Windows 10: Hiding Updates in Creators Update?

Discus and support Hiding Updates in Creators Update? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello all, I have this problem of Windows Update installing some updates that I don't want. Now, I understand that one could hide updates with the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JohnnyGui, Apr 6, 2017.

1. JohnnyGui Win User

Hiding Updates in Creators Update?

Hello all,

I have this problem of Windows Update installing some updates that I don't want.
    Now, I understand that one could hide updates with the Update Troubleshooter from here.

However, that Update Troubleshooter only detects the updates after Windows Update has searched for them. This is a problem, because if you click "Search for updates" in Windows Update to let the Troubleshooter detect them, Windows Update will automatically download and install them immediately.

Before the Creators Update I was able to choose in the Group Policy Editor that Windows Update would not automatically download or install updates until I tell it to, even if I have searched for them myself. However, this option is gone from the Group Policy Editor in the new Creators Update. I have Windows 10 Pro x64.

How do I solve this?

:)

JohnnyGui, Apr 6, 2017

2. Delete the Fall Creators Update before it gets installed

Thanks, I should have left the metered option on a few months ago, I deactivated it to receive the Creators Update a few months ago.

I've downloaded the Show or Hide Updates program, but the Fall Creators Update is not available to hide in it.

Andrés Martínez Vargas, Apr 6, 2017
  3. Creators Edition renders my computers useless

Andre.

I rolled back my installation of Creators Update and I am back at Windows 10 1607 14393

My computer has Windows 10 Home. Is the metered setting the only way to block the creator's update?

I downloaded the Show or Hide updates tool, but I don't see the Creators Update to Hide it.

SergioFlightSimmer, Apr 6, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

In my group policy editor I have the following:

Hiding Updates in Creators Update? [​IMG]

and

Followed by this one:

So what do these settings do?

NavyLCDR, Apr 6, 2017
  5. JohnnyGui Win User
    Ah thanks, I missed those. So I chose the exact same settings for these policies as you pointed.

However, when I click "Search for Updates" then Windows Update will still immediately install the updates.
    However, this could be because at the moment there are some updates that are probably already downloaded because I deleted these before (I notice that Windows Update immediately tells me that it's installing without saying it's downloading first).
    Perhaps if there's a way to clean the updates temp folder so that Windows Update will need to download them first, I can check reliably what these settings do?

However, it could also be that those settings are only meant for if Windows Update searches for updates by itself, not if I manually click the "Search for Updates" button. In that case that still wouldn't be a problem since the Update Troubleshooter would detect those automatically searched updates so I can hide them.

JohnnyGui, Apr 7, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    You could try WUMT. It will tell you what Windows Update wants to install (it just calls the standard Windows Update API) and you can decide whether to install or hide the updates or even just see what it is planning.

Download Windows Update MiniTool - MajorGeeks

lx07, Apr 7, 2017
  7. reddice Win User
    That is what I use to hide the out of date video driver and horrible old Realtek driver.

reddice, Apr 7, 2017
  8. JohnnyGui Win User

That's a great tool actually. Fortunately, the policy settings NavyLCDR posted did make Windows Update show what updates are about to be downloaded and installed before actually doing so, so now I don't have to search for it manually to let the Update Troubleshooter detect them.

I have a slightly off-topic question; I have installed the public released version of the Creators Update (clean install using the Media Creation Tool), but for some reason I'm getting this update recommended by Windows Update:

"Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows Insider Preview and Server Technical Preview x64 - March 2017 (KB890830)"

How come it recommends me to download an update for the Insider Preview or Technical Preview?? Isn't the public version an official one?

JohnnyGui, Apr 7, 2017
  9. JohnnyGui Win User
    Anyone who could please help me with this question?

Also, is there a certain command-line for Windows 10 that makes Windows Update scan for available updates without installing? The "wuauclt.exe /detectnow" doesn't do anything for some reason.

JohnnyGui, Apr 8, 2017
  10. lx07 Win User
    I've not been offered any update to MRT on 1703. You could have a check in System32 and see what version it is. On 1703 (upgraded version) I have 5.46.13601.0 which was there from old version 1607.

On 1703 (15063 clean install) I don't have mrt.exe at all (and nor do I on insider build 16170 clean install).

Generally it comes on Tuesday so I'm not sure why you are offered it.

11. JohnnyGui Win User
    I did a clean install of 1703 using the MCT that Microsoft released to the public on April the 5th. I don't have the MRT.exe in the System32 either. However, I do have the following files in the System32 folder:

That's why I wondered if there's a command prompt to let Windows Update refresh/rescan the available updates that it found.

JohnnyGui, Apr 8, 2017
  12. lx07 Win User
    I have the same with clean install using MCT - .dlls but not .exe. The only way I know to check without triggering installation is to use WUMT.

I'm not being offered anything except for Defender updates at the moment though. I don't know much about MRT but perhaps Tuesday.

13. JohnnyGui Win User

Thanks for checking. I meant to refresh/rescan WU's available updates information to make that update perhaps disappear again in case it was a temporary glitch that eventually got fixed from Windows' Update server (on my end).

JohnnyGui, Apr 8, 2017
  14. lx07 Win User
  15. JohnnyGui Win User
    Thanks! I think I'll wait and see first if it will get fixed on the 11th first before trying this out (not really fond of playing with the system).

EDIT: Just found out I'm not the only one with this bug:

[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Redstone 2 - Creators Update - Page 17 - Guru3D.com Forums

[DISCUSSION] Windows 10 (1703 RS2) Final 15063 (PC) - Page 275

March Windows 10 Cumulative Updates are out! KB4012606 (RTM), KB4013198 (1511), KB4013429 (1607) : Windows10

Someone from the Windows Defender team replied to the user with the problem in the last link saying that it's a known issue and will be fixed.

JohnnyGui, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Hiding Updates in Creators Update? - Similar Threads - Hiding Updates Creators

2. hide update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    hide update: ok i tired hiding certain updates by using wushowhide by microsoft but it seems intel drivers are still being installed and they cannot be removed after installed through windows update. is there any solution for this?...
  3. hiding updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    hiding updates: I know there is a way to hide specific widndows update, but to be more specific is there a way to hide certain "optional" updates, specifically drivers. the reason l ask is my recently purchased laptop is a refurb which has had some minor replacements one of which was the...
  4. Creator's Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creator's Update: What is Creator's Update? And How can I get that? Are Insider Program and Creator's Update Same https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/creators-update/1d440c83-6041-478b-9874-b651a8224bd1
  5. Creators Update.

Creators Update.: How will I know when the Creator's Update has been installed please? Presumably it appears in Settings/Update and Security but is it identifiable? 86408
  6. Hide Updates

Hide Updates: I have a failed update that I do not want, but how are they hidden, up to 8.1 it was easy, now I cant find 'hide updates' ?*Sad 51964
  7. Creators Update

Creators Update: I don't particularly want to do a manual download but am I the only one that hasn't received the Creator's Update yet? I also read somewhere that certain applications running on a computer might stop the update from downloading. 89939
  8. creator update

creator update: It appears that the creator update has me in its crosshairs. From what little I could find out the only thing I am interested in is the improved edge. Can all the other features be uninstalled or at least ignored. 86852
  9. Creators update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Creators update: I installed the creators update some months ago that helped solving some of the problems I had with windows. But after windows crashed and I had to reinstall it, I can no longer seem to get the creators update to work. I just get a message that says "thank you for updating...
  10. creators update

in Windows 10 Support
    creators update: I was wondering if anyone is having trouble with the creators update? I installed it on a desktop and laptop. The laptop seems ok with it. The desktop appeared ok at first, but after a couple of days things started happening. Keyboard would freeze, chrome with bing started...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hide windows updates creators update