Windows 10: Hiding the Desktop Icon (Dropdown File Explorer)

Discus and support Hiding the Desktop Icon (Dropdown File Explorer) in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello everyone, Hereby I would like to ask all of you for help on a problem me and my colleague have been tackling for the past couple of days now. We... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by sounddie, Apr 8, 2019.

1. sounddie Win User

Hiding the Desktop Icon (Dropdown File Explorer)

Hello everyone,

Hereby I would like to ask all of you for help on a problem me and my colleague have been tackling for the past couple of days now. We just can't seem to be able to crack this one.

Situation:
    We are setting up our new Citrix farm and preparing our new XenApp/VDA servers from scratch (Windows Server 2019).
    One of the priorities is disabling everything the end-user shouldn't be able to run or navigate to.

Since we use Citrix Profile Management, users shouldn't be able to access local directories on the C: Drive of the Windows Server host.
    We've been able to hide/restrict access to local directories via the navigation pane on the left and the C: Drive directly. Just one last thing is making us scratch our heads.

In the address bar in file explorer one has the possibility to navigate to the Desktop by pressing the first drop-down button next to the icon:

Hiding the Desktop Icon (Dropdown File Explorer) [​IMG]

No matter what we try, we just can't seem to hide this one.
    We tried:
    - Adjusting the attributes values in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\ for the desktop GUID (shellfolder) to b094010c or f090004d
    - Creating the ThisPCPolicy string (value: "Hide") in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{B4BFCC3A-DB2C-424C-B029-7FE99A87C641}\PropertyBag
    - Folder redirection for Desktop
    - Adjusting the above values in its equivalent WOW6432Node.

No matter what we try, the desktop icons stays or keeps redirecting to C:\users\*user*\Desktop.
    However, we were able to hide "This PC" etc from the context menu via the above methods.

Are we missing something here?
    So far we haven't come across a post showing how to hide this specific icon at that location.

Thanks in advance for your help!

:)

sounddie, Apr 8, 2019
  2. sturpe Win User

Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer

Now that is interesting. If I do what you suggest, File Explorer Address bar changes to C:\Users\username\documents and the missing ICONS are there. But there is still not a "Desktop" folder.

Is this a step in the right direction?

sturpe, Apr 8, 2019
  3. sturpe Win User
    Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer

My Desktop is showing icons as normal. But if I try to find what is on my desktop by using file manager, I cannot find the icon. I also checked under C;\user my name, public, default and no desktop listed on any of them. Any suggestions?

sturpe, Apr 8, 2019
  4. Hiding the Desktop Icon (Dropdown File Explorer)

No icons on desktop after startup only

EagleEye,

Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried toggling the Desktop icons on and off?

• Right-click on an open area of the Desktop
    • Click: View
    • If Show Desktop icons is already checked, uncheck it.
    • Repeat the above steps a time or two.
    • Check: Show Desktop icons

Desktop Icons - Hide or Show in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

If no go on the above, right-click on the empty Desktop, and create a file.

Let us know if they come back on.

cottonball, Apr 8, 2019
Thema:

Hiding the Desktop Icon (Dropdown File Explorer)

1. Hiding the Desktop Icon (Dropdown File Explorer) - Similar Threads - Hiding Desktop Icon

2. File Explorer with pc desktop icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer with pc desktop icons: i have always used File Explorer to open and use other folders, but now i only get devices.. i am using windows 11.. any help to go from one to the other, thanks...
  3. File Explorer with pc desktop icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer with pc desktop icons: i have always used File Explorer to open and use other folders, but now i only get devices.. i am using windows 11.. any help to go from one to the other, thanks...
  4. Hide desktop icons on startup???

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hide desktop icons on startup???: SOLVED! :) How can I hide all desktop icons? ------------------------------------------------- I know how to hide the desktop icons by right clicking and choosing View then disabling Show unchecked Show Desktop Icons. But how does one make this permanent so that during...
  5. Show/Hide Desktop icons

Show/Hide Desktop icons: Is there a keyboard shortcut to hide or show desktop icons? submitted by /u/Deathpact231 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i193tb/showhide_desktop_icons/
  6. Hiding fonts from application dropdown

Hiding fonts from application dropdown: Is there a way I can hide fonts from appearing in the drop down list of my programs? There are a lot of fonts that cannot be deleted, and I'd love to bring my font list down to the dozen or so fonts I actually use instead of a bunch of symbol fonts which I will never use....
  7. hiding desktop icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    hiding desktop icons: How do you hide the desktop icons in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hiding-desktop-icons/aaefc1bb-020c-4564-b4ef-2a61f0388a1e
  8. Desktop and File Explorer icons gone

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop and File Explorer icons gone: Hello! I have readed some other posts about people who had the same problem as me, but none of those solutions worked for me. Basically today I booted up my computer and all of my icons are randomly gone, in File Explorer and on the desktop. I cannot go to...
  9. Windows Explorer hides *SOME* files visible on Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer hides *SOME* files visible on Desktop: Hi all, I'm having a problem with a brand new Dell XPS 15" computer regarding what files and folders it hides. Here's a picture of what is happening. [img] I have tried all the usual suspects. It is not marked as "Hidden" in the properties. I always enable "seeing...
  10. Remove Dropdown Arrow on This PC Icon from desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove Dropdown Arrow on This PC Icon from desktop: Thanks Edwin! That was the culprit and I was able to remove. I appreciate the assistance!