Windows 10: How do I add items to the start menu?

Discus and support How do I add items to the start menu? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've purchased a bunch of games from Good old Games, which puts the games in a folder called gog.com with each game in it's own folder. This is fine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by SlickRCBD, Dec 27, 2019.

1. SlickRCBD Win User

How do I add items to the start menu?

I've purchased a bunch of games from Good old Games, which puts the games in a folder called gog.com with each game in it's own folder.

This is fine for Windows 7 and earlier, but the Windows 10 start menu combines all those subfolders into one big folder. There are a dozen files called "Manual", and I have no idea which game each "manual" file is for. Also finding the appropriate item to start a game is a hunt.

So, I decided to stick all the actual game launch items in a new folder called "games2" and later tried another folder called games3 in case there was a permissions issue.

However, only two of the games are showing up. I'm editing

c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\

What did I do wrong? You can see in the picture that there are a lot more games than shown, although not all of them are from GOG, I just put the all in one place similar to the Vista/7 Games menu but more like XP.

How do I add items to the start menu? 6e921b92-0c8d-4b8f-b3c3-d32a75f57eea?upload=true.jpg

:)

SlickRCBD, Dec 27, 2019

2. Add or Remove Items for All Apps in Start menu in Windows 10  

Hi, @Brink:

My caffeine titer is low, so I must be missing some blatant, basic step to add a shortcut to my account's All Apps list in the Start menu (Option1).
    The new process both for creating shortcuts and for adding/removing items to the Win10 start menu has me flummoxed.
    Your tutorials are always "topnotch", so this must be a cockpit error on my part.

>I would like to follow the suggestion on page 1 of the wushowhide.diagcab tutorial to add a shortcut in All Apps for my account.

I have d/l the wushowhide.diagcab and saved it to my downloads folder.
    I have done Step 1 on Page 1 of THIS tutorial to navigate to the Start Menu Programs folder.
    But HOW do I actually complete Step 3 to create a shortcut and then add it to the Start Menu "All Apps"??

I think I need to first somehow create a shortcut for the .cab file and then add it to All Apps in the start menu???

Please advise.

Thanks!
    MM

P.S. I have been postponing the probably inevitable installation of Class Shell.
    I would rather not have to install a 3rd-party program to be able to perform basic Windows tasks.
    But this new workflow in Win10 for a basic functionality might force me to do it.
    Sigh.

MoxieMomma, Dec 27, 2019
  3. dhoshaw Win User
    No Fan Control menu item in ATITool 0.26

.27b3 problems with 8800GT 256MB

I tried the .27b3 and encountered some problems.
    • Default profile comes up 0.00 / 0.00
    • App hard locks
    • Still no fan menu
    In the setup menu the following items appear:
    • Overclocking
    • Artifact scanning
    • Temperature monitoring
    • Gamma control
    • Startup
    • 3D-detection
    • Driver tweeks
    • Miscellaneous
    I'm running XP SP2 running NVIDIA 169.21 drivers.

The device details are displayed correctly now.

Regards,

dhoshaw, Dec 27, 2019
  4. dalchina Win User

Where do you find the list of items pinned to the start menu?

A reasonable 'guess' following a couple of simple experiments suggests the registry:

How do I add items to the start menu? [​IMG]

- note the name there.

- unless the data is held where access is restricted e.g. the WindowsApps folder.

dalchina, Dec 27, 2019
Thema:

1. How do I add items to the start menu? - Similar Threads - add items start

2. How Do I Add An Item ...

in Windows 10 Support
    How Do I Add An Item ...: ... here? (image attached) - ... and remove item from same? 179957
  3. How do I further customize the pinned items in the start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I further customize the pinned items in the start menu?: [ATTACH] I'd like to add a picture to the background of some of these programs, sorta like live tile. Is there a way to do that? (Also, the 2 covered tiles are the weather and photos tiles) A lot of the shortcuts just have the default accent color, which I don't like....
  4. How to add an item in the rightclick menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to add an item in the rightclick menu: I want to add an item in the rightclick menu, such as open command prompt here, when I click on a folder. How should I archeive that? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-add-an-item-in-the-rightclick-menu/6e343c06-711b-4070-aafc-ed00f225d5f4
  5. How do I add more groups to the start menu?

How do I add more groups to the start menu?: So far I have a Productivity category and one that was unnamed. In case you don't know what I'm referring to it's the category lines in the 'squares' part of the Start Menu....
  6. How do I add more catagories to the start menu?

How do I add more catagories to the start menu?: It only has 2 productivity is the first I forgot the second. But I hate only having 2 catagorys in the start menu. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-add-more-catagories-to-the-start-menu/6292318f-6618-4329-bff0-5772f6bc1b13
  7. How do I add a file to the Start menu

How do I add a file to the Start menu: How do I add a file to the Start menu https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-add-a-file-to-the-start-menu/a58fa96e-0e1a-4161-8229-65bb9f52e184
  8. add items in menu Start

add items in menu Start: Hi to whom it may concern. I know how to insert one icon in Start Menu or in application bar but I don't know to insert VLC media reader icon in the list of Apps at left of Start Menu. Could you tell me how to do it? Thank you and Best Regards, Dario...
  9. How do I get flyouts to show on start menu items?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I get flyouts to show on start menu items?: Folks, I do not show any of the flyouts (the right caret >) on my start menu items like file explorer or Control Panel. I am sure I turned them off somewhere along the way but not sure where. [img] 2120
  10. How do I add an item to the SEND TO context menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I add an item to the SEND TO context menu?: Lets say I right-click a folder in Windows Explorer. I want to be able to Send To -> My_Program When I Send To, can I assume that the item clicked is sent in variable %1 ? 65257