Windows 10: Change Default Action of Shut Down Windows Dialog in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Default Action of Shut Down Windows Dialog in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Default Action of Shut Down Windows Dialog in Windows 10 How to Change Default Action of Shut Down Windows Dialog in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Change Default Action of Shut Down Windows Dialog in Windows 10

How to: Change Default Action of Shut Down Windows Dialog in Windows 10

How to Change Default Action of Shut Down Windows Dialog in Windows 10

The Shut Down Windows dialog is what you see when you press the Alt+F4 keys without any currently open windows selected.

*Warning If you press the Alt+F4 keys with a window selected (active), that window will be closed.

The Shut Down Windows dialog allows you to select from the actions below for what you want the computer to do.
    Shut down is the action selected by default in the Shut Down Windows dialog, but you can change the default action if wanted.

This tutorial will show you how to change the default action of the Alt+F4 Shut Down Windows dialog for your account, specific users, or all users in Windows 10.

*note If you remove hibernate from the power menu, Hibernate will not be available in the Shut Down Windows dialog.

*note If you remove sleep from the power menu, Sleep will not be available in the Shut Down Windows dialog.

*note If you have a Windows Update waiting to restart the computer to finish, you will have the Update and shut down (default) and Update and restart actions available in the Shut Down Windows dialog.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Change Default Action of Shut Down Windows Dialog for Current User using a REG file
    • Option Two: Change Default Action of Shut Down Windows Dialog for All or Specific Users in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Three: Change Default Action of Shut Down Windows Dialog for All Users using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Shut Down Windows dialog

Change Default Action of Shut Down Windows Dialog in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Change Default Action of Shut Down Windows Dialog for Current User using a REG file
    *note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Start_PowerButtonAction DWORD

100 (hex) = Switch user
    1 (hex) = Sign out
    10 (hex) = Sleep
    40 (hex) = Hibernate
    2 (hex) = Shut down
    4 (hex) = Restart

1. Do step 2 (Switch user), step 3 (Sign out), step 4 (Sleep), step 5 (Hibernate), step 6 (Shut down), or step 7 (Restart) below for what you want as the default action.

2. To Set "Switch User" as default action of Shut Down Windows Dialog for Current User
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 8 below.

Set_Shut_Down_Windows_default_action_to_Switch_User_for_current_user.reg

Download

3. To Set "Sign out" as default action of Shut Down Windows Dialog for Current User
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 8 below.

Set_Shut_Down_Windows_default_action_to_Sign_Out_for_current_user.reg

Download

4. To Set "Sleep" as default action of Shut Down Windows Dialog for Current User

Set_Shut_Down_Windows_default_action_to_Sleep_for_current_user.reg

Download

5. To Set "Hibernate" as default action of Shut Down Windows Dialog for Current User

Set_Shut_Down_Windows_default_action_to_Hibernate_for_current_user.reg

Download

6. To Set "Shut down" as default action of Shut Down Windows Dialog for Current User
    *note This is the default setting.

Set_Shut_Down_Windows_default_action_to_Shut_Down_for_current_user.reg

Download

7. To Set "Restart" as default action of Shut Down Windows Dialog for Current User

Set_Shut_Down_Windows_default_action_to_Restart_for_current_user.reg

Download
    8. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

9. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

10. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

11. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Change Default Action of Shut Down Windows Dialog for All or Specific Users in Local Group Policy Editor
    *note You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.

If enforced, this option will override Option One.

The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Three.

1. Open the all users except administrators Local Group Policy Editor for how you want this policy applied.

2. In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, and Start Menu and Taskbar. (see screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Start Menu and Taskbar, double click/tap on the Change Start Menu power button policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (default) or step 6 (change) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Restore Default Action of Shut Down Windows Dialog
    *note This step will allow users to use Option One.

A) Select (dot) Not Configured, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Change Default Action for Shut Down Windows Dialog for All or Specific Users
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, select either Shut down, Sleep, Log off, Restart, Switch User, or Hibernate in the "Options" drop menu for the default action you want, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Lock is not supported as a default action in Windows 10, and will be the same as Shut down.

7. When finished, you can close Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Change Default Action of Shut Down Windows Dialog for All Users using a REG file
    *note You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.

If enforced, this option will override Option One.

The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

PowerButtonAction DWORD

(delete) = Default user choice
    100 (hex) = Switch user
    1 (hex) = Sign out
    10 (hex) = Sleep
    40 (hex) = Hibernate
    2 (hex) = Shut down
    4 (hex) = Restart

1. Do step 2 (Switch user), step 3 (Sign out), step 4 (Sleep), step 5 (Hibernate), step 6 (Shut down), step 7 (Restart), or step 8 (default) below for what you want as the default action.

2. To Set "Switch User" as default action of Shut Down Windows Dialog for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 9 below.

Set_Shut_Down_Windows_default_action_to_Switch_User_for_all_users.reg

Download

3. To Set "Sign out" as default action of Shut Down Windows Dialog for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 9 below.

Set_Shut_Down_Windows_default_action_to_Sign_Out_for_all_users.reg

Download

4. To Set "Sleep" as default action of Shut Down Windows Dialog for All Users

Set_Shut_Down_Windows_default_action_to_Sleep_for_all_users.reg

Download

5. To Set "Hibernate" as default action of Shut Down Windows Dialog for All Users

Set_Shut_Down_Windows_default_action_to_Hibernate_for_all_users.reg

Download

6. To Set "Shut down" as default action of Shut Down Windows Dialog for All Users

Set_Shut_Down_Windows_default_action_to_Shut_Down_for_all_users.reg

Download

7. To Set "Restart" as default action of Shut Down Windows Dialog for All Users

Set_Shut_Down_Windows_default_action_to_Restart_for_all_users.reg

Download

8. To Restore Default Action of Shut Down Windows Dialog
    *note This step will allow users to use Option One.

Default_Shut_Down_Windows_action_user_choice_for_all_users.reg

Download
    8. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

10. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

11. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

12. restart the computer to apply.

13. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jul 11, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Monk.e83 Win User
    Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Back to Windows 10 for me!

The laptop I just put Windows 10 on:
    a) had GWX
    b) never installed Windows 10 before deadline
    c) had legitimate Windows 7 system builder license
    d) never did Windows 7 -> Windows 10 in-place upgrade

When I installed Windows 10:
    a) I had the network cable plugged in from the start
    b) when prompted for a key, I entered the Windows 7 key
    c) when I got into Windows and looked at System, it was kind of glitching out ("Windows is not activiated" but the only button there was the admin logo to change key. I clicked on that admin logo and it popped up the dialog to reenter the key. I thought "oh shit" but then noticed in the background it updated the System dialog and said "Windows is activated." I canceled out of the change key dialog and it's activated.

From this, I gather that the July 29 cut off was more about people still buying Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 having the upgrade option to Windows 10 (kind of like how they were selling XP Pro with Vista upgrade). It was less about people that have older systems because GWX's purpose in life was to get the hardware profile to Microsoft.

FordGT90Concept, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Change Default Action of Shut Down Windows Dialog in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Default Action

2. Shut Down Window Changing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shut Down Window Changing: The Alt-F4 Shut Down window is changing, slightly, by dropping the From thisTo thisMay see this in 22H2.Cheers,Drew https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shut-down-window-changing/43a54b56-d054-4838-8f46-54084184dc41
  3. Shut Down Window Changing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shut Down Window Changing: The Alt-F4 Shut Down window is changing, slightly, by dropping the From thisTo thisMay see this in 22H2.Cheers,Drew https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shut-down-window-changing/43a54b56-d054-4838-8f46-54084184dc41
  4. Windows 10 shut down dialog box stuck with "sign out" as default option

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 shut down dialog box stuck with "sign out" as default option: Recently, I've had two computers get stuck with the shut down dialog box with "switch user" as the default option rather than "shut down". How do I change this? Switch user is a pointless option for both computers as they only have one user account. My preliminary searches...
  5. Shut Down Windows screen defaulting to Switch User Windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Shut Down Windows screen defaulting to Switch User Windows 10: I don't know what happened at all. Just one night last weekend I said shut down, went to bed. When I woke up the next day, laptop is sitting there running. I press alt+F4 on the desktop and the window pops up and it is now defaulting to Switch User instead of Shut Down. I'm...
  6. Change Windows default email action?

in Browsers and Email
    Change Windows default email action?: I used Gmail in Chrome to send/receive my email. When I click on an email address that is on a website or anywhere else, Windows by default opens it's own email window and wants me to use that rather than Gmail to send & receive messages. I want no part of that and would like...
  7. Changing Explorer Default Action

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Explorer Default Action: For htm files, the default windows action is Open. Click on it and it opens the file in your browser. Problem is I don't want to do this. I want to edit the htm file, but I can't seem to find anything to change the default. This doesn't seem to be an option anywhere. I could...
  8. Change Drag and Drop Default Action in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Drag and Drop Default Action in Windows: How to: Change Drag and Drop Default Action in Windows How to Change Default Drag and Drop Action in Windows [img] Information When you drag and drop files and folders in Windows, they will get moved or copied by default based on the source and destination locations....
  9. Change Lid Close Default Action in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Lid Close Default Action in Windows 10: How to: Change Lid Close Default Action in Windows 10 How to Change Default Action of Closing Lid in Windows 10 The Power Options lets users specify the default action to take when the laptop (system) lid is closed. Users can specify one of the following actions to...
  10. Change Default Action of Power Button in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Action of Power Button in Windows 10: How to: Change Default Action of Power Button in Windows 10 How to Change Default Action of Power Button in Windows 10 The Power Options lets users specify the default action to take when the system hardware power button on the PC is pressed. Users can specify one of...