Windows 10: How can I prevent automatic updates?

Discus and support How can I prevent automatic updates? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; It doesn't look like I can set my Verizon connection as metered. Looks like that can only be done with WiFi. Only WiFi has a 'metered connection'... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by stonefly, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Bree New Member

How can I prevent automatic updates?

Only WiFi has a 'metered connection' switch visible in Settings, but all types of connections can be set as metered if you edit the registry. Presumably your Verizon USB modem appears to Windows as if it's an Ethernet connection. If so then the instructions here will work. There are two .reg files you can download that will switch 'metered' on or off for Ethernet.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

2. stonefly Win User

Ah yes, 14393.

stonefly, Dec 12, 2016
  3. stonefly Win User
    I made it to the box titled "select user or group". There is a place to enter text (Enter the object name to select) and it has a blinking cursor. Do I type "Administrator"?

stonefly, Dec 12, 2016
  4. MPSAN Win User

Can't we use gpedit.msc and set windows update to never check or update? That is in the tutorial under W. If so, can we then go to settings whenever we want and force an update even if this option is configured?

MPSAN, Dec 12, 2016
  5. SonicBlue Win User
    I believe that it was removed in Win 10 Home.

SonicBlue, Dec 13, 2016
  6. Bree New Member
    If you are at 'Step 4. Change the owner of the DefaultMediaCost registry key...' then you want to set it for the Administrators group, not the Administrator account (note the 's' on the end on the name). Type Adminstrators then click the 'Check Names' button.

7. MPSAN Win User
    OK, I have Pro. However, do a Google search and you can see how to add Group Policy Editor to Windows 10 Home version.

MPSAN, Dec 13, 2016
  8. stonefly Win User

Okay I did that. It says it cannot be found.

stonefly, Dec 13, 2016
  9. SonicBlue Win User
    You can but it won't work.

SonicBlue, Dec 13, 2016
  10. stonefly Win User
    Somehow I got it to go to Administrators and I allowed Administrators full control. Now I can't get it to go back to TrustedInstaller. I don't know what I did.

stonefly, Dec 13, 2016
  11. Bree New Member
    Can you confirm you are stuck at 'Step 4...' If so, you should be seeing this...

How can I prevent automatic updates? [​IMG]

When the 'Check names' button comes back saying it can't be found it may be down to a spelling mistake. First check that 'Select the object type:' includes 'Group' - if not, click the 'Object types...' button and tick Groups. 'From this location:' should be the name of your PC. Try typing administrators again.

If it still cannot be found, click the 'Advanced...' button. Again, make sure Groups is included in the object types then click the Find Now button. You should get a list of groups from which you can choose Administrators.

12. stonefly Win User
    Okay I got it changed back. I had to copy and paste from your post in order for it to work. It worked. Onward.

stonefly, Dec 13, 2016
  13. stonefly Win User

I did it. I got Ethernet marked as metered. Thanks, Bree.

stonefly, Dec 13, 2016
  14. stonefly Win User
    I have the Set_Ethernet_as_non-metered_connection.reg on desktop. If I want to pick a day and time to download updates, then I finish steps 11-13. Correct?

stonefly, Dec 13, 2016
  15. Bree New Member
    Glad we got there in the end. *Smile

No, it even easier than that. I leave my WiFi as metered permanently. At a time of my choosing I got to Settings > Update and Security and 'check for updates'. This works as normal up to the point it would start the download (in fact, the automatic check for updates still works on a metered connection, you may get a notification saying 'updates are available but we can't download them'). It then says 'we won't download while you are on a metered connection...' but provides a 'Download' button to download anyway. Just click 'Download' and the updates will download and install as normal. Actually, I've just had to this as a new cumulative update has just been released.

Note that Defender won't automatically update its definitions on a metered connection. You should regularly open Defender and update manually from its own 'Update' tab (you'll get a notification for this too if you leave it too long).

Thema:

1. How can I prevent automatic updates? - Similar Threads - prevent automatic updates

2. How can I find/prevent automatic computer restart?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I find/prevent automatic computer restart?: Hello I recently joined the IT department as a technician, I have laptops HP ProBook 455 G7 that automatically restart during use and close all applications. I use Windows 11 Pro version 22H2.I've even disabled automatic restart on system error in settings but it still hasn't...
  3. How can I find/prevent automatic computer restart?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I find/prevent automatic computer restart?: Hello I recently joined the IT department as a technician, I have laptops HP ProBook 455 G7 that automatically restart during use and close all applications. I use Windows 11 Pro version 22H2.I've even disabled automatic restart on system error in settings but it still hasn't...
  4. How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 11?: amd error when windows update driver https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-prevent-automatic-updating-a-specific/5dec9048-21cb-43c1-b9ad-ea5fc3485f6b
  5. How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 11?: amd error when windows update driver https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-prevent-automatic-updating-a-specific/5dec9048-21cb-43c1-b9ad-ea5fc3485f6b
  6. How to prevent updates from downloading automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent updates from downloading automatically: Once again, MS takes choices away from its customers. How can I set Updates to notify me, but NOT download automatically? I use the Standalone Installer. We don't all want to hand total control to the programmers at MS, nor to allow whatever vendor files the vendor feels like...
  7. How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 10 Home?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 10 Home?: Hello to everybody, I have Realtek 8822CE wireless adapter installed in my Lenovo IdeaPad Laptop running Windows 10 Home, build 10.0.19042. I'm not able to connect to my home WiFi network with two latest versions of Realtek drivers 2024.0.8.129 of 04.11.2020 is the latest...
  8. How can I prevent Windows from automatically updating?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How can I prevent Windows from automatically updating?: Yesterday a window popped up giving me only two choices, now or in one hour. There was no option to stop it altogether. First of all, I had no proof that it wasn't malware. And while I'd stepped away from my desk, it automatically started the upgrade which forced me to sit...
  9. How can I prevent Windows Update from automatically installing feature updates but still...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I prevent Windows Update from automatically installing feature updates but still...: I'm planning to install the first version of Windows 10 on my PC because the later versions use more RAM even if there is no apps are open. Now don't lecture me on features that I am missing and security features because I know what I am doing. I just need to prevent Windows...
  10. how to prevent automatic windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to prevent automatic windows update: I wish to check what the windows update does and only install ones I want. There are too many that I do not need. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-prevent-automatic-windows-update/55cf74a6-0ead-460c-8dc7-71a6e3ac95cb