Windows 10: Hiding Shortcut Arrow

Discus and support Hiding Shortcut Arrow in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello folks I am new to both these forums and windows 10, so please try and bear with me. Okay, in previous iterations of windows I was always... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Plainjane, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Plainjane Win User

Hiding Shortcut Arrow

Hello folks

I am new to both these forums and windows 10, so please try and bear with me.

Okay, in previous iterations of windows I was always able to hide those unsightly shortcut arrows that are attached to shortcut icons on the desktop. I can do so in Windows 10, but a problem arises. After I log out and back in the arrows are gone, but then many of my icons are turned into nothing but a black square!

I actually used this method:

Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

read this one as well (more or less the same)

How to get rid of app shortcut arrows on the Windows 10 desktop | Windows Central

Anyone have any idea how to get rid of the arrows while keeping my icons from turning into black squares? Oh, and I have tried different graphics drivers as well.

Thanks in advance

:)

Plainjane, Mar 28, 2016

2. Unable to pin icons to Taskbar after making registry changes

Hi,

"Undo" the registry edit. Add the "IsShortcut" registry value back for .lnk file type.

Better method to hide shortcut arrows is to override the default icon using "Shell Icons" registry key.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Mar 28, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Desktop Arrow Symbols

The arrow symbol in your screen capture is the standard arrow for a shortcut, it does not mean compression !!

For a step by step registry hack to remove these standard shortcut arrows -
    Click HERE

DaveM121, Mar 28, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hiding Shortcut Arrow

Hello Plainjane, *Smile

Either option in the tutorial below should allow you to remove the shortcut arrow without having the black square. Using the downloadable transparent.ico file works best for this if you unblock it first, and save it to your System32 folder.

Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10

Brink, Mar 28, 2016
  5. Plainjane Win User
    Sorry to be a bother, but could you break that down a bit for me. Unblock it and save it to my system32 folder? I have downloaded transparent.ico and have it right here on my desktop. How do I unblock it and save it to that particular folder?

Plainjane, Mar 28, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Mar 28, 2016
  7. Plainjane Win User
    Yay, that worked like a charm. Thanks for clarifying that for me, and thanks again for your help in the other thread. I really do appreciate all that.

Off to go mess around with my new OS a bit more. *Smile

Plainjane, Mar 28, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hiding Shortcut Arrow

You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Hiding Shortcut Arrow

1. Hiding Shortcut Arrow - Similar Threads - Hiding Shortcut Arrow

2. Shortcut arrows disappear

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shortcut arrows disappear: Windows 11. I keep shortcuts with arrows on my desktop to quickly open files and folders. However, every 3 weeks or so, the arrows disappear. I run the program “Restore_default_shortcut_arrow.reg” to restore them. It does a great job, but I have to reboot each time....
  3. Shortcut Arrow Size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcut Arrow Size: GreetingsI have just reinstalled Windows 11. After all Windows updates the system is at version 22H2 22621.963.I notice now that when I create a shortcut on the desktop, the arrow is extremely small. Here is an image:The shortcut arrows in Explorer windows appear to be the...
  4. Shortcut Arrow Size

Shortcut Arrow Size: GreetingsI have just reinstalled Windows 11. After all Windows updates the system is at version 22H2 22621.963.I notice now that when I create a shortcut on the desktop, the arrow is extremely small. Here is an image:The shortcut arrows in Explorer windows appear to be the...
  5. Picture password hide arrows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Picture password hide arrows: Hi,is there any way to hide arrows or let's say make them invisible while drawing them on the picture password lock screen?Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/picture-password-hide-arrows/89d6183e-6918-44fc-b05c-8719e1fee5a8
  6. Shortcut arrows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcut arrows: How to remove shortcut arrows in windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shortcut-arrows/e8445720-f95a-4605-a968-5b76569c5b9b
  7. Shortcut arrows

Shortcut arrows: How to remove shortcut arrows in windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shortcut-arrows/e8445720-f95a-4605-a968-5b76569c5b9b
  8. Hide shortcuts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hide shortcuts: How hide not unpin pined apps from taskbar? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hide-shortcuts/a23e31d1-991b-4760-9398-df0fddc6b902
  9. Remove shortcut arrows

Remove shortcut arrows: How do we remove those desktop shortcut arrows? Is there a quick way w/o digging into the registry? I don't see it in the latest UWT. Thanks *Wink 113829
  10. Shortcut arrow

Shortcut arrow: How remove shortcut arrows from desktop icons in Win10 ? 8484