Windows 10: Help! Windows 10 installation problems

Discus and support Help! Windows 10 installation problems in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am officially infuriated. This the second attempt at installing windows 10 and my third clean install on said attempt. Each time it boots for the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Cpaz, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Cpaz Win User

Help! Windows 10 installation problems

I am officially infuriated. This the second attempt at installing windows 10 and my third clean install on said attempt. Each time it boots for the first time just fine, and it's normally at this point where I update drivers. The first install I update nvidia driver. Second time did the same, but altered windows settings. Third and most recent time i've used windows default gpu driver, disabled fast boot (some have said it can cause issues) and updated the audio driver (realtek).
    My pc is as follows:
    ASRock 980DE3/U3S3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
    AMD FX 6300 CPU
    Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
    Zotac GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB GPU
    (and for what it's worth) Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer

The most common issue is that it's a black screen with a mouse. Sometimes it flat out crashes on welcome/login screen.

Through the automatic startup repair (turning off the pc mid-boot) I was able to boot into safe mode. Restarting in safe mode yielded an actual boot. How or why I don't know.
    I turning it off and back on resulted in the messed up boot.

One last note: when I boot, there are two sets of the windows logo with the spinning circles. Both in fast boot and non-fast boot. The second set of circles seems to indicate a proper boot. If the boot is fine, the circles are slightly slower than the first set. If the boot is screwy, the circles are EXTREMELY slow. This was also the case in my first attempt in installing windows 10 a few months back,

If any more details are needed please ask. I just want this issue resolved.
    Thanks.

:)

Cpaz, Mar 7, 2016

2. problems with windows 10 and google chrome

since loading windows 10 i have seen a number of frustrating issues when using google chrome which i have never had before. The most frustrating of these (i have a touch screen laptop) is if i drag the cursor over the screen it resizes either larger or
    smaller which is not what i want. Not a techie so whilst i have tried to fix it looking at other issues i have still not been successful - any ideas how i can fix this please?

windows 10 problems, Mar 7, 2016
  3. Facillity at Zero

Specialization in replies:

Step1

Step2

Step3etc

Installation Guide Windows 10, Mar 7, 2016
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

Some points from your post .....
    It seems to be a display/graphics related issue.

The main difference between Safe Mode and Normal Mode is that Safe Mode does not use the display driver. And Safe Mode is accessible.
    Every time the issue occurs with the installation of the driver to the graphics card.

Try a few alternative versions of the display driver. Say ....

• GeForce 362.00 WHQL
    • GeForce 361.91 WHQL
    • GeForce 361.75 WHQL
    All you get from here: Drivers | GeForce

Uninstall the installed one using Display Driver Uninstaller. Install one of the list. Does it behave the same? If so, try the next one, and so on.

Is it behaving the same for all the three? (Testing with three versions will be enough).

As your motherboard ASRock 980DE3/U3S3 has no graphics on it, you need to try another graphics card. Borrow one from friends or family. Apply it, with appropriate driver. See how it goes, let us know.

5. Cpaz Win User
    Thanks for replying! As soon as I get back to my desktop i'll try the different gpu drivers. Unfortunately, I've no spare motherboard. The only oter motherboard uses and intel cpu, so no compatability.

Cpaz, Mar 8, 2016
  6. Cpaz Win User
    THANK YOU! It seems uninstalling and updating the driver to 361.75 fixed it. I'm going to update over the weekend. I'm cautiously optimistic, but optimistic non the less.

Cpaz, Mar 8, 2016
  7. ARC
    Arc Win User
    It seems good.
    Observe the situation for a few more days. If it causes any further trouble, let us know.

8. Cpaz Win User

OK, quick question, does windows 10 have the ability to update nvidia drivers? Because 1: this morning I had the same issue again, (ran safe mode, and am going to try 362.00) and 2: the driver number was not the traditional nvidia format (3XX.XX)
    If windows does not update video drivers automatically, what happened?

EDIT:
    362.00 worked. Now just more waiting, and searching for windows driver updates (if there are any...)

Cpaz, Mar 9, 2016
  9. ARC
    Arc Win User
    Yes, it has the ability to install the third party drivers as windows updates. I get the drivers this way, bet this time I tried to resist.
    Help! Windows 10 installation problems [​IMG]

If you want to stop it, click on Cortana/Seh. Type "Control Panel".
    Open Control Panel. Set it View by Large Icons. Open System.
    Click on System Protection.
    In the resulting window, Click on "Hardware" > Device Installation Settings"
    Finally, No, and save changes.
    Windows update works good, but I also feel that the current nvidia driver it is offering is not very good. As you are having BSODs, you stop it and use the driver that works fine for you.

If later it provides a stable driver I will inform you.

10. Cpaz Win User
    Alright, so far only 361.75 has lasted me more than a single day. 361.91 and 362.00 have both gone screwy after a day.
    (I turn the pc off before bed, and turn it on in the morning, nothing complicated)
    I suspect why 361.75 went weird the first time was because of windows updating it. Though I'm not certain because of how similar the screw ups between all the drivers have been.
    Any other assistance of suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks again for all the help so far! It's definitely the farthest I've gotten...

Also yes I turned off the windows driver update thing.

11. ARC
    Arc Win User
    Nvidia display driver update via windows update had caused some problems to me too, two/three days ago, and twice.
    I am also using the 361.xx WHQL right now.
    So my experience matches with that of you.

No more troubleshooting is needed there till the computer is running stable. But if it starts causing problems again, let us know.

12. Cpaz Win User
    Potentially related: windows 10 has been having startup issues for the past few days. Usually ending with me going into startup repair. It scans the hard drive and it "attempts repairs" it starts up after that. The odd thing is, for some programs have to reinstall files. Visual studio and Game maker studio to name a few. Other programs have their configurations removed altogether or at least modified.
    All I know for sure is that startup repair seems to only be a temporary fix until the next boot.
    Any help on this would be appreciated as well.

13. ARC
    Arc Win User

Apparently it is a different issue.

Startup repair results into removal of some installed software, that gives a hint any of them is causing the corruption there.
    You may try to minimize it, but that will involve a time.
    Disable Fast Startup. Shut the computer down and then turn it on (not reboot). Is the problem still there?
    If no, keep Fast Startup disabled.
    If yes, remove the programs. Add them one by one and test the impact of the adding to the startup.

You will get the culprit at a point.

14. Cpaz Win User
    *Hopefully* last question, does windows keep a log of what it "fixed" during automatic repair? I know they have a log specifying general usage, but if I could narrow down the list of programs I need to look through that would help allot...

15. ARC
    Arc Win User
Thema:

1. Help! Windows 10 installation problems - Similar Threads - Help installation problems

2. Desperate for help - Windows 10 Pro installation problems

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Desperate for help - Windows 10 Pro installation problems: Hello, I have recently been having issues with Windows 7 and decided it was time to get an upgrade. So I went and bought a Windows 10 Pro OEM key, downloaded the Media Creation Tool and wanted to upgrade my PC. After doing everything like I was prompted to do, and verifying...
  3. Desperate for help - Windows 10 Pro installation problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desperate for help - Windows 10 Pro installation problems: Hello, I have recently been having issues with Windows 7 and decided it was time to get an upgrade. So I went and bought a Windows 10 Pro OEM key, downloaded the Media Creation Tool and wanted to upgrade my PC. After doing everything like I was prompted to do, and verifying...
  4. Desperate for help - Windows 10 Pro installation problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Could anyone help me? (Windows 10 installation problems)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Could anyone help me? (Windows 10 installation problems): I have linux installed right now on a surface pro 4 and I was wondering how to install windows 10 agian? I've tried installing windows but it has not worked. I've tried many fourms but none have helped. Could anyone help me? submitted by /u/USECODELAZAR114 [link]...
  6. Help for Installing Problem

Help for Installing Problem: My PC has the default language set in Chinese and I wanted to change it to English, I found out the only way to do that is to reinstall Windows 10, since my Windows is already the 10 Pro version instead of the single language version, I went to the Microsoft website to get a...
  7. Problem installing windows 10, need help!!

Problem installing windows 10, need help!!: I'm trying to install windows 10 on an old pc but whenever I boot from the usb drive that contains windows 10 it freezes on the windows logo with black background and nothing happens. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this or why this is happening? submitted by...
  8. help, problem after installing windows 10 iso

help, problem after installing windows 10 iso: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Majin_Kayn [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fm1fyy/help_problem_after_installing_windows_10_iso/
  9. Windows 10 Installation Problems HELP

Windows 10 Installation Problems HELP: Hi everyone, i was trying to help one of my friend. He needed to format his pc and reinstall windows 10 on Ssd instead of hdd like he has now. Created USB installation device with Media Tool (did 2 times). Installation starts and sometimes also completes but he's getting...
  10. Windows 10 Installation/Repair/Update problems - help please

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Installation/Repair/Update problems - help please: Hi Folks I an really, Really, REALLY getting annoyed with this. This thread details the history of the issues over the past few weeks ... Black Screen after Windows Update (Windows 10) See in particular posts #17 and 18 of that thread. I finally managed to get my...