Windows 10: How do I change user folder in C:\Users\<username> [Fall Creators Upd]

Discus and support How do I change user folder in C:\Users\ [Fall Creators Upd] in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello! Title says it all. I have a rather weird background and motivation as to why I want to do this: it's because I have been playing this visual... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Kensta1092, Nov 6, 2017.

1. How do I change user folder in C:\Users\ [Fall Creators Upd]

Hello!

Title says it all. I have a rather weird background and motivation as to why I want to do this: it's because I have been playing this visual novel called Doki Doki Literature Club!, and one of the characters breaks the 4th wall by calling out your name - Based on the name of the user folder, that is.

Mine happened to be "hp.pc", which made me cringe when I saw that name in the dialogue. Why? Because I'm on a laptop and this was the username ever since Windows 8.1.

So, my question stands as it is in the title. How do I change the name of my user folder in "C:\Users"? I'm asking this again because all posts I've read are for previous versions (Anniversary, mainly), and I doubt it's largely the same in Fall Creators Update.

I'm on Windows 10 Home x64 Fall Creators Update.

:)

Kensta1092, Nov 6, 2017

2. IE11 normal Cookies are gone since Creators Fall Update

There are absolutely NOTHING in that folder!

Did you do a Clean Install of the Fall Creators Update?

Perhaps then there are some contents in that folder.

I think all we others here that are missing our Cookies, all have Updated to Fall Creators Update on Top of older versions, and then your suggested folder are empty.

AndersWillhelmsson, Nov 6, 2017
  3. IE11 normal Cookies are gone since Creators Fall Update

I found the folder(s) where the cookies are!

They are now stored in multiple folders here: C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\#!001\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DOMStore\

Since the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update the cookies are placed in multiple folders.

I hope this helps.

-Victor

Victor van Hillo, Nov 6, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

How do I change user folder in C:\Users\ [Fall Creators Upd]

dalchina, Nov 6, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    It is not straight forward, and requires registry editing. The Fall Creators Update should work the same as all previous versions. Tutorial here....
    Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10

The easier (but not by much) way to get a new user folder name is to create a new local user account in a different name, make it an administrator, them migrate your documents and settings over to the new account.

If this name change is only needed for playing this visual novel, why not just create a second user account just to play it? That would be easier (and less risk or making a mistake) than either of the above options. That way you'd be able to keep the username you seem to be so fond of for all other purposes.

As you are running x64, you could sign in as your normal user, then use Fast User Switching when you want to play. When done, sign out of the 'play' account and you'll be able to go back to your normal account and carry on from where you left off as if nothing had happened.

Switch User in Windows 10

Bree, Nov 6, 2017
  6. Thanks for the answers! I appreciate them!
    @Bree While playing the visual novel is my only reason to change my user folder name, I honestly do have a bit of OCD and would also like to have it under my actual name....

Again, thank you very much, I'll mark as solved once I've done it and imported everything over...

TL;DR Thank you very, very much. I did the above tutorial and didn't run into issues. However, the visual novel didn't read off of the user folder, but directly my local account's username, so I changed it to something else and voila. Either way, I'm satisfied now that I see my name instead of "hp.pc"

Kensta1092, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How do I change user folder in C:\Users\ [Fall Creators Upd]

1. How do I change user folder in C:\Users\ [Fall Creators Upd] - Similar Threads - change user folder

2. How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?: I have a Microsoft account which I have been using for a long time. Recently i restored my pc to factory settings OEM settings and i was asked to connect it to my Microsoft account while it was setting up windows 11.Now the problem is, the username folder the pc is showing is...
  3. How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?: I have a Microsoft account which I have been using for a long time. Recently i restored my pc to factory settings OEM settings and i was asked to connect it to my Microsoft account while it was setting up windows 11.Now the problem is, the username folder the pc is showing is...
  4. Changed username but "C:\Users\UserName" is not reflecting change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changed username but "C:\Users\UserName" is not reflecting change: Hello all,I am having an issue where my username is causing errors in other software. The reason is because my username has a space in it, and certain engineering software I use cannot reach files in that folder or any subfolders.To remedy this I changed my username by...
  5. Changed username but "C:\Users\UserName" is not reflecting change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changed username but "C:\Users\UserName" is not reflecting change: Hello all,I am having an issue where my username is causing errors in other software. The reason is because my username has a space in it, and certain engineering software I use cannot reach files in that folder or any subfolders.To remedy this I changed my username by...
  6. Changed username but "C:\Users\UserName" is not reflecting change

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. How to change c:/users/*username*?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change c:/users/*username*?: When I first set up my PC, it set up my username as my email which was something really stupid I made when I was 12. I can't seem to find out how to change it and all the tutorials make it seem really complicated. Surely there has to be an easy way to change it, right?...
  8. Changing C:\Users\USERNAME

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing C:\Users\USERNAME: When setting up a computer, you are initially prompted to create a username. Once this name is created, how can it be changed? To be clear, you can change your personal account name (found under Settings>Account>Your Info), but this does not change C:\Users\USERNAME (or...
  9. How do I change name of user folder from default? (C:>Users>USER)

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How do I change name of user folder from default? (C:>Users>USER): i just got a new laptop and the users folder is stuck with the name as just "user". i thought that since i have my microsoft account on the laptop it would change the user folder name automatically using the first 5 letters of my email (as it did on my old computer), but it...
  10. Fall Creator, created addtional user folders

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fall Creator, created addtional user folders: Something I have done for many years is keep my data and a separate drive to my OS, and I am sure many of you do the same. Under W7 and now W10 I use the location tab in the folder properties to move date folders to my "D" drive; however I have noticed that under 1709 a...