Windows 10: How Do I Change Default "Shut Windows Down " (Alt+F4 Desktop) Selection?

Discus and support How Do I Change Default "Shut Windows Down " (Alt+F4 Desktop) Selection? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi all, So, recently, my windows 10 suddenly started automatically selecting "switch user" when hitting alt+f4 on desktop. I've been hitting alt+f4... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Volvith, Apr 7, 2020.

1. How Do I Change Default "Shut Windows Down " (Alt+F4 Desktop) Selection?

Hi all,

So, recently, my windows 10 suddenly started automatically selecting "switch user" when hitting alt+f4 on desktop.

I've been hitting alt+f4 and slamming enter for years now, and i'd very much like to change it back to it's default behaviour.

I've tried changing the local group policy fix, and the registry fix for both current user and local machine, but it doesn't seem to work.

(Link utilized: https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/th...shut-down-windows-dialog-in-windows-10.81809/)

... Help?

EDIT: I should probably mention that the folder "Explorer" under "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\" in the registry didn't exist before, wondering if that might be the cause of the problem?...

submitted by /u/Volvith
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Volvith, Apr 7, 2020
  2. MichelB62 Win User

Alt-F4 to close Windows? --> Switch User

I was used to turn off my computer by pressing Alt-F4 a few times. It would end with a window opening that had as default 'Shut down'. Not any more. Now I get 'Switch user' as default. And choosing 'Shut down' will not give me that wanted and expected
    choice the next time. I even used the regular way to shut down my computer, by clicking Start (followed by Power and Shut down) hoping it would revert back. How can I get my 'Shut down' back when I press Alt-F4?

MichelB62, Apr 7, 2020
  3. alt+tab action changed. It does not cycle to desktop. How to get to desktop without mouse? How with mouse in 1 click?

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Press the WinKey+M this will minimize everything and display the Desktop.

• You Can click the lowest right corner or use
      alt +F4

• You can use Windows+D or right-click the taskbar and select
      View Desktop or right-click in the lower left corner and select
      Desktop

In future, if you have any issues related to Windows, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Apr 7, 2020
  4. How Do I Change Default "Shut Windows Down " (Alt+F4 Desktop) Selection?

How to change the default setting of the Shut Down Windows dialog (Alt-F4)?

After a recent Windows update, the default option (when I press Alt-F4) in the Shut Down Windows dialog in Windows 10 has changed on my laptop:

How Do I Change Default "Shut Windows Down " (Alt+F4 Desktop) Selection? bceVs.png

The default option is now Switch user. Previously it was what I wanted: Shut down.

How can I restore Shut down as the default?1

Windows version: Windows 10 Home2

1. To avoid a catastrophic mistake, I would prefer not to edit the registry.

2. When I entered the question, the build was v1803. While processing the accepted answer, I rebooted Windows and it updated to v1903.

Reinstate Monica - Goodbye SE, Apr 7, 2020
Thema:

How Do I Change Default "Shut Windows Down " (Alt+F4 Desktop) Selection?

1. How Do I Change Default "Shut Windows Down " (Alt+F4 Desktop) Selection? - Similar Threads - Change Default Shut

2. Windows 11 alt + F4 "shut down" changed to "change user" when an update is pending

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 alt + F4 "shut down" changed to "change user" when an update is pending: When i want to turn off my computer using the window open by alt + F4, normally the default option is a simple "shut down", BUT when there is a windows update waiting for restart, it for some god forsaken reason defaults to "change user".Why is it that in windows 10 the...
  3. Windows 11 alt + F4 "shut down" changed to "change user" when an update is pending

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 alt + F4 "shut down" changed to "change user" when an update is pending: When i want to turn off my computer using the window open by alt + F4, normally the default option is a simple "shut down", BUT when there is a windows update waiting for restart, it for some god forsaken reason defaults to "change user".Why is it that in windows 10 the...
  4. Windows 11 alt + F4 "shut down" changed to "change user" when an update is pending

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
  5. Alt + F4 for shut down for an update, windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Alt + F4 for shut down for an update, windows 11: Usually I use ALT+F4 to shut down my PC, but in windows 11, when an update is required, I can no longer use the ALT+F4 shut down menu to actually shut down or restart the PC. I have to use the windows menu -> power -> and then I can choose "update and shut down" or "update...
  6. Alt + F4 for shut down for an update, windows 11

Alt + F4 for shut down for an update, windows 11: Usually I use ALT+F4 to shut down my PC, but in windows 11, when an update is required, I can no longer use the ALT+F4 shut down menu to actually shut down or restart the PC. I have to use the windows menu -> power -> and then I can choose "update and shut down" or "update...
  7. how to change alt+fn+f4 to alt+f4

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to change alt+fn+f4 to alt+f4: i want to change alt+fn+f4 to alt+f4 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-altfnf4-to-altf4/2d129716-bd1c-4dea-9dcd-9d312246cdff
  8. how to change alt+fn+f4 to alt+f4

how to change alt+fn+f4 to alt+f4: i want to change alt+fn+f4 to alt+f4 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-altfnf4-to-altf4/2d129716-bd1c-4dea-9dcd-9d312246cdff
  9. how to change alt+fn+f4 to alt+f4

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. How to disable "shut down windows" popup when pressing Alt + F4

in Windows 10 Support
    How to disable "shut down windows" popup when pressing Alt + F4: This happens when i click the taskbar or my mouse or no open window is selected and i press Alt + F4 so I get this. I know i dont regularly press alt F4 unless i want to kill a process but I just want to disable this window, i remember enabling it but i dont know how i did it...