Windows 10: Help with win10 upgrade

Discus and support Help with win10 upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My wife's computer could not upgrade to win 10 cause it had an old video card. I upgrade motherboard and video card. Win 7 is registered, but can not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Madness10, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Madness10 Win User

Help with win10 upgrade

My wife's computer could not upgrade to win 10 cause it had an old video card. I upgrade motherboard and video card. Win 7 is registered, but can not upgrade. The free upgrade tool still shows the other video card. Tried the media creation tool and still goes back to the upgrade box with the old card. Is there anyway to erase that upgrade box and redue it?

:)

Madness10, Dec 24, 2015

2. Cannot play Mahjong and folder saved on desktop is lost in Windows 10

Original Title:Lost 2 items after download

Since I downloaded the free Windows 10, I can no longer get into the Mahjong I had on my computer. It was the version that originally came with my computer. I get a message that the program isn't there.

Also, I totally lost a folder on my desktop containing old family photos I had scanned going back to the 1800's. I cannot find the folder and/or pictures anywhere on my computer. I spent days scanning photos.

I really hate Windows 10 and want to remove it from my computer.

frustrated with upgrade, Dec 24, 2015
  3. kappa.-. Win User
    Help with upgrade to win10 from win7 - BSOD/The installation failed in FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation."

Managed to successfully update using the clean install from the media creation tool.

Thanks for your help.

kappa.-., Dec 24, 2015
  4. OldMike65 Win User

Help with win10 upgrade

Check for any left over files or drivers from your old video card. Windows is still finding it somewhere. Check your device manager 1st just to see if its listing 2 video cards, then check your program folders for any left overs. Also just for backup reasons, download a program on this forum called Showkey which will give you the information on your currant Windows Key, incase you need it to upgrade to Windows 10.
    https://www.tenforums.com/software-ap...7-showkey.html

OldMike65, Dec 24, 2015
  5. Madness10 Win User
    Yes, I uninstalled all of old drivers and software. Device manager only showing 1 card. I have my key already for the Win7.

Madness10, Dec 24, 2015
  6. OldMike65 Win User
    Ok then also I would make a complete image backup next, keep this backup on a 2nd drive, external or internal. Incase your upgrade has problems, this will allow you to return to original OS, and try again. You can use Macrium Reflect if you want, its free and a excellent backup program. Read this link and see if this helps you with your upgrade.
    Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First

OldMike65, Dec 24, 2015
  7. Madness10 Win User
    Ok. After messing with this stupid thing for hours, I decided to try the disk. I put the disk in and tried and the first time it failed. Tried again, this time with the updates. Let it go, and just got home from church and Bingo, Win10 installed and activated. Now to format and do a clean install on Sat. Thanks Mike for your help. MS does not make these things easy.

Madness10, Dec 24, 2015
  8. Madness10 Win User

Help with win10 upgrade

ok, got 1 last question. I remember reading about the high CPU and Drive usage and the workarounds and applied them to my computer, but forgot what they were and where to find them at. Can anyone help me with these?

Madness10, Dec 24, 2015
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    Very glad you got your Windows 10 installed and activated!!! Good Job *Smile

OldMike65, Dec 24, 2015
  10. OldMike65 Win User
    Why don't you wait and see IF you actually have these problems 1st? Not all computers run into this problem.

OldMike65, Dec 24, 2015
  11. Madness10 Win User
    I am having the problems. I shut down runtime broker, but is still on the task manager, but not high cpu usage. I also disabled Cortana through the taskbar, but still shows up in task manager. Also the windows defender is taking up a lot of cpu. I will install Norton and see if defender is still high.

Madness10, Dec 24, 2015
  12. OldMike65 Win User
    Ok 1st off Cortana will always show in your taskbar, even if its off. Also turning anything off in your taskbar is only temporary.
    On your runtime broker, their seems to be a fix for this. I will re-post what a user did to fix his problem with it. Windows defender will not run, once you install Nortons.

Runtime Broker is a service called Time Broker, which can be disabled through editing the registry.
    Right-click on the Start Menu Icon. Go to RUN and type regedit.exe and select OK.

Find the following entry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TimeBroker] "Start"=dword:00000003

Change the 3 to a 4.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TimeBroker] "Start"=dword:00000004

4 is Disabled, 3 is Manual and 2 is Automatic startup.

Before editing, the original value was 3. Set to 4 to disable. Just change the 3 to a 4 through the MODIFY menu selection, exit regedit and reboot your system.

OldMike65, Dec 24, 2015
  13. OldMike65 Win User

Help with win10 upgrade

OldMike65, Dec 24, 2015
  14. Madness10 Win User
    Ok. Thanks for all your help. Have a Merry Christmas.

Madness10, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Help with win10 upgrade

1. Help with win10 upgrade - Similar Threads - Help win10 upgrade

2. Win10 - Win11 upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 - Win11 upgrade: According to found published info, this computer meets the requirements for Win11. But when I run PC Health Check, it says my processor is not supported. I need to find out why, and if this computer will support a compatible processor. Any help here?...
  3. Win10 1809 upgrade to Win10 21H1

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 1809 upgrade to Win10 21H1: Hello,I just wanted to confirm can we upgrade directly from Win10 1809 to Win10 21H1.I am unable to find any document for the same. It will be great if anyone can provide links.Thank you....
  4. Upgrading win10

Upgrading win10: Created new install after failure. Everything was fine until the upgrade to 1909. Now on startup, the first start screen shows but the second does not. When I click and get the PIN screen the field is grayed out and will not take the pin....
  5. Upgrade win10 home to win10 pro

Upgrade win10 home to win10 pro: I'm trying to upgrade my win10 home to pro but I'm stuck. The steps taken are below: 1. I disconnected my internet-connection. 2. I went to systems->"Update&Security" -> Activation -> "Change Product Key" 3. I entered the generic key "VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T" and the...
  6. win10 upgrade

win10 upgrade: Me hi, i would like to upgrade one of our business pc s which run win7 pro to win10 in order to test and verify if some of the 3rd party apps which we use will run properly. we have office including access on the computer. how do i get the win 10 download and how do i get the...
  7. Upgrading to Win10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading to Win10: I have several related questions, so I'm hoping someone can answer at least part of them. Here's my situation: I have Win7 (ultimate retail) installed as my primary OS. I am hesitant to use this particular license to upgrade to Win10. I have a Win8 Pro (upgrade) license,...
  8. Upgrade Win10 Home to Win10 Pro

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrade Win10 Home to Win10 Pro: Recently I have replaced my Win 8.1 Home edition with a Win 10 Home edition. (64-bit) Now I would like to upgrade Win10 Home to a Win10 Pro Edition. How do I do that and what will it cost me? 31154
  9. Time: Upgrade to Win10

Time: Upgrade to Win10: How long generally does it take to upgrade to Win10 from Win7. Does it depend on HD & Processor? I have an SSD and AMD Triple core 3.10GHz. Win7 is pretty new clean install about 1&1/2 weeks old. 40961
  10. Upgrade WIN10?

Upgrade WIN10?: I have installed Win10. I got Win10Home 32 bit. I'm pretty sure I had 64bit Win8.1 but it's gone now so I can't check. Is it possible to upgrade to Win10 Pro 64bit? John 22961