Windows 10: How can I change the name of my Ethernet connection?

Discus and support How can I change the name of my Ethernet connection? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I had the ethernet cable connected to the wifi router when I was setting it up, and this has led the name to stick with the default name given... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Hoggorm, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Hoggorm Win User

How can I change the name of my Ethernet connection?

Hi,

I had the ethernet cable connected to the wifi router when I was setting it up, and this has led the name to stick with the default name given by Linksys: Linksys82501

I would like to change this so that it displays my Wifi name instead. Can this be done?

Selecting Change name in the properties only gives the option to change the name Ethernet...

How can I change the name of my Ethernet connection? [​IMG]

:)

Hoggorm, Oct 18, 2017

2. How can i change the name on one of my computer users account running Microsoft windows 10

I have several users in my computer and I created an account for them that I need to change the account's name but don't know how to do it. Im runnong windoews 10 can you help?

ENRIQUERIVERA0014, Oct 18, 2017
  3. How can I change the name of the volume?

Hi Yorkie,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click on Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type bcdedit and press Enter
      key.
    NOTE:
    This will let you see what the name of the {current} operating system name is. This will be the operating system that you are currently in (ex:
    Windows 10 volume)
    under description.

• Now type the following command and press enter.

bcdedit /set {current} Description "name you want"

• In the elevated command prompt, type
      bcdedit and press enter.
    NOTE: This will let you see and verify the new name of the {current} operating system.

Now, restart the computer, your specified Operating System will be listed in Windows Boot manager.

Hope it helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further query, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Oct 18, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

You are showing your Ethernet adapter as it states. It is always going to show the Gateway or Smartswitch name. Your Wifi would show or should show SSID.

bro67, Oct 19, 2017
  5. Hoggorm Win User
    I see...

It is somewhat strange though that when I connect another computer (a laptop) using the same physical cable I can see the Wifi name (SSID).

Do you know how I can change the Gateway name in my Linksys E2500 router?

Hoggorm, Oct 19, 2017
  6. Hoggorm Win User
    I just changed my SSID to something completely different.

PC 1 still shows as above Linksys82501
    PC 2 shows my old SSID name
    And both show the correct SSID name when on Wifi...

It does not sound like something that comes from the router. To me it sounds as if the name is given by Windows..?

If I'm wrong I'd be happy to know how I can change this in my router settings.

Hoggorm, Oct 19, 2017
  7. Plankton Win User
  8. Hoggorm Win User

Thank you Plankton - this solved the problem *Smile

Hoggorm, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How can I change the name of my Ethernet connection? - Similar Threads - change name Ethernet

2. How can i change my disk name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can i change my disk name: I download a game and it automatically changed the local disk e name and now I can not change it again. It also changed the logo Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-change-my-disk-name/c235f49f-dd73-46e6-ac12-f709d614245f
  3. How can i change my disk name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can i change my disk name: I download a game and it automatically changed the local disk e name and now I can not change it again. It also changed the logo Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-change-my-disk-name/c235f49f-dd73-46e6-ac12-f709d614245f
  4. how can i change my user name ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how can i change my user name ?: How can i change this Name ? whenever i logged in by Microsoft Acccount, user name showing "saifm".i want to keep only "Saif" not "saifm". i want to keep this change permanently. Like, whenever I log in, my username should show "Saif"...
  5. The name of my wired Ethernet connection keeps changing.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The name of my wired Ethernet connection keeps changing.: So I have had my computer connected to different routers in the past when I would take my computer to my parents place or to a friends. I know when it is connected to a new port it gives it a higher numbered Ethernet name. I think the last time I checked it was Ethernet 8....
  6. Name on my Ethernet Connection

Name on my Ethernet Connection: Under Network Connections, this is is what it says on my ethernet connection: Ethernet 118Vit24 Realtek PCle BGE Family Controller I understand how to change the name. Change "Ethernet" to anything I want. However, where did it get the 118Vit24? That is the name of...
  7. How do I rename or reset my ethernet connection name?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I rename or reset my ethernet connection name?: [ATTACH] The past few weeks I have been connected to multiple routers for testing purposes using an ethernet cable. Now this page in settings shows my current connection as Network 8, but it used to be just Network. How can I reset this name without reinstalling Windows?...
  8. Change name of Ethernet connection

Change name of Ethernet connection: How do I change the Name of my Ethernet Connection? Currently it has the same name as my WiFi 2.4Ghz connection ( have a dual band router so I also have a 5Ghz connection). [img] I know how to rename my Local Area Connection: netsh interface set interface name="Local...
  9. How can I change the name of my computer?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I change the name of my computer?: I just purchased a new computer, set it up, and then found out it's name is Janet! My name is JANE, my last name begins with the letter "T", but my name is not Janet, it's Jane. Many things that I use, including C:\Users, refer to me as Janet, but that's not my name. Please...
  10. Ethernet connection - How do you change the name of the connection.

Ethernet connection - How do you change the name of the connection.: How do you change the name of your Ethernet wired connection? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ethernet-connection-how-do-you-change-the-name-of/6905a661-9209-4c2e-88fe-e9642bdca2c7