Windows 10: How can I make Cortana use Firefox and Google search engine?

Discus and support How can I make Cortana use Firefox and Google search engine? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; It's really pissing me off that they won't let us do this. Can't I edit the file like the registry? Any help? 76448 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by McSweg, Feb 2, 2017.

1. McSweg Win User

How can I make Cortana use Firefox and Google search engine?

It's really pissing me off that they won't let us do this. Can't I edit the file like the registry? Any help?

:)

McSweg, Feb 2, 2017

2. Why does Cortana use Google on my laptop, but Bing on my other devices?

UPDATE! I've now solved this for myself, and have Cortana using Google in Firefox on ALL my devices. Since I can't mark my own reply as an answer, you'll have to scroll down to it to see the solution. (It's the one from me, dated August
    17th 2015)

I've seen a lot of people moaning that Cortana searches with Bing, and they want to change it to Google, and I was always confused because for me, she does use Google.

Then I realised that's only on my laptop.

On the family desktop, and on my Surface Pro (yes, 1st gen.) she still uses Bing.

I haven't got any special software installed on my laptop to force her to use Google.

I don't have Firefox set up to redirect Bing to Google, as some people gave as a way to change Cortana's search engine.

I haven't changed any settings anywhere to make Cortana use Google.

So why does she use Google?

And why only on my laptop?

I hope someone can answer this, as it might help people figure out how to change Cortana's search engine.

Estragon Helmer, Feb 2, 2017
  3. Why does Cortana use Google on my laptop, but Bing on my other devices?

For all those wondering, I figured out why I can use Google with Cortana on my laptop!

My laptop was running a newer version of Firefox than my other devices, and since updating, my other devices can not use Google with Cortana, too.

The latest Firefox has an option under: Tools > Options, and then Search for it.

Pick a default search provider and then tick the box marked "Use this search engine for searches from Windows" and then whenever Cortana or Search has to search the web, it'll use your chosen search provider. (assuming you use Firefox as your default browser,
    of course)

I don't know if any other browsers have this option yet. Although Microsoft Edge can use a custom choice of search with it's built-in version of Cortana, at least, so if that's your default browser, it'll probably open searches in that chosen search provider.

Estragon Helmer, Feb 2, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

@McSweg, Welcome to TenForums.

Microsoft have apparently blocked all the previously known ways of weaning Cortana from Edge/Bing, saying last April...
    Delivering Personalized Search Experiences in Windows 10 through Cortana - Windows Experience BlogWindows Experience Blog

There is of course nothing stopping you opening Firefox and searching with Google, just not from Cortana.

The one and only concession is that you can still choose to launch IE instead of Edge from Cortana.
    Cortana Web Search Results - Show in MS Edge or Internet Explorer

Bree, Feb 2, 2017
  5. McSweg Win User
    How is that possible? Can't you edit a file in windows to make it open something else? That's not fair *Sad

McSweg, Feb 2, 2017
  6. Edwin New Member
    You need to compile a redirect script and use 'Chrometana' extension in Chrome.

How can I make Cortana use Firefox and Google search engine? [​IMG]

Edwin, Feb 2, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    Does this work on 1607?

I thought chrometana no longer worked.

cereberus, Feb 2, 2017
  8. flybynite Win User

Install Chrometana in Chrome, and choose Google. Download this zip file Code: MEGA and extract the contents to C:\Customizations\CortanaSearch. Then open Task Scheduler, and import the xml file. Restart. Cortana will now search in Chrome with Google. Edge will briefly open first, then close. This is unavoidable.

flybynite, Feb 2, 2017
  9. McSweg Win User
    But I don't want to use Chrome, I do not like it.

McSweg, Feb 2, 2017
  10. Edwin New Member
    Edwin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How can I make Cortana use Firefox and Google search engine? - Similar Threads - Cortana Firefox Google

2. How do I change default search engine used by Search box to Google

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I change default search engine used by Search box to Google: Although I have Google set as the default browser, whenever I type a search in the Search box at the bottom left, the search result is displayed as a Bing result. This seems to have become more of an issue after today's Windows update (15 August 2021). Now running Windows 10...
  3. How to make the search bar use Google?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to make the search bar use Google?: How do i use google for both image and text search? I already have google Chrome as the default browser but it keeps using bing on edge, setting google to default engine on edge doesn't work I'm fine with using edge but is there a way to use google for the search bar? If...
  4. Can I change the search engine of Cortana ?

in Cortana
    Can I change the search engine of Cortana ?: I want to change search engine of Cortana from Bing to Google bcoz I do not like image search of Bing, it do not give the result that I want https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-change-the-search-engine-of-cortana/70111996-22d6-4cd7-bf0f-347470c5a73c
  5. Google Chrome Search Engine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Google Chrome Search Engine: Today on Google Chrome I noticed the search engine had changed to Yahoo! and going into setting I was unable to change it back to Chrome/ uninstall Yahoo! I went to the list of programs on my pc and tried uninstalling Search Powered by Yahoo! but it didnt work either. Is...
  6. How do I make Google my search engine?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I make Google my search engine?: Just got this new DELL tower. How do I make Google my search engine and open to Google? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-make-google-my-search-engine/03cd02ef-58cd-4f04-8bba-89aa41944ffe
  7. How to change my cortana search engine.

in Cortana
    How to change my cortana search engine.: How to change my cortana search engine. Please someone help me with this. But at the time of setup of cortana i noticed that it asked for an option to choose between chrome and microsoft edge browsers....
  8. How to make Cortana search in Google then Bing

How to make Cortana search in Google then Bing: Hello, I would like to know how to make Cortana search in Google rather then Bing. I have changed the default browser to Firefox. Used the EdgeDeflector program to use Firefox instead of Edge. Added Google to Bing Firefox addon. If I make a search via Cortana and I...
  9. Easy way to make Cortana use Google for (Chrome) browser searches

Easy way to make Cortana use Google for (Chrome) browser searches: If like me, you prefer to use Google for searching (and if your default browser is Chrome), there are a couple of extensions that will redirect Cortana's Bing search to Google. Seems to work well so far. The one I've tried is called "Bing2Google." I would assume there...
  10. 2 in one. No Ethernet and How to make Cortana search Google?

in Windows 10 Support
    2 in one. No Ethernet and How to make Cortana search Google?: I have no Ethernet what so ever... I updated everything I could including the Ethernet from ASUS. I get limited connection. 9324