Windows 10: Switch User in Windows 10

Discus and support Switch User in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Switch User in Windows 10 How to Switch User in Windows 10 If you have more than one user account on your PC, Fast User Switching is an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cluster Head, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Switch User in Windows 10

How to: Switch User in Windows 10

How to Switch User in Windows 10

If you have more than one user account on your PC, Fast User Switching is an easy way for you to switch between accounts or for another user to sign in to Windows without signing you out or closing your apps and files.

This tutorial will show you different ways on how to switch between users without signing out on your local Windows 10 PC.

*note If you are logged on to a remote computer (for instance, using Remote Desktop Connection), you can't use Fast User Switching on that computer.

*Warning Make sure to save any open files before switching users because Windows doesn't automatically save files that are open. If you switch to a different user account and that user shuts down the computer, any unsaved changes you made to files that are open on your account will be lost.

CONTENTS:

OPTION ONE [/i] To Switch User from Start Menu
    1. Open the *Start Start menu, click/tap on your user name (ex: Shawn Brink), and click/tap on the user account (ex: Brink2) you want to switch to. (see screenshots below)

*note If you have full-screen Start turned on, then you will need to first click/tap on the
    Switch User in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    menu button at the top left corner of Start.

2. You will now be taken directly to the sign-in screen of the selected account (ex: Brink2). (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Switch User by Running tsdiscon.exe
    *note This option is not available in the Windows 10 Home edition.
    1. Run the "C:\Windows\System32\tsdiscon.exe" file from Search, Run, command prompt, File Explorer, or how you like.

2. You will now be taken to the lock screen to unlock. (see screenshots below)

3. You will now be on the sign-in screen to select and sign in to the account you want to switch to. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Switch User from Alt+F4 Shut Down Windows Dialog
    1. Click/tap on your desktop (Win+D) to make it the current focused (active) window, and press the Alt+F4 keys.

2. Select Switch user in the drop down menu, and click/tap on OK or press Enter. (see screenshots below)

3. You will now be taken to the lock screen to unlock. (see screenshots below)

4. You will now be on the sign-in screen to select and sign in to the account you want to switch to. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Switch User from Ctrl+Alt+Del Screen
    1. Press the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys, and click/tap on Switch user. (see screenshot below)

2. You will now be taken directly to the sign-in screen to select and sign in to the account you want to switch to. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Switch User from Sign-in Screen
    1. While on the sign-in screen, select and sign in to the account you want to switch to. (see screenshot below)

OPTION SIX [/i] To Switch User from Task Manager
    1. Open Task Manager in more details view.

2. Click/tap on the Users tab, right click or press and hold on an already signed in user (ex: Brink2) that you want to switch to, and click/tap on Switch user account. (see screenshot below)

OR

Click/tap on the Users tab, select on an already signed in user (ex: Brink2) that you want to switch to, and click/tap on the Switch user button.

3. You will now be taken directly to the sign-in screen of the selected account (ex: Brink2). (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Cluster Head, Apr 22, 2016

2. Cant switch users in Windows 10

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused. We are glad to help you.

Please share a few details:

• What exactly happens when you try to switch users?

• Do you receive any error message/code?

• Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to follow the below steps to Switch users.

• Press Ctrl + Alt + Del key altogether.

• Click on Switch User.

• Select the user with which you want to login.

If computer starts up with a user other than the one you want, login to that user account and switch user to the account that you need and check.

Hope this information helps. Do contact us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Can't sign out or switch users in windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community.

If you are willing to switch between user try the steps provided below and see if it helps.

• Press Alt+F4.
    • This will open shut down window.
    • Click the down arrow key and select Switch user from the list.
    • Hit OK and it will show you other user account present on the PC.

Switch User in Windows 10 choose-switch-user-and-tap-ok.png

Do keep us updated.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Switch User in Windows 10

How can I switch users in Windows 10?

Hi Jan,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern and will assist you with the steps to Switch users.

• Press Ctrl+Alt+Del key altogether.
    • Click on Switch User.
    • Select the user with which you want to login.
    Hope it helps. Let us know if you need more information and we'll be happy to assist you.

Navneet Anand, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Mala_S Win User
    Switch User Profiles in Windows 10

Hello Amy CarolHunter,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Windows has a concept of Switch User in which multiple users can share one device and work on it. If you are sharing your PC with another person, ensure that you have saved all open documents to keep it secure. To know the list of accounts present
    on your PC, you can press Windows + R keys and type netplwiz and click
    OK. It will help you with the list of account entries.

If you have more than one user account on your PC and want to switch between users, kindly follow the steps listed below and see if it helps.

Method 1: To Switch User from Start Menu.

When you click on the Start menu, tap on your user name and click on the user account you want to switch. For better understanding, you may refer to an article on -
    How to switch users (accounts) in Windows 10.

Method 2: Switch User from Classic Shut Down Windows Dialog.

• Click on the empty space on your Desktop and press
      Alt + F4 keys.
    • ‘Shut Down Windows’ dialog opens, select Switch user from the list and click on
      OK.
    • Else, you can press Ctrl + Alt + Del keys on your keyboard and select
      Switch user.

Let us know how it goes. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Switch User in Windows 10

1. Switch User in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Switch User

2. Local accounts on computer not appearing in Switch User panel or startup screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Local accounts on computer not appearing in Switch User panel or startup screen: Hello everyone, this issue has been going on for a few weeks nowIn doing some rutinary computer cleaning, I found a user folder in C: that was from a local account that I renamed at some point in time, but the user folder was "duplicated" so there was a user folder with the...
  3. About switching users in window 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    About switching users in window 10: I am Suman. I find an error during starting my computer. My computer's window has 2 users , second users created by me on yesterday's afternoon. When I created that user then they ask to choose and default application on new user, after choosing default application. I turn...
  4. I need some help repairing the Windows login/switch user interface on my pc.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need some help repairing the Windows login/switch user interface on my pc.: Hi all, averge technical knowledge, no third party support. I jhave a personal PC with my onw main user full admin rights, a Guest, the system administrator and previously two third party admin users PC was used in a work capacity and required oversight of securoty etc. I...
  5. I need some help repairing the Windows login/switch user interface on my pc.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need some help repairing the Windows login/switch user interface on my pc.: Hi all, averge technical knowledge, no third party support. I jhave a personal PC with my onw main user full admin rights, a Guest, the system administrator and previously two third party admin users PC was used in a work capacity and required oversight of securoty etc. I...
  6. Can you switch emails under a user on windows without making a new user.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can you switch emails under a user on windows without making a new user.: My Microsoft acc got hacked and couldn’t be restored, so I made a new one. How can I switch the user without making a new one or losing everything in the current user?...
  7. Can you switch emails under a user on windows without making a new user.

Can you switch emails under a user on windows without making a new user.: My Microsoft acc got hacked and couldn’t be restored, so I made a new one. How can I switch the user without making a new one or losing everything in the current user?...
  8. Can I switch users while disk defragmentation is running?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I switch users while disk defragmentation is running?: Disk defragmentation has been running for 17 hours. Current status is at pass1: 40% consolidated. I need to login into admin user account. Would it be OK if I leave the current process as it is and switch users?...
  9. Can I switch users while disk defragmentation is running?

Can I switch users while disk defragmentation is running?: Disk defragmentation has been running for 17 hours. Current status is at pass1: 40% consolidated. I need to login into admin user account. Would it be OK if I leave the current process as it is and switch users?...
  10. User switching unavailable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User switching unavailable: Hello - I am setting up a windows 11 pro machine for a new user at a customer site we service. They use Entra only not hybrid to domain join their machines. I setup a local administrator account and joined the device to Entra using the credentials of the user that will be...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ex.Brink2