Windows 10: how do I add an app from my computer to the start menu?

Discus and support how do I add an app from my computer to the start menu? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; how do I add an app from my computer to the start menu?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by BrianLake, Sep 20, 2018.

1. BrianLake Win User

how do I add an app from my computer to the start menu?

:)

BrianLake, Sep 20, 2018

2. Windows 10 Start menu is empty

Hi. Steps 1 and 2 didn't do much but step 3 has restored what looks like the list of original Microsoft apps but no sign of any of the many apps I have installed. And there are no tiles in the start menu. Any suggestions please?

LesGrant42, Sep 20, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Start Menu all apps / tiles missing

So I woke my computer up from sleep last night and this is what I was welcomed with:

how do I add an app from my computer to the start menu? [​IMG]

All of a sudden my start menu had no apps listed and no live tiles to speak of. So I did my googleing and I found this microsoft answer page: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...0-b988cd6da49a

I tried every step in their. After all said and done, I got installed programs to show up, but the live tiles that usually show to the right did not come back. I was ok with that, thinking I would work on this today and find a solution to that problem.

I just woke up the computer again from sleep and the start menu is blank AGAIN. Before this started happening last night, I have not installed any new software nor has windows ran any updates.

I'm at a loss. I tried system recovery and to roll back to a few days prior, but I keep getting an error after recovery is attempted stating that windows recovery wasn't able to fully complete due to a certain file (i can retry recovery and post picture of error if needed).

So any suggestions on whats my next step? I thought maybe I had a malware issue, but II have avast and malware antibytes installed and they showed no hits when the scans where run.

Any suggestions or guidance is greatly appreciated. Hope you all have a Great Turkey Day!

PS, I have to work today from 4pm to 6am, so If I do not reply right away I apologize.

Dalumberjack03, Sep 20, 2018
  4. how do I add an app from my computer to the start menu?

Add or Remove Items for All Apps in Start menu in Windows 10  

Hi, @Brink:

My caffeine titer is low, so I must be missing some blatant, basic step to add a shortcut to my account's All Apps list in the Start menu (Option1).
    The new process both for creating shortcuts and for adding/removing items to the Win10 start menu has me flummoxed.
    Your tutorials are always "topnotch", so this must be a cockpit error on my part.

>I would like to follow the suggestion on page 1 of the wushowhide.diagcab tutorial to add a shortcut in All Apps for my account.

I have d/l the wushowhide.diagcab and saved it to my downloads folder.
    I have done Step 1 on Page 1 of THIS tutorial to navigate to the Start Menu Programs folder.
    But HOW do I actually complete Step 3 to create a shortcut and then add it to the Start Menu "All Apps"??

I think I need to first somehow create a shortcut for the .cab file and then add it to All Apps in the start menu???

Please advise.

Thanks!
    MM

P.S. I have been postponing the probably inevitable installation of Class Shell.
    I would rather not have to install a 3rd-party program to be able to perform basic Windows tasks.
    But this new workflow in Win10 for a basic functionality might force me to do it.
    Sigh.

MoxieMomma, Sep 20, 2018
Thema:

1. how do I add an app from my computer to the start menu? - Similar Threads - add app computer

2. How do I clear the "top apps" from the Start Menu?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I clear the "top apps" from the Start Menu?: Hello, when I open the search box, I see this: [ATTACH] Those apps have been here a pretty long time, and I very rarely use Edge too. Is there a way to change it or clear it?...
  3. How do I add more groups to the start menu?

How do I add more groups to the start menu?: So far I have a Productivity category and one that was unnamed. In case you don't know what I'm referring to it's the category lines in the 'squares' part of the Start Menu....
  4. How do I add items to the start menu?

How do I add items to the start menu?: I've purchased a bunch of games from Good old Games, which puts the games in a folder called gog.com with each game in it's own folder. This is fine for Windows 7 and earlier, but the Windows 10 start menu combines all those subfolders into one big folder. There are a dozen...
  5. How do I add things that aren't apps to the start menu on Win 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I add things that aren't apps to the start menu on Win 10?: I've just upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 and I used to have the start menu pinned with shortcuts to things I used frequently. Like a shortcut straight to the "change when PC sleeps" setting and a shortcut to the Windows update checker but I can't seem to pin anything but apps...
  6. How do I add more catagories to the start menu?

How do I add more catagories to the start menu?: It only has 2 productivity is the first I forgot the second. But I hate only having 2 catagorys in the start menu. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-add-more-catagories-to-the-start-menu/6292318f-6618-4329-bff0-5772f6bc1b13
  7. How do I add a file to the Start menu

How do I add a file to the Start menu: How do I add a file to the Start menu https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-add-a-file-to-the-start-menu/a58fa96e-0e1a-4161-8229-65bb9f52e184
  8. add "This Computer" on start menu

add "This Computer" on start menu: can I add "This Computer" on start menu, above the option "setting" 19725
  9. How do I restore Start Menu Apps

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How do I restore Start Menu Apps: Over time, I've deleted almost all the Apps that showed in the Start menu. Now I'd like to put them all back and set the Start Menu so it shows all the original Apps. I've run this command from a Elevated Power Shell several times and it runs to completion then stops and...
  10. How do I add a new folder to the All Apps list in start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I add a new folder to the All Apps list in start menu: Hiya...I created a new folder in the start menu folder but it does not show in the All Apps List? 58936