Windows 10: How do i Disable Cortana process?

Discus and support How do i Disable Cortana process? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; It's interesting to see that after i "disabled" it from the options, the process Cortana is still running and is tied to searchui.exe . And after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MSLovesNSA, Jul 28, 2015.

1. How do i Disable Cortana process?

It's interesting to see that after i "disabled" it from the options, the process Cortana is still running and is tied to searchui.exe . And after deleting Cortanaware, the windows search bar stopped responding for good lol!

Is there any other way to stop this from the services or something? i've looked for it and found nothing. It's funny how MS tells you Cortana is "disabled" but the process in task manager is still up and running just fine.

:)

MSLovesNSA, Jul 28, 2015

2. How do i disable cortana?

I have windows 10.

Hale_Storm, Jul 28, 2015
  3. SOISK Win User
    SOISK, Jul 28, 2015
  4. How do i Disable Cortana process?

My complaint, exactly.

I fear that Cortana is bound up with Windows Search, as Edge appears to be. Don't like Cortana, don't like Edge. I found that there are some changes in group policy, in addition to the so-called 'settings' method. No change, though.

The hero who can solves this problem must speak up!

DennisHallack, Jul 30, 2015
  5. After doing a bit of digging into this question here is what I found that may best fit your needs. If this sin't helpful let me know and I will dig more .
    How to disable Cortana in Windows 10

Hellishdream, Jul 30, 2015
  6. Ashton241 Win User
    I just removed all user permissions from the searchui.exe then end task and now it doesnt reload *Smile

Ashton241, Jul 30, 2015
  7. Rocky Win User
    I have my Cortana disabled and everything just set to Google.

Rocky, Jul 30, 2015
  8. How do i Disable Cortana process?

My solution is to right-click, Open File Location. Then, go back, and Go to Details, from there end the process tree. Once you end the process tree, rename the folder and move it to a different folder, or delete it entirely. I don't know what MS will do in the long run, or even address Cortana, so, caution.

PhegPhaceKat, Aug 1, 2015
  9. KWKSLVR Win User
    Just a heads up to others, I went with this route and it does squash Cortana. In my case, I added a "0" to the end of the folder. However, upon reboot Windows made a new folder for Cortanta, but it was still disabled. I attempted to enable Cortana by renaming the new folder (added a 1 to the end) and renaming the original folder (removing the 0) and rebooting. It didn't work. So then I went to an elevated command prompt ( WIN+X --> Windows Powershell ADMIN ) and ran sfc /scannow which fixed the "corrupted files" and brought the search function back.

Just an FYI to those that decide they want to revert. Thanks for the method, PhegPhaceKat! *Biggrin

KWKSLVR, Aug 13, 2015
  10. DTG1 Win User
    I kinda liked the start menu search function, it didnt need an internet connection to use until Cortana BS came along, it really is a shame that it cant all be separated, killing Cortana in the process. However, if MS, didnt demand personal Information, Cortana might actually be useful. It's no SIRI that for sure.

11. Hydranix Win User
    This will disable Cortana.

Copy and paste into administrator cmd.exe

Code: netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="SearchUI.exe Telemetry" dir=out action=block program="%SystemRoot%\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe" description="This rule prevents the Cortana telemetry. (This will also disable Cortana voice recognition.)"[/quote] Or

Code: REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules" /v "{6439910F-8291-46F1-842A-D9A313E49FCE}" /t REG_SZ /d "v2.24|Action=Block|Active=TRUE|Dir=Out|App=%SystemRoot%\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe|Name=SearchUI.exe Telemetry|Desc=This rule prevents the Cortana telemetry. (This will also disable Cortana voice recognition.)|" /f[/quote]

SIRI collects more intrusive personal information than Cortana, it's just less transparent.

Hydranix, Aug 14, 2015
  12. DTG1 Win User
    Thanks, tucking those nuggets in for next time I have to reinstall.

13. Edward Win User

How do i Disable Cortana process?

Or

Code: REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules" /v "{6439910F-8291-46F1-842A-D9A313E49FCE}" /t REG_SZ /d "v2.24|Action=Block|Active=TRUE|Dir=Out|App=%SystemRoot%\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe|Name=SearchUI.exe Telemetry|Desc=This rule prevents the Cortana telemetry. (This will also disable Cortana voice recognition.)|" /f[/quote]

SIRI collects more intrusive personal information than Cortana, it's just less transparent.[/quote] It doesn't work.

Edward, Oct 9, 2015
  14. Edward Win User
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Oct 9, 2015
Thema:

How do i Disable Cortana process?

1. How do i Disable Cortana process? - Similar Threads - Disable Cortana process

2. How do I disable Cortana?

in Cortana
    How do I disable Cortana?: The Cortana window keeps popping up saying: Cortana is not available in your region.It's impossible to uninstall, I tried to find a solution on the forums, but can't find anything that works for me.Please help, this is driving me crazy!...
  3. How do I disable Cortana?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I disable Cortana?: The Cortana window keeps popping up saying: Cortana is not available in your region.It's impossible to uninstall, I tried to find a solution on the forums, but can't find anything that works for me.Please help, this is driving me crazy!...
  4. How do I disable Cortana?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cortana disabled, but cortana processes still wants to connect to internet.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana disabled, but cortana processes still wants to connect to internet.: Hi, I have disabled all cortana features in settings and O&O shutup 10, but the cortana processes is still establishing connections.How do I proceed to fully uninstall it?If I need an assistant, I will hire one....
  6. Partition question and how do i disable Cortana?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Partition question and how do i disable Cortana?: https://i.ibb.co/b37CzhL/20210130-133717.jpg Hey, so I installed win10 on a new pc. 2 questions 1) I have a 500gb ssd drive as primary. But during the convoluted install process I seem to have created some oddities. I've lost 450 to "recovery partition" and 100 to "healthy...
  7. how to disable cortana?

in Cortana
    how to disable cortana?: i noticed a few weeks ago that every time i go where i used to be able to search files i get the cortana voice. How do it get back file explorer and disable cortana? TY...
  8. How do I disable Cortana?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I disable Cortana?: I just want the search on my new laptop not have the thing running. submitted by /u/Shulk-skywalker [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gzzv01/how_do_i_disable_cortana/
  9. HELP!!! How do I disable Cortana!!?

in Cortana
    HELP!!! How do I disable Cortana!!?: I just got some sort of system update and Cortana is listening in on anything I do, from Skype to recording audio. All sorts of bazaar things are happening when I speak into my microphone. I don't want Cortana, I just want my computer to work. How can I disable Cortana? If I...
  10. How Do I Uninstall or Disable Cortana

in Cortana
    How Do I Uninstall or Disable Cortana: I appreciate that it exist and understand it has its uses but for me? Not really, I've never found it useful and it just sits in the background hogging ram. If it wouldn't be too much trouble I wouldn't mind being informed of a way to disable Cortana as there is nothing in...