Windows 10: HomeGroup problem

Discus and support HomeGroup problem in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; hi all. this is my first post so be gentle please....*Smile My Problem:- When I turn on my pc the first screen that shows up is the stock windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by boufant, Feb 20, 2016.

1. boufant Win User

HomeGroup problem

hi all.
    this is my first post so be gentle please....*Smile

My Problem:-
    When I turn on my pc the first screen that shows up is the stock windows 10 screen....... however,
    there is a box with 'HomeUserGroup$' and a request for a password (This is to get to my personal desktop)
    I have never set up a Homegroup on this pc, and hence have no idea of the password i'm asked for.
    So, in the bottom left hand corner there is an option for me to open another 'login box' with my name in it.
    I click on this and another box appears (exactly same as the HomeUser$ box) only this has my name in it, and I enter my Microsoft password and hey presto I've arrived at my personal desktop.
    My account is the only 'User Account' on this pc.
    I cannot find any trace of 'HomeUserGroup' in control panel.
    As far as I can see, there is no trace of HomeUserGroup on this PC!
    So I am totally baffled as to why the above happens, and as you can guess, it's a right pain in the butt.

Any ideas, suggestions etc as to why\what is going on will be greatly appreciated...any questions will be answered as good as I can if you need more info.

Thanks in Advance,
    Mark.

:)

boufant, Feb 20, 2016

2. W10 Upgrade has changed file types

I have just had the latest big W10 upgrade and discovered it has changed my Word documents to Office Open XML files.

Can anyone tell me why this was done and whether there is a quick fix. Obviously I can use 'Open with' to get them back into Word. However then this involves duplicate documents.

Homegroup problem, Feb 20, 2016
  3. Cannot connect to homegroup after Windows Updates

This did not solve the problem. We were able to solve the problem by going to another computer on the homegroup and deleted the computer that could not connect to the homegroup from the homegroup. After that I was able to connect to the homegroup from
    the 'problem' laptop.

JulieSalyer, Feb 20, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

HomeGroup problem

Hello bouffant *Smile

The HomeUserGroup$ is a built-in account for the HOMEGROUP access.

If you look at the following tutorial it will show you how to view the various accounts on your system. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

It looks as if at some point you may have tried to set up an auto login. In the search box enter netplwiz - this should give you access to the run command for the User control panel. Make sure the check box it ticked as shown below:

HomeGroup problem [​IMG]

See if this fixes it.

philc43, Feb 20, 2016
  5. boufant Win User
    hi phil,

thanks for that, looks like you've solved the 'homeusergroup' issue for me, when I start pc it goes to my desktop background.
    However, from there I have to hit the monitor like button in bottom right hand corner of screen and this brings up my name box where I have to put my Microsoft password in.
    how do I get rid of this part, so I just start my pc and it goes straight to my desktop....no password login.
    Phil...ignore above iv'e sorted it mate. Thanks for the help, much appreciated. *Biggrin

cheers again

Mark.

boufant, Feb 21, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    Hi Mark,

Well done! Please use the button at the top to mark this thread as solved.

Cheers,
    Phil

philc43, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

HomeGroup problem

1. HomeGroup problem - Similar Threads - HomeGroup problem

2. Homegroup problems

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Homegroup problems: Respected, I have some issues with the homegroup. My computer is the main one and i created the homegroup. I have bought a new computer and when i wanted to connect with my homegroup, it is written that windows online troubleshooting service is disabled. So i cannot add...
  3. How to solve frustrating homegroup problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to solve frustrating homegroup problem: Im running w10 on a desktop and laptop and having problems connecting to my homegroup (HG) but having problems setting up a homegroupUsing my old pw did not work. When I tried to set up another HG I was given a new pw, but entering it on my laptop I received user name and pw...
  4. Homegroup problem - accessing shares asks for credentials

Homegroup problem - accessing shares asks for credentials: Well, this problem is making me NUTS... Several PCs in my store.. some running W7 starter, some W10 Home pro. A few days ago suddenly I could no longer access a folder on another W10 computer, where we tend to store a lot of important documents. The computer where the...
  5. Another Windows 10 HomeGroup problem

Another Windows 10 HomeGroup problem: Hi Several months ago I created a Home Group and all was working fine. I hadn't made use of it in a while and the password has since gone from my memory. The problem I'm having is I can see under the Network tab that both PC's are connected but I am unable to...
  6. Homegroup and Network Sharing problem after motherboard upgrade.

Homegroup and Network Sharing problem after motherboard upgrade.: Hi guys, I replaced my motherboard a couple of days ago and didn't go the route of doing a fresh install as is always suggested but everything is working fine except the Homegroup and Network sharing. Beforehand everything was sharing OK but now PC 1 can only see the...
  7. Homegroup problem (deeper than i thought)

Homegroup problem (deeper than i thought): Windows 10 both pc's. -I have a desktop pc ( I call it A) and a laptop (I call it B). In the past B was part of a homegroup (with another pc). B is not a part of any homegroup (i left the previous one). When i go to settings it says i can create a homegroup. Now about A....
  8. Problem connecting to other PC using Homegroup.

Problem connecting to other PC using Homegroup.: I have Windows 10 installed on my Laptop and I have connected it to my Desktop PC running Windows 7 using Homegroup. I have enabled Advanced Sharing but still I am unable to connect to my Desktop PC from Laptop. I am showing a video regarding this issue : j8K8fOcPEp4...
  9. Homegroup Problems - Again!!

Homegroup Problems - Again!!: My frustrations with Windows 10 homegroup issues are haunting me once again. After the latest (#1511) update, my 4-PC homegroup is once again not working. First, one of the PCs could not access the others. My next steps were as follows: 1, One by one, each PC left the...
  10. Several problem with homegroup

Several problem with homegroup: Hi, I have 2 PCs running Windows 10 (Computer A and Computer B). They are fully updates. Both computers are join to the same homegroup. I just create the homegroup. 1. What was Strange: If I was creating the homegroup on Computer B then Computer A was seeing the offer...