Windows 10: How can I add programs to the All Apps start menu list?

Discus and support How can I add programs to the All Apps start menu list? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've tried the tutorial Here and it does not work. I'm trying to add the app 'DotA 2' and have put it in the \programdata\microsoft\windows\start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Mercarcher, Aug 4, 2015.

1. How can I add programs to the All Apps start menu list?

I've tried the tutorial Here and it does not work.

I'm trying to add the app 'DotA 2' and have put it in the \programdata\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs and then restarted my PC. It is still not showing up.

How can I add programs to the All Apps start menu list? [​IMG]

:)

Mercarcher, Aug 4, 2015

2. Show "All Programs" in Windows 10.

All Apps" does not have most of them. How can I add all programs to my start menu in Windows 10?

Rakibul ISLAMSajiv, Aug 4, 2015
  3. Show "All Programs" in Windows 10.

Rakibul ISLAMSajiv, Aug 4, 2015
  4. GenTer Win User

How can I add programs to the All Apps start menu list?

Same problem here. It just ends up pinning it to the right. :/

GenTer, Aug 4, 2015
  5. YOU
    You Win User
    put the shortcuts here: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    (the guide read is outdated-in previous versions of Windows, would put them in that directory)

6. GenTer Win User
    Yeahno. All that does for me is pin it to the start menu...

GenTer, Aug 4, 2015
  7. I did put it in C:\programdata\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs I mentioned this in my post and its shown in the pictures.

Mercarcher, Aug 4, 2015
  8. YOU
    You Win User

Oh. I'm sorry. I must've misread that as the appdata directory.

9. YOU
    You Win User
    When I place shortcuts in that folder, they appear in the All Apps. Try this directory, then: C:\users\r username\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

10. GenTer Win User
    Same. And even if I nest the shortcut under a preexisting folder, it only gets pinned to the start menu. Is there registry trickery that must be done? I wouldn't think such a trivial task would require that kind of brute force...

GenTer, Aug 4, 2015
  11. I'm trying to put them in the All Apps, they aren't going there even being in that folder. Any changes to file names in that folder update after I restart, but any new shortcuts do not get added.

Mercarcher, Aug 4, 2015
  12. GenTer Win User
    No matter where I place my shortcut, be it the root folder at %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs or any contained folder that was preexisting and added by a different program, the shortcut I want to add to All apps simply appears pinned on the right.

GenTer, Aug 4, 2015
  13. How can I add programs to the All Apps start menu list?

Try removing all of the shortcuts to DotA 2 from both
    All users Start menu (%AllUsersProfile%\....\Start menu) folder
    and
    Your Start menu (%AppData%\....\Start menu) folder

Create a new folder in either Start menu folder, but create it in the Programs subFolder - for the sake of this discussion, I'll call it GTapps
    Find the exe for DotA 2, right click it and select Create shortcut
    The shortcut might be created on your desktop.

Open Start menu\Programs\GTapps (this is the folder you created before)
    Drag the DotA 2 shortcut you created to the GTapps folder

You should have a GTapps folder in the Start list and DotA 2 should be in that folder. You can pin it to start or the taskbar if you wish.

The new Start has timestamps, so things have to be new to be recognized, moving things doesn't update the stamp. That's why I asked you to remove the other references to DotA 2 that you tried to get to work before. There is a Powershell that forces Windows to look again, but I can never locate it. It's just easier to create a new shorcut and put it in Start.

Slartybart, Aug 4, 2015
  14. I was unable to get it to recognize a new folder even after resetting my computer, I can however add it to already created folders on the list. Its a work around that will work as a temporary fix, but I would prefer a permanent one. Is there any way to create a new folder/add them just as the program?

Tried it with another program, does not work. Only reason I think the DotA 2 link worked is because it is in a subfolder for steam (the one folder I could get it to show up in) so I still can't get other programs that aren't in subfolders up.

Tried it with another program from a different subfolder and it didn't work. Not sure why the DotA 2 link even worked now.

Mercarcher, Aug 4, 2015
  15. Please elaborate on I was unable to get it to recognize a new folder

Do you mean
    the folder did not appear in the Start list
    - or -
    you could not create the folder

I add folders and shortcuts to the Start menu regularly. Once I figured out the time stamp thing (a new object shows up, a copied object might show up).

Please follow these steps exactly and post any problems you run into when they happen.

• Open Control Panel (View by: Small icons)

• Right click Indexing Options in Control Panel
      Select Create shortcut
      answer Yes when the dialog window tells you that the shortcut cannot be created here ....
      There should now be an Indexing Options shortcut on your Desktop

• Launch File Explorer
      Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
      Create a new folder named 10test
      Open the new 10test folder in File Explorer
      Drag the Indexing Options shortcut on your Desktop to the new 10test folder

• Open Start - the 10test folder should be at the top of the list and the Indexing Options shortcut is inside that folder.

That is the process I use.

There were issues with Start in some of the earlier Preview builds, but I haven't seen those in the Retail release.

If I recall, pinning something from the list to Start seemed to wake up the process. Try that if you don't see the 10test folder in the menu list.

That's about all I can think of.

Slartybart, Aug 4, 2015
Thema:

1. How can I add programs to the All Apps start menu list? - Similar Threads - add programs Apps

2. How to add a program to the start menu?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to add a program to the start menu?: I'm trying to configure the Windows 11 start menu to work the way I want. I found these instructions for adding a program to the menu:1. Click the Start button on the task bar.2. Click All Apps.3. Right click the app I want to add. Windows opens a context menu which, in the...
  3. How to add a program to the start menu?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to add a program to the start menu?: I'm trying to configure the Windows 11 start menu to work the way I want. I found these instructions for adding a program to the menu:1. Click the Start button on the task bar.2. Click All Apps.3. Right click the app I want to add. Windows opens a context menu which, in the...
  4. How to Add or Remove All Apps List in Start Menu on Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Add or Remove All Apps List in Start Menu on Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]PC users can display and use the Start menu with a feature called Show App List In Start Menu. The Show App List In Start Menu is enabled by default. In this post, we will show you the thre ways on how to Add or Remove All Apps List in Start Menu on Windows 11/10. […]...
  5. how to add a program to the list of programs that will start when windows starts

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to add a program to the list of programs that will start when windows starts: I want to learn how to add a program to the list of programs that will start when windows starts. As an exercise and to describe the steps to take, I tried to add a program called Keepass. Here are the steps I took: 1. click start/search msconfig [ATTACH] 2. click...
  6. How can I add a program or app to the list of apps that get notifications?

How can I add a program or app to the list of apps that get notifications?: I used to get notifications from a certain program I have installed, a security program. It had a function called "battery mode" which was set to come on when the battery was below 30% (set by me). So in a way it was a reminder that I should plug it in soon. I tried looking...
  7. Cannot add shortcuts to Apps list in start menu

Cannot add shortcuts to Apps list in start menu: So, I've been trying to add a few things to the app list in the start menu for a while now. Every site I've gone to says to put the shortcuts in "%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs". I have done that multiple times, checked to make sure the shortcuts were pointed...
  8. Unable to add to All apps list in Start Menu

Unable to add to All apps list in Start Menu: I can place a new folder or custom shortcut in the correct start menu location (current user or all users) but it will not appear in the All apps list. If I go to the folder or shortcut and right-click Pin to Start it will appear as a tile in the start menu, but still will...
  9. How do I add a new folder to the All Apps list in start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I add a new folder to the All Apps list in start menu: Hiya...I created a new folder in the start menu folder but it does not show in the All Apps List? 58936
  10. Add or Remove All Apps List in Start Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove All Apps List in Start Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove All Apps List in Start Menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove All Apps List in Start Menu in Windows 10 All apps in the Start menu displays an alphabetical list of all your installed Windows apps and desktop apps in Windows 10. Some of these apps...