Windows 10: How do I change a dual boot into a single boot PC

Discus and support How do I change a dual boot into a single boot PC in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Perhaps my explanation wasn't clear. I want to install all the programs I want on Partition F (while booted into it). This is my clean install. When... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018.

1. NavyLCDR New Member

How do I change a dual boot into a single boot PC

In that case, just boot into the OS that you want to be permanent, and when you are ready to remove the other OS, then run MSCONFIG, go to the boot tab and delete the entry for the OS you no longer want.

How do I change a dual boot into a single boot PC [​IMG]

Then you can use your preferred partitioning program (or disk management) to either reformat or delete the old OS partition you no longer want.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
  2. Nisko Win User

I have a 1TB SSD for a hard drive. It has a partition for the OS I use all the time which takes up about half the space on my physical drive. It also has a partition with a clean install of Windows 10 which takes up roughly half the remaining space on the physical drive. I also have a Drive D: which contains my data. My intention is to place all my programs on the clean install partition F:. When I am satisfied, I want to delete the current OS I am using and switch over to the clean install. My question is: How do I now make Drive F: clean install = Drive C:? Then, I would like to clear out all data from the old install Drive F: and create that to be a clean install (again, it will now be Drive F: .Thank you!

:)

Nisko, Apr 27, 2018
  3. Jose Est Win User
    Converting a dual boot system disc to single boot

Hi Panagiotis,

I agree with your observation that the Linux Boot Manager may have taken over.

It's great to hear that you have a friend who is an expert with computer software such as Linux. We strongly suggest to wait for your friend's assessment on our boot management concern.

Get back to us with the outcome so we can help further.

Jose Est, Apr 27, 2018
  4. How do I change a dual boot into a single boot PC

Converting a dual boot system disc to single boot

Hi,

Here is info how to choose default system - and you can also remove others.

How to Choose a Default Operating System to Run at Startup in Windows 1

Choose Default Operating System to Run at Startup in Windows 10

It would be best to remove the Linux partition with Linux and then re-make it in Windows. However you can try using Windows Disk Manager to remove it.

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Apr 27, 2018
  5. Clintlgm Win User
    The easiest way would be to Image the entire SSD with Macrium Reflect. Then clean install windows 10. after install complete and updated then mount the image of your SSD and just move the files you want back to the new C:/ into there proper Library folders. MHO

Clintlgm, Apr 27, 2018
  6. AddRAM Win User
    Drive F ?

I thought it was a partition ?

You are getting your terms mixed up. A drive is an entire disk, a partition is a section of a disk.

When you boot into the partition you are calling F, it will be C, not F.

Let`s 1st post a shot of Disk Management, and go from there.

AddRAM, Apr 27, 2018
  7. smirk30 Win User
    Download easy bcd to the partition you want to keep then while still on the partition you installed easy bcd to delete the partition of the operating system you dont want using disk management

NOTE: you need to be sure your only deleting the partitions that belong to the os you dont want.

Easybcd will be used to modify the boot record to delete the unwanted os boot record from the system.

Or you can use msconfig to do the same as easybcd

Link to easybcd:
    EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies

smirk30, Apr 27, 2018
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Explain what you mean by place all your programs on the clean install partition F:. Do you mean you are booted into Windows on C: drive and when you install a program you tell it to use F: for the location to install to? Then at some point you want to boot into what is now F: and use those programs? You can't really do that. Because while some of the program's files will get written onto drive F:, all the registry entries required for that program to run properly in Windows will be made in the registry on drive C:.

When you boot into what is now F:, it will automatically become C:, but it won't have any of the registry entries and other shortcuts required to run the programs that you installed under the first C: drive.

NavyLCDR, Apr 28, 2018
  9. Nisko Win User
    Sorry for the confusion. What I called Drive F is really the second partition on my SSD which now holds the clean install of Windows 10.

Nisko, Apr 28, 2018
  10. Nisko Win User
    Perhaps my explanation wasn't clear. I want to install all the programs I want on Partition F (while booted into it). This is my clean install. When they all work as I want them to, I intend to delete the current partition C: (the old installation) and just use the clean install. Hope that's clear.

Nisko, Apr 28, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I change a dual boot into a single boot PC - Similar Threads - change dual boot

2. Changing dual boot Windows computer to single

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changing dual boot Windows computer to single: W7/W10 dual boot computer My computer was initially a W7 machine. Besides System Reserved, there have been three partitions on the machine's single drive: 1) A primary partition with W7, program files, etc. 2) "My Stuff" (my documents and project files) 3) "Video" for my...
  3. How do I standardize the dual boot selection screen

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I standardize the dual boot selection screen: Hi, I have a Win10 and Win8.1 dual boot system. When the system boots I usually get this screen. [img] Rarely do I get the screen I would like to standardize on. [img] How do I get the system to always use the GUI vs Console version of the boot select screen. Thanks...
  4. how do i dual boot with windows 10 and 7

how do i dual boot with windows 10 and 7: so i want to dual boot windows 10 and 7 i have copied win7 installation files into my usb stick i created a new drive for win7 i took storage from my hdd i added 100gb to win7 drive but do i lose my data when i install win7 on a drive that i took storage from hdd so pls reply...
  5. Dual boot on one PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dual boot on one PC: I have a current HDD on a PC with windows 10 Home and a new HDD on the same PC with Windows 10 Pro installed. I want to boot from each hard drive at different times and know how to do that, however since I use my Microsoft account to keep track of my devices and currently...
  6. How do I repair a dual boot system.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do I repair a dual boot system.: I have Windows 7 and 10 on a SSD PC (c:) but I keep getting a report that files are corrupt. My system boots fine but I no longer see the dual boot screen at startup. If I'm running MS Solitaire Collection card games my the games crash sometimes. I have the original Win 7...
  7. Convert dual boot disk into single OS

Convert dual boot disk into single OS: Greetings all. May I ask for a bit of sanity check please. I have a PC running two Windows 10 OS's on two separate partitions. Windows asks me which one I want to run when booting up. I now want to remove one OS and recover its space. If I understand correctly I need to:...
  8. Convert dual boot to single boot

Convert dual boot to single boot: I currently have a dual boot (separate drives) of Win 10 Pro and the Win 10 Insider. I'm considering dropping the Insider and only having my production Win 10 Pro. I had the Insider versions to test my recording studio software and hardware but that is no longer necessary...
  9. I do not have a dual boot screen

I do not have a dual boot screen: Just installed Windows Insider on new computer - drive 0. Drive 1 is my Windows Creator. After the install of Insider, I do not have a dual boot screen that comes up. I have a feeling it has something to do with UEFI but I don't know what. Any Ideas? What can I do to make the...
  10. What is my upgrade path from dual boot back to single boot

What is my upgrade path from dual boot back to single boot: My laptop has dual boot - Windows 7 and Windows 10. My Win7 environment is my main working environment with lots of programs installed and important files. I installed the Win10 environnment just to play around with 10 during the technical preview. Now, I would like to...