Windows 10: How best Sync (local) User Accounts across devices NOT using MS Cloud?

Discus and support How best Sync (local) User Accounts across devices NOT using MS Cloud? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi folks, In a Home/Small Office context I'd like to be able to synchronise my User Account info (UID, Username, Password, etc.) across several... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by IanBJ, Mar 13, 2020.

1. IanBJ Win User

How best Sync (local) User Accounts across devices NOT using MS Cloud?

Hi folks,
    In a Home/Small Office context I'd like to be able to synchronise my User Account info (UID, Username, Password, etc.) across several (Windows 10 and W7) laptops, a NAS, etc. but NOT by using Microsoft Accounts or One Cloud, or indeed any off-site solution. Installing an Active Directory Server (like a business/ enterprise setup) seems overkill and fiddly to maintain. Any advice/suggestions please?

I know I could use Microsoft's Windows 10's Sync features using MS Account users - but I really don't want to share my details/data with Microsoft!!!

Many thanks...

:)

IanBJ, Mar 13, 2020
  2. IanBJ Win User

Hi folks,
    In a Home/Small Office context I'd like to be able to synchronise my User Account info (UID, Username, Password, etc.) across several (Windows 10 and W7) laptops, a NAS, etc. but NOT by using Microsoft Accounts or One Cloud, or indeed any off-site solution. Installing an Active Directory Server (like a business/ enterprise setup) seems overkill and fiddly to maintain. Any advice/suggestions please?

I know I could use Microsoft's Windows 10's Sync features using MS Account users - but I really don't want to share my details/data with Microsoft!!!

Many thanks...

IanBJ, Mar 13, 2020
  3. Kari Win User
    Local Acct user and MS account user - sync them or merge them

If the local account is the one where you have most of your personal data, this is how I would do it:

• Sign in to your Microsoft account
    • Copy all documents, pictures and other personal data from Microsoft account's user folders to corresponding folders in user Public (contents of MS account Documents folder to Public Documents folder and so on)
    • Sign out from Microsoft account
    Notice that above steps are only required if Microsoft account user folders contain data you want to keep. If its user folders are empty or do not contain anything worth saving, you can skip the above steps. Continue from below.

• Sign in to the local account
    • Delete the Microsoft account (Option One in this tutorial)
    • Switch your local account to a Microsoft account (tutorial)
    • Copy the data backed up from old Microsoft account to Public folders to new Microsoft account in corresponding folders

That's it. Using the Public folders as temporary storage you will have none whatsoever file owner / permission issues later on.

4. chideock Win User

Local Acct user and MS account user - sync them or merge them

Thank you. I will give it a try later today and post my results.

Got to it sooner than I thought.
    Your method worked perfectly.

Thank you

chideock, Mar 13, 2020
Thema:

1. How best Sync (local) User Accounts across devices NOT using MS Cloud? - Similar Threads - best Sync local

2. How to create local MS User Account using powershell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to create local MS User Account using powershell: I know how to create or enable local account with MS Account using Settings UII know how to create local account with PowerShell or NET USER commandBUTIs there ANY WAY to create local, cloud enabled account Local Account binded to MS Account using PowerShell...
  3. How to create local MS User Account using powershell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to create local MS User Account using powershell: I know how to create or enable local account with MS Account using Settings UII know how to create local account with PowerShell or NET USER commandBUTIs there ANY WAY to create local, cloud enabled account Local Account binded to MS Account using PowerShell...
  4. Your Phone Companion App uses Cloud Sync or Sync Devices on local Network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Your Phone Companion App uses Cloud Sync or Sync Devices on local Network: I installed your phone companion app for the first time, and I am very concerned about privacy. I just wanted to know if this app syncs data with a cloud server or just sync devices over the local network....
  5. Your Phone Companion App uses Cloud Sync or Sync Devices on local Network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Your Phone Companion App uses Cloud Sync or Sync Devices on local Network: I installed your phone companion app for the first time, and I am very concerned about privacy. I just wanted to know if this app syncs data with a cloud server or just sync devices over the local network....
  6. Syncing across two MS accounts?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Syncing across two MS accounts?: HiI seem to have this situation. I've got Collections on my personal MS account - but they're all my business-related items, not my personal ones. I've got a different set of Collections on my work MS365 Business account - but they're all personal items that should be on the...
  7. How best Sync (local) User Accounts across devices NOT using MS Cloud?

in Windows 10 Support
    How best Sync (local) User Accounts across devices NOT using MS Cloud?: Hi folks, In a Home/Small Office context I'd like to be able to synchronise my User Account info (UID, Username, Password, etc.) across several (Windows 10 and W7) laptops, a NAS, etc. but NOT by using Microsoft Accounts or One Cloud, or indeed any off-site solution....
  8. Mail App Account Sync Across Devices

in Browsers and Email
    Mail App Account Sync Across Devices: Does anyone know if its possible to sync mail accounts from one device to another in W10? Using the mail app, configured 3 mail accounts on one computer. Was expecting the accounts to show up on my other W10 computer with sync on. Logging in with the same M$ account on both...
  9. Local Acct user and MS account user - sync them or merge them

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Local Acct user and MS account user - sync them or merge them: On my portable I have a local acct (administrator) and a MS acct (not administrator) users. I am the only user of this computer, a personal computer. I use the local acct 98% of the time. Is there a method to have the 2 accts synced(mirrored) so that MS acct has everything...
  10. Desktop syncing across multiple devices (MS based)

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop syncing across multiple devices (MS based): Hi all Just wondering if its possible to make multiple devices desktops look the same. For example if you change your desktop on your PC it could be made to automatically change on your other devices. Regards Josh 11725