Windows 10: How can I disable automatic updates?

Discus and support How can I disable automatic updates? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I would have thought Windows 10 was intelligent enough to abide by the "active hours" criteria in update settings. However, I cam into my business... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by burgertime, Sep 21, 2016.

1. How can I disable automatic updates?

I would have thought Windows 10 was intelligent enough to abide by the "active hours" criteria in update settings. However, I cam into my business today at 2pm(active hours set for 8-5), all to find my system said it was preparing to install updates. Must have been a huge update too, because it took 42 minutes until I got to my desktop, and I'm furious.*Mad

How can I disable automatic updates so that this might never happen again?

Thanks.

:)

burgertime, Sep 21, 2016
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Sep 21, 2016
  3. How can I disable the Automatic switching of an audio device when I plug some thing in?

I have Windows 10 pro and I would like to disable the automatic switching between sound devices when i plug some thing in.. I like to manually control my audio devices...

Can some one help me with disabling this annoying feature?

LorenTedford, Sep 21, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

How can I disable automatic updates?

Brink, Sep 21, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, Active hours is intended to constrain the restart (if any) required for an update.
    Thus if the update does not require a restart, it will proceed. At least that's my understanding.

"If you want to feel totally assured that Windows 10 won't restart your computer and install updates (note the order) while you're busy working, you'll be pleased to know about the Active Hours feature that Microsoft has added in the Anniversary Update (rolling out on Tuesday, August 2). Mind you, Windows 10 is already pretty good about understanding when your PC is in use, so as not to disrupt your activities with an update. In my experience, most Windows restarts are scheduled for early in the morning when you’re not likely to be using your PC.

You can also schedule the update to be installed at a specific time. Even so, Microsoft is giving users even more control over the update process. "

You can inhibit downloads of updates by setting your connection (Wifi or ethernet) as 'metered' in Settings - even if it's not.

See
    Windows Update Automatic Updates - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Now, if you are reliant on Windows Defender, this receives updates via Windows Updates- so won't be updated if you disable this.

To get round that you can set up yor own scheduled task to update Defender.

dalchina, Sep 21, 2016
  6. burgertime, Sep 21, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That's ok. You can use Option 4 or 5 in the Home edition if you like.

Brink, Sep 21, 2016
  8. How can I disable automatic updates?

Can't believe I didn't see there were more than 3 options. Thank you very much.

burgertime, Sep 21, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. I hope it will help.

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How can I disable automatic updates?

1. How can I disable automatic updates? - Similar Threads - disable automatic updates

2. How do I completely disable automatic updates?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I completely disable automatic updates?: Hey, it's me again. No issues this time. This is more of an inquiry. How can I disable automatic updates for good? I have them paused right now because of that faulty security update, and I would like to permanently halt automatic updates. I don't trust them anymore and they...
  3. How do I completely disable automatic updates?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I completely disable automatic updates?: Hey, it's me again. No issues this time. This is more of an inquiry. How can I disable automatic updates for good? I have them paused right now because of that faulty security update, and I would like to permanently halt automatic updates. I don't trust them anymore and they...
  4. How do I completely disable automatic updates?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How can I disable automatic startup of the Surface app?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I disable automatic startup of the Surface app?: My Surface Laptop Studio came shipped with the Surface app. It helped me set up my Surface peripherals like the Surface Slim Pen. Great stuff.What's bugging me, is the fact that after some update, this app seems to start automatically. It shows that I have a Windows update to...
  6. How can I disable automatic startup of the Surface app?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I disable automatic startup of the Surface app?: My Surface Laptop Studio came shipped with the Surface app. It helped me set up my Surface peripherals like the Surface Slim Pen. Great stuff.What's bugging me, is the fact that after some update, this app seems to start automatically. It shows that I have a Windows update to...
  7. How to disable windows automatic updates?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to disable windows automatic updates?: What is the best way to disable windows 10 from automatically restarting for updates in 2020 without risk of losing data or other things? I tried disabling windows updates in services. I have a windows home, so no using group editing policies to stop updates, which was one...
  8. How do I permanently disable automatic updates?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I permanently disable automatic updates?: I had 17 tabs open in an Incognito tab all about different things for my jeep. I've been trying to work on it and it's taken me a few days to get all the information I need so I can mess with the headlights, jack, and a couple of other things without the fear of messing...
  9. how do I disable automatic updates?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do I disable automatic updates?: the latest update(yesterday) disabled my Kaspersky app, and greyed out my button to reactivate it. Had to do a very slow system restore. How can I disable autoupdates ?...
  10. How can I disable automatic driver / device installation?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How can I disable automatic driver / device installation?: Hi. This is not exactly win 10 specific question, i had same problem in win 7, but now that i'm on win 10, that problem is still there. here's what's going on: I have high-end gaming PC with GTX 980 and 4k monitor and 1080p monitor as secondary. 4k Monitor is connected...