is BigBear.
    But then, why apparently the two folders are different and they are equal only if they are opened at the same time?
    How can I fix that problem? Can I change the name?

Thanks so much for your patience!

8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Can you post a screenshot showing where you are opening the BigBear Lio folder from?

It's not clear in your previous screenshots. I'll do some testing to see what it could be.

Brink, Sep 16, 2015
  9. LIO
    Lio Win User
    If I'm in folder Desktop (coming there through up level from Pictures folder) I see the User folder BigBear and not BigBear.
    Clicking in that folder I can see ALL the system folder (Contacts, Desktop. Documents, Downloads, Favorites, Links, Music, OneDrive, SavedGames, Searches, Tracing, Videos AND the grayed out Pictures).
    And for ALL I intended both the relocated folders like Videos and Downloads and the other ones still waiting to be relocated.
    And that folder is for user BigBear .

If I'm in "This PC" and I click on drive C:\ then on Users, I find here 2 folder: BigBear and Public. BigBear only, not BigBear .
    Clicking on that folder I enter in the BigBear user folder in which I see Contacts, Desktop. Documents, Favorites, Links, Music, OneDrive, SavedGames, Searches, Tracing, AND Pictures NOT grayed out. But No relocated folders as Download and Videos.

If I open contemporary both that User's folder (and the tab name are different so are really two different folders with the name of two different users) and I switch from one to the second one, in that moment BigBear changes and and becomes equal identical to the other BigBear folder.

And this make me mad!

10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Odd. Both locations are technically the same and linked.

See if restarting the computer may have Pictures ungrayed in the Lio location afterwards.

Brink, Sep 16, 2015
  11. LIO
    Lio Win User
    Step by step ... It's really incredible!

Ok, I had already restarted 2 times and anything changed.Then I recreated the partition and of course I made a new restart: the third!
    And now miraculously the Pictures folder is back to normal *Party

But still in the two different user folder (BigBear and BigBear) are displayed different content.
    Where is Downloads and Video (the relocated folders) in BigBear?

And now, to avoid some other problem, can I relocate Pictures, Documents and Music with the normal routine:

right click on the original folder icon --> properties -->location -->past new location
    (from for example C:\Users\BigBear\Music to ------->>> L:\Music)
    Obviously - before - I've created the folder Music in that partition and I point there the new system music folder.

In this way, can I be sure that the folder Music will be relocated as System folder?
    And as System folder will it remain visible in my user folder?
    And how can I fix the two folders Downloads and Videos that currently are NOT visible in the User folder?

Thank so much!!

12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news. *Party

This is normal for the two different user folder locations. They are the same folder with both locations linked.

Personally, I would recommend using your libraries how I posted in post #15 instead, and not move the user folders. This will help prevent issues.

Brink, Sep 17, 2015
  13. LIO
    Lio Win User

Yes, I did it .... finally the folder Pictures is there!!

For what I can see, Pictures folder is already in Libraries. And there is another folder that I doesn't put there for sure. The only thing is that the folder's name contains the word pictures (Site Pictures) and really all that folders contains subfolder with pictures.

But... before doing this, I have to move my Pictures folder from the default location to F:\
    Can I do this as always from properties and so on as I wrote in the previous post?

Thanks again Shawn, maybe we are in the final steps!! Never had such problem in 20 years!!

14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. Yep, I believe that we are almost there. *Smile

No need to move the folder(s) at all.

You would just need to include the folder on F: to your library as in post #15.

Brink, Sep 17, 2015
  15. LIO
    Lio Win User
    This is not clear for me.
    I need to have all my pictures or my music, in a different partition. The only pictures are more than 300 GB and the SSD drive for the OS is 128 GB.

As I wrote, Pictures folder is already in the library even if I don't put it there *Rolleyes but now is there.

When I'll move again all my pictures in the Pictures folder, it would be impossible for that folder in C:\ to contain all. That's the reason to have the whole partition F:\ for the Pictures folder.

I'm reading your tutorial "How to Set Default and Public Save Location of Library in Windows 10" but maybe my poor English doesn't let me understand something.

But.. I'm able to follow your step by step tutorial and I'm doing it. The only thing I'm still not sure about, it's if I need to create in my partition F:\ one folder named "Pictures".

And, at the end of this trip, will this new folder "Pictures" created in F: \ to be highlighted and used as a folder system?

If so, why Microsoft has created the routine to move the folder Pictures from the default location to a new one?
    Your procedure seems to create a "link" leaving both folders, but having

Your procedure seems to leave both folders but always leaving one empty using the other one as the real storage for the files.
    Have I misunderstood?

Because if this is the solution, all I need to do for all that system folders is to create a "link" with your tutorial and in this case, the only question is: before following that procedure, should I create the specific folders "Pictures", "Videos", "Downloads", etc.. in the new location and select them to set as default save location?

I think I need to understand the concept of "Library" (I've never used that folder ad "library" special folder because with the previous OS I always moved all my user folder and not only the system folder.

So I think your latest effort is to tell me if I have to create that folder. *Tongue
    Obviously, the last for this problem, I have a couple of new problems that that have built up working on folders .....

Thema:

1. Help: Non-existent user displayed - Similar Threads - Help Non existent

2. Non existent drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Non existent drive: I had an external drive that failed and was removed from the system. It still shows in my explorer tree. I went to windows security and said to scan the non- existent drive expecting to get an "error" of some type. Instead, I got results that said it scanned 18103 files in 17...
  3. Non existent drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Non existent drive: I had an external drive that failed and was removed from the system. It still shows in my explorer tree. I went to windows security and said to scan the non- existent drive expecting to get an "error" of some type. Instead, I got results that said it scanned 18103 files in 17...
  4. Non existent drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. microphone is non existant

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    microphone is non existant: I cannot get the microphone to work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microphone-is-non-existant/40debec0-8ed5-4693-8fca-3a5a8508e323
  6. microphone is non existant

in Windows 10 Gaming
    microphone is non existant: I cannot get the microphone to work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microphone-is-non-existant/40debec0-8ed5-4693-8fca-3a5a8508e323
  7. microphone is non existant

8. Unable to delete the User folder of a non existant User

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to delete the User folder of a non existant User: I used the 'restore from backup' option from control panel on my new win11 notebookusing a backup of my old win10 laptop. A seperate User folder for the data was created by default, but no actual user profile. Trying to delete the User folder results in this error: "you need...
  9. Unable to delete the User folder of a non existant User

Unable to delete the User folder of a non existant User: I used the 'restore from backup' option from control panel on my new win11 notebookusing a backup of my old win10 laptop. A seperate User folder for the data was created by default, but no actual user profile. Trying to delete the User folder results in this error: "you need...
  10. A non-existent problem

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    A non-existent problem: Every time I switch my laptop on I get the following message : " Microsoft account problem we need to fix the problem go to settings to fix the problem " Every time for the last two months I go to settings and fix the supposed problem and get a message back saying that your...