Windows 10: How Do I Open Windows Explorer to Desktop by Default?

Discus and support How Do I Open Windows Explorer to Desktop by Default? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; How do I get windows explorer to open up to the desired directory by default? I want to be able to open it to the Desktop directory. How do I do this?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by yahanna, Sep 6, 2017.

1. yahanna Win User

How Do I Open Windows Explorer to Desktop by Default?

How do I get windows explorer to open up to the desired directory by default? I want to be able to open it to the Desktop directory. How do I do this?

:)

yahanna, Sep 6, 2017

2. How do I get windows 10 to open explorer when I insert a dvd disk?

How do I get windows 10 to open explorer when I insert a dvd disk? I previously selected "do nothing" and want to change it now.

Pinball_Dr, Sep 6, 2017
  3. How do I get windows 10 to open explorer when I insert a dvd disk?

Press Windows key + R

Type: control

Hit Enter

Open Autoplay

Under DVDs, click in the DVD list box and choose a default.

Andre Da Costa, Sep 6, 2017
  4. tcebob Win User

Here's my shortcut. Substitute your desktop location.

Code: C:\Windows\explorer.exe c:\users\bob\desktop[/quote]

tcebob, Sep 6, 2017
  5. yahanna Win User
    [/quote] I'm confused. What is this code?

yahanna, Sep 7, 2017
  6. Create a shortcut ...
    1. Right click on the desktop.
    2. Choose New and Shortcut.
    3. In the "location" box type in C:\Windows\explorer.exe c:\users\bob\desktop
    ... but instead of "bob" put in your user name.
    4. Click Next.
    5. In the "name" box type a name for this shortcut.6. Click Finish.

margrave55, Sep 7, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    If you like, you can create the shortcut using this below instead.

explorer.exe "%UserProfile%\Desktop"

Brink, Sep 7, 2017
  8. tcebob Win User

yahanna, apologies for the brief post. I had the same concern and found no systemic solution so I made a shortcut to open file explorer to desktop. Brink's variation is more generic, so you would not have to know where your desktop is located. This is only a partial solution and works when you click the new icon but not when some program opens explorer. I don't know how to kid the system to replace all instances of explorer - but I'd sure like to.

tcebob, Sep 7, 2017
  9. yahanna Win User
    Nope!! Thats not it. After creating a shortcut, when I use keyboard shortcut (Win + E) windows explorer opens up to 'This PC'.

yahanna, Sep 8, 2017
  10. spunk Win User
    ?? This PC is Windows (File) Explorer. Where you can explore the files on your computer. What were you looking for?

spunk, Sep 8, 2017
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yep, Win+E will not open this shortcut. It'll only open the default File Explorer.

You can pin to taskbar this shortcut to make it easier to open, or assign your own keyboard shortcut for it.

Shortcuts - Assign a Keyboard Shortcut to in Windows 8

Brink, Sep 8, 2017
  12. Rocky Win User
    For file explorer, just right click on your desktop and paste your link.

Rocky, Sep 8, 2017
  13. Rocky Win User

Your first post said absolutely nothing about a keyboard shortcut. Just follow the directions, they work well.

Rocky, Sep 8, 2017
  14. yahanna Win User
    I did that and it works. But the problem now is that the desktop folder's subfolders now opens in 'details' view not 'list' view. I used the tweak I found in this forum somewhere to open all folders in 'list' view by default. But it doesnt work for subfolders in this case. How do I fix it for all the desktop's subfolders in this case?

https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/set-default-folder-view-for-all-folders-in-windows-10.7919/

yahanna, Sep 8, 2017
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello yahanna,

Did you do both steps in the tutorial you linked to?

It's important to first set a default folder template for all folders, set the view how you want, and then "Apply to Folders" to apply that view to all folders using the same template.

Brink, Sep 8, 2017
Thema:

1. How Do I Open Windows Explorer to Desktop by Default? - Similar Threads - Open Explorer Desktop

2. How do I set an application to open to a specific virtual desktop by default?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I set an application to open to a specific virtual desktop by default?: I am trying to use virtual desktops. I want a desktop for active meetings that is my default location to open Teams, Zoom, Mural, Camera Controls, Sound Controls, Calendar Items in Outlook, & Word. I want a desktop for Office WIP that is the default location to open Excel,...
  3. How do I set an application to open to a specific virtual desktop by default?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I set an application to open to a specific virtual desktop by default?: I am trying to use virtual desktops. I want a desktop for active meetings that is my default location to open Teams, Zoom, Mural, Camera Controls, Sound Controls, Calendar Items in Outlook, & Word. I want a desktop for Office WIP that is the default location to open Excel,...
  4. How do i change Windows 10 explorer search default action to open file location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do i change Windows 10 explorer search default action to open file location: Hello everyone i need help with this problem which triggers me a little,How do i change that when i search for something in windows explorer and i click on it it doesn't open the file but it shows it in the folderlike when you right click and click on open file locationor how...
  5. How do i change Windows 10 explorer search default action to open file location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i change Windows 10 explorer search default action to open file location: Hello everyone i need help with this problem which triggers me a little,How do i change that when i search for something in windows explorer and i click on it it doesn't open the file but it shows it in the folderlike when you right click and click on open file locationor how...
  6. How do I change the default for opening files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I change the default for opening files?: I’m trying to download a zip file from google. When trying to open it, I was asked what application to open it with and was prompted with several options. I clicked “open with internet explorer” and that didn’t work out. I’ve downloaded a proper zip file opener application...
  7. how do I change the default to open an app

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how do I change the default to open an app: How do I change the program default to open a .jef file. The one I have is not working and I even deleted the old app, but it still won't change anything....
  8. How do you get file explorer to open libraries by default ?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do you get file explorer to open libraries by default ?: I'm used to working with quite a few libraries in W8.1 and would like file explorer in W10 to directly go to the libraries view if possible rather than the 'quick access' screen. Can it be done ? 7180
  9. How do i change the default dir when i open up windows explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    How do i change the default dir when i open up windows explorer: My C: is for OS only My E: is for all my stuff I am tired of opening up explorer only to have to click serveral times to get to E: For example it says quick access or thispc. I want it to default to E: when i open up explorer Is it possible, and how do i do that?...
  10. How Do I Get Windows Explorer to Open Desktop Folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    How Do I Get Windows Explorer to Open Desktop Folder?: Brink is right. That is the easiest way.